• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any of you have renters insurance that will cover aquarium water damage?

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Any of you have renters insurance that will cover aquarium water damage?

I called my insurance company and they said aquarium water damage isn't specifically mentioned in my liability policy, so coverage would be at the discretion of the adjuster if there was a claim. I do not want any mystery around if I have coverage or not.

Do any of you have renters insurance that definitely covers water damage from aquarium failure? If so, what company is it with?

Thanks

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Call you're insurance company ask them specifically DOES AND WILL MY IS INSURANCE COVER WATER DAMAGE FROM A FISH TANK BREAKING for example earthquake happens tank falls or cracks. I'd hate to have to be relying on the hope that it MAY cover water damage and find out you're screwed in the end

I am:
      Set you mood here...

They said no, then they said it is not excluded but water damage is excluded, and then they said I have no way of knowing until I file a claim which is utterly ridiculous.

I asked them exactly "I have no way of knowing if water damage will be covered if my fish tank explodes?" and they said no.

So what company definitely will cover this? Anyone have it?

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      Call you're insurance company ask them specifically DOES AND WILL MY IS INSURANCE COVER WATER DAMAGE FROM A FISH TANK BREAKING for example earthquake happens tank falls or cracks. I'd hate to have to be relying on the hope that it MAY cover water damage and find out you're screwed in the end

I am:
      Tired

I have aaa and actually don't think it is covered

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have aaa and actually don't think it is covered
      Uh oh! If I find a company that covers it I'll post here.

pirate2876 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

My wife was worried about the same thing and asked our homeowners insurance the same thing. The damage caused to the home would be covered(flooring,walls,etc) but, no livestock or equipment would be covered. That could be different depending on the policy you have though. I would get them to say they would cover the damage in writing somewhere if you could.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

I have State Farm and I know from real world experience that they do cover any damage caused by the tank, but they do not cover the tank itself if it breaks. Flooded the living room due to a sump overflow and they wrote a check for $3500 without batting an eye. I believe the old "you get what you pay for" addage applies. And no, I do not have any additional coverages specifically for the tank. My agent said that it is not unreasonable to expect that people might have a fish tank and anything full of water might break. Keep in mind that this tank was a 300g tank so we aren't talking about an "average" tank like a 5g goldfish bowl.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks man, that's just what I was looking for. I will give em a call tomorrow. Yep you do get what you pay for. Not worrying about a multi-thousand dollar tank spill all the time is worth the extra money to me!

I am:
      Tired

But I wonder if I for example the house were to have burnt or shattered from.earthquake if you had fo example $100k coverage for inside personal items. Would they compensate you for tank it is technically property of a high value.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

In that case I think it would be covered along with your other belongings. I don't think they would have an aquarium exclusion from a fire or quake policy.

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
      In that case I think it would be covered along with your other belongings. I don't think they would have an aquarium exclusion from a fire or quake policy.
      Yes but say oh well for me to recover the loss I had 10k worth of stuff luckily we as reefers love to take photos of our tanks all the time lol
      Just wondering if it were to happen if they would get a reefer to verify prices or how it would work if there's an exclusion.for.lovestock only equipment or so on too many things to think of now.im stressing haha

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

But I wonder if I for example the house were to have burnt or shattered from.earthquake if you had fo example $100k coverage for inside personal items. Would they compensate you for tank it is technically property of a high value.
      Homeowners or renters insurance will not cover anything damaged from an earthquake. That is only covered by a earthquake policy which in the state of California can only come from the California Earthquake Authority. Those policies are facilitated by your homeowners/renters insurance company, but they don't handle any of the claims. I would guess, and it would only be a guess, that they would cover the tank, but I can guarantee you that they will not cover the livestock. They aren't going to pay you for a dog that died in a earthquake either.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

I am:
      Tired

Yea that's te bummer so better grab a tote and. Start filling it lol. Or do a fire sale for frags

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      Homeowners or renters insurance will not cover anything damaged from an earthquake. That is only covered by a earthquake policy which in the state of California can only come from the California Earthquake Authority. Those policies are facilitated by your homeowners/renters insurance company, but they don't handle any of the claims. I would guess, and it would only be a guess, that they would cover the tank, but I can guarantee you that they will not cover the livestock. They aren't going to pay you for a dog that died in a earthquake either.
      Hah! That last sentence just made me laugh out loud at work.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      I have State Farm and I know from real world experience that they do cover any damage caused by the tank, but they do not cover the tank itself if it breaks. Flooded the living room due to a sump overflow and they wrote a check for $3500 without batting an eye. I believe the old "you get what you pay for" addage applies. And no, I do not have any additional coverages specifically for the tank. My agent said that it is not unreasonable to expect that people might have a fish tank and anything full of water might break. Keep in mind that this tank was a 300g tank so we aren't talking about an "average" tank like a 5g goldfish bowl.
      I forgot to ask - was this renters or homeowners?

Thank you

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information