• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: To Feed corals or not to feed corals?

seesquared is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

To Feed corals or not to feed corals?

Hey Guys -

I have an 80 gallon display currently stocked with mostly euphilla (hammers, frogspwans etc) and some softies. A few monti caps here and there but not to many hard stony right now but will be adding a few more in the near future. I have been working on getting rid of a hair algae issue for a while now and finally feel like its under control.

My question is what if anything do you guys "feed" your corals? Currently I only do water changes ever 2 weeks. (~20% Scripps water) and dose two part alk/calc. I have heard the product Coral Frenzy is popular but read a few negative reviews about it causing high phosphates and creating red slime issues. Other people claimed it help their coral grow much faster and have better colors. Does anyone have experience with this product or can recommend another product that they have had good success with?! Or should i just K.I.S.S and stick to my water changes and two part?

Any thoughts would be welcome and much appreciated!

Cheers!

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Honestly I though the same thing. Coral growth was extremely slow without feeding them. I have now been feeding seachem fuel. For about a month now and everything is extremely happy and opened up a bigger than before. I have also noticed a lot of my polyps/zoas have been growing like crazy. I do believe Scripps water is low in magnesium.
      Last edited by seanmcknew; 02-01-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Thanks! I'll have to check that stuff out. Are you spot feeding or just adding some to the whole tank?
      Quote Originally Posted by seanmcknew View Post
      Honestly I though the same thing. Coral growth was extremely slow without feeding them. I have now been feeding seachem fuel. For about a month now and everything is extremely happy and opened up a bigger than before. I have also noticed a lot of my polyps/zoas have been growing like crazy.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

As for the hair algae try rinsing the frozen foods. Example would be frozen mysis I put in a container with tank water let thaw remove the liquid then add tank water to mysis again to suck up in the pipette to spot feed all my corals reduces issues with water pars and algae growth.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You add it the whole tank. I was told to turn off the skimmer for an hour or so after dosing with fuel to keep it in the water column as long as possible. It says it is a carbohydrate,vitamin, fatty acid and amino acid supplement for corals. Its pretty cheap 1L 33.8 oz 2-3 times a week. Its 10ml per 40 gallons. I don't have time to spot feed. So that's why I decided on this stuff. Its similar to the product ASD uses in there system (reef energy)

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by seanmcknew View Post
      You add it the whole tank. I was told to turn off the skimmer for an hour or so after dosing with fuel to keep it in the water column as long as possible. It says it is a carbohydrate,vitamin, fatty acid and amino acid supplement for corals. Its pretty cheap 1L 33.8 oz 2-3 times a week. Its 10ml per 40 gallons. I don't have time to spot feed. So that's why I decided on this stuff. Its similar to the product ASD uses in there system (reef energy)
      Awesome! Thanks for the information. I think i'm going to try this stuff out!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sorry I guess I should have said the price. Its $34 for the 1L free shipping on amazon.

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

Sounds expensive maybe Look into the zeovit products just because ime they will last longer

I feed my fish pappone they recycle it to the corals

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information