• + Reply to Thread

Thread: New Fish at Seahorse Aquatics

David M is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

New Fish at Seahorse Aquatics

SEAHORSES Now there's a novel idea

Yep, captive bred and raised Hiccompus erectus, the Lined Seahorse. Produced by Carlsbad Aquafarms, these horses are 3-4" and about 10 months old, eating voraciously and healthy as a ... well, you know

Seahorses should only be kept by experienced aquarists who understand thier special needs. A deicated tank is usually required as they are not reef compatible and they will do much better in the long run if kept at sub-tropical temperatures, preferably ~ 72F. Often this means a chiller is necessary but the cost is offset by the fact that you will not need expensive "reef" lighting or filtration (ie protein skimmer) and you will not need a large tank either, a standard 20 gallon tank is quite adaquate for a pair or two of erectus. A simple HOB filter like a Magnum 250 cannister or an Emperor 280 and a simple NO fluorescent light and you in business. Of course you can get more elaborate than that and design a simple softie reef environment for them if you want.

They will eat Frozen PE mysis (available here as well).

Seahorses well cared for will often breed in the aquarium. Some owners are stressed by the prospect of the fry perishing in the filter. The usual solution to this is to keep only one sex but if you are local there is a better choice, ME That's right, I will buy back any fry you collect from your tank !!

Cost is $ 60 per animal regardless of sex however they are typically purchased in pairs so same sex groups are by specal order only.

For more information on seahorses and thier husbandry you can visit seahorse.org, some bozo wrote an article for them a few years back and I just happen to have the link;

http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...orseFarm.shtml
      Last edited by David M; 04-25-2008 at 07:05 AM.

groovetube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

do you have other species??

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Did you happen to notice that the original thread here is over two years old? I don't think David has had seahorses in quite some time.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

ricenoodle is offline Registered User
      My status is: Cube Addict

I am:
      Set you mood here...

anyone been to his place lately, i'm thinking about getting some clowns from him when i get back in 2 weeks.

seahorse reef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If anyone is interested in keeping or raising seahorses, I highly recommend the Ocean Rider online training program offered by Pete Giwojna. The course consists of 10 lessons and contains lots of in-depth information from beginner to advanced levels. I started a softie reef and had always been interested in seahorses, but I wasn't sure if it was the right direction for me until I learned more details...turns out I was doing everything right and the information really helped me make an informed choice. A link is below for anyone who is interested:

http://www.seahorse.com/option,com_j...11553/catid,2/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information