• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Cryptocaryon (Ich) treatment instructions from SeaChem techsupport

Delphin22 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Cryptocaryon (Ich) treatment instructions from SeaChem techsupport

Hello all.

I know some say there are a million posts a week here about ich but I thought this info might help some of the others in this mess treating a reef tank for cryptocaryon.
      I posed these questions to Seachem for clarification on use of thier products
      Metrodiazonole, FOCUS, Garli Gaurd, Prime
      The post I did and responses are below:

I'm a noob, 2 months with a Salt water mixed reef tank.
      We got a new Regal Blue Hippo Dory Tang (LOL).
      She has Ich, I guess this is common.
      Obviously I should have used a dip and QT, but didnt. (noob)

I have a 90 gal tall ,30 gal sump, 55lbs live rock, 50lbs Live Sand. so treating about 100 gal
      Everyone on www.sdreefs.com recommends your products for this treatment of ich (cryptocaryon) in a reef tank.
      I'm treating with Metronidazole, Focus and Garlic Gaurd.

I have a few questions:

1. What is one measure, a level scoop or heaping scoop should I use a knife or something to level off the scoop provided to be accurate?

2. If I am treating Ich should I dose the water every other day for 4 more days after all the visible ich are off my Tang or just stop? So far shes the only one with visible spots.

3. Should I use the recommended 1.25 measures per 10 gal with scaleless fish like the Blue Tang, Oscellaris Clowns and Lawnmower Blenny?

4. Should I do water changes while treating or just wait till last dose and then do a 20% change?

5. For Ich do I need to use the Focus and if so should I add the Metronidazole to the food as well since its an external parasite? Also if I do, will either of these upset my Tang's digestive system?

6. Ive read recomendations to do a second treatment later to ensure all the other life stages (therons therites sp?) of the Ich are iradicated in my reef tank. Should I do this and when, 1 week later for 4 days?

May I post your reply on our web site to clarify some of these treatment methods for other members. Apparently I'm not the only one with Ich right now. LOL

Thanks in advance,

To answer your questions:

1) One measure is a level scoop, and you can use a knife or whatever you choose to level off the scoop that is provided.

2) To treat Ich, you need to dose exactly as the instructions state on the label. Since saltwater Ich (Crytocaryon) has ~21 day life cycle, you need to treat for 3 weeks.

3) Yes, you should use the recommended 1-2 measures for every 10 gallons with your fish.

4) Yes, you should continue with your regular tank maintenance (including water changes).

5) Use Metronidazole in the medicated food mix with Focus and Garlic Guard. Focus will bind the medication while adding antibacterial properties. Garlic Guard enhances the flavor, adds vitamin C, and has the natural parasite removal properties of garlic. Putting it in a food mix will keep the medication out of the water column and ensure that the fish internalize the medication and better treatment results. This should not upset your Tang's digestive system.

6) There is no need to do a second treatment later (unless the Ich reappears). Just make sure that you treat the Ich for the full 3 weeks and you should be fine.

Feel free to post this reply on your website. I hope this information helps; please let us know if you need further assistance.
      Last edited by Delphin22; 01-10-2008 at 07:23 PM.

467echo is offline Registered User
      My status is: Wet

I am:
      Awesome

good report! A+

Techknowledgy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks. So cool when people go out of their way to help us all like this. If I might add just one small tidbit, since I too had ick on a Hippo.

1. If the fish will eat tiny freeze dried plankton, use it. If they will eat dry flakes, use it.

2. MIx the three meds together first and with a toothpick or something like that stir it up. Then add the food.

3. Feed smaller amounts..... as much as they will eat in just a couple of minutes, so you are sure they actually eat it.

4. Like antibiotics for kids.... it is okay to start stronger and then slack off, but do the full three weeks to kill all stages of these *******s.

This needs to become the Ick Sticky here. Awesome post.

sandiegoryu is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I agree for sticky. This will help me tons.

Another question for the noob (me). Is it better to put the mixture and let the food soak overnight in the refrigerator? Or would a few minutes mixing with a toothpick suffice?

If you do not need to let the food soak overnight:

Do you keep making a new mixture every time you soak/feed or can you just take out the food and reuse the "cocktail?" If you can reuse, how long? I'm guessing you should remix the cocktail everyday but you can use it for the duration of the day.

I hope I made sense.

Delphin22 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Tecknology's method make sense
      I think I'll try that and freeze it cuz mixing it all up every time is a pain in the butt. But only feeding meds for 5 days I think. Treat water for aprox 21 days.

The Garlicgard is a liquid
      the metronidazole is a powder
      the Focus is like an absorbant foamy powder that kinda disolves but makes some chuncks LOL?
      see seachem site too.

So id guess mix metro in garlic then mix into the Focus then mix into a dry food that will absorb it all.
      maybe use some RO water then freeze it all in shallow cup(s), then cut cup away and break/cut frozen chuncks as needed?. read something like this somewhere.

PS techno:
      The instructions say you can freeze and thawit after mixing without loosing effectiveness

The Metonidazole package says you can mix with Focus and frozen food paste then refreeze.
      The Focus package says to use it for at least 5 days?

Sounds easiest to make a big batch then refreeze it.
      I'll have to find some frozen food paste?

oh yeh gotta calculate water volume for treatment with that aquarium volume calulator include sump and subtract like 1 gal per 10lbs of LR and something for LS.

yeh maybe we should put all the icky sticky stuff info together and sticky it. maybe add the other good threads, But this thread is just for one type of in tank treatment too. I couldnt go for the QT all fish for 6 weeks method. Maybe technoviking or someone can check and edit all the stuff since for example Im still a noob trying to figure it all out. LOL

Best overall article I could find on most of the usual treatment methods:
      http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php
      http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ichart2mar.htm
      Last edited by Delphin22; 06-24-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Techknowledgy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I amke it every time fresh. Not sure what all of those chemicals do when refrozen, but they must change when going from a powder to a liquid. .... but I am way anal about this and pretty compulsive too. Thats just me though!

tom619 is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

ich

thanks Delphin and others for all the research

$25+ for the mix sounds pricey right now. I bought LIFEGUARD medication from Instant Ocean last week before i went on SDR and now the ick is not visible in the blue tang anymore. good sign eh? i'll keep the blue tang in the QT tank for another week or so to rid of the ich cycle completely.

If this doesnt work, i'll take my chances with the formula.

oh by the way, i literally bought 2 clowns from petco with ICH yesterday! stupid me. sound familiar? haha

Copper and garlic sounds like the most popular remedy

SDR should have 1 main thread about Ich on its homepage since it's so notorious and also so people dont go making new threads all the time. good idea?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information