• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any advice on New Tank Set-up? **Budget Tank So far less than $200**

dazzler619 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Getting Ready for this.......

I am:
      Friendly

Cool Any advice on New Tank Set-up? **Budget Tank So far less than $200**

I am Starting a New Tank and Still consider my self to be very amateur in the hobby....

I currently run a 50 Gallon or So Reef tank that Seems to be Thriving - Currently I am only Using a Protein Skimmer, T-5 Lights w/ LED Moon Lights, Live Rock..... But it is Time to Go Bigger (here is my Current Tank http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...Gallon-Soon%29).....

__________________________________________________ ___________________

So Far I have:
      • Tank (36in. wide X 16in. Deep X 32in. tall) - Believe it to be 75 or so Gallons
      • 30 Gallon Sump Tank w/ Pump (Thanks JKennedy http://www.sdreefs.com/images/smilies/theman.gif)
      • Protien Skimmer w/ Pump (Rated for 200 Gallon Tank - Sedra 3500 Pump, I think the Skimmer is a G2))
      • Aquatic Life 36in Led Lights (Blue & White)
      • 36in Led Lights that Simulate Day / Night Sun Rise, Sun Set
      • 3 Power Heads
      • Couple Small Heaters

Stuff from my Current 50 Gallon that I intend to Use on the New Tank
      • 70+ lbs of Live Rock
      • 60lbs of Live Sand & Agronite (Additional Bucket of Dry Sand & Agromnite)
      • the Live Stock

__________________________________________________ ____

My thoughts are / Vision is......

Overflow
      I will Drill (OR Have Someone Drill) 3 - 2in or 3in Holes in the Back of the Tank near the Top & Use 3 PVC Elbows as Overflows (Capped & Slotted or Drilled)

Return
      Drill a 1in. Return Hole Near the Middle Back of the Tank and then Pipe it Down to the Sand as a Single Pipe then Y it to Each Front Corner and Come out of the Sand about 3in (All of this would pretty much be Buried in the Sand except the 1in Pipe in the Back and the 2 - 1in. Outlets in the Front Corners) - Also plan on putting in Valves to be able to Control the Flow of Water if I need to be able to.

Sand bed: 3-4in. of Live Sand & Agronite

Water: Plan on Start using Scripps Water

Live Rock: Live Rick rock from my existing Tank, Approx. 70lbs (Might add some more once I am up and running and can find it super cheap depending on how the tank comes out)

Sump: Not Really Sure what to do with it yet or What I should be putting in it or ????????

So what are your Thoughts, Ideas & Recommendations?

Obviously I am trying to set this up with as little as Possible out of Pocket - Tight Budget, I have Managed Buying Everything and have not even hit $200

I am also Taking an old TV Armour that my Wife does not want to Get Rid of and Reinforcing it to Put the Tank in and conceal everything, Plus we will be able to Close the Doors to the Cabinet and Conceal the Tank.....

Once I actually have Everything I will start a Thread following the Progress of everything in the "Members Tanks Section"

jkennedy1007 is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Reefer

I am:
      Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler619 View Post
      Obviously I am trying to set this up with as little as Possible out of Pocket - Tight Budget, I have Managed Buying Everything and have not even hit $200
      your funny

you have around the same size tank as my recent upgrade by those dims above
      check it out for ideas on plumbing ect..

your planned return set up config confuse me

did i ever link you to mike who drills tanks?
      Last edited by jkennedy1007; 01-29-2015 at 01:02 PM.

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Do you plan on doing all this with livestock in the tank?

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

Assuming you're going with a herbie-style drain setup? 2-3 inch holes are pretty dang big. I think dual 1.5-2in holes would be good, depending on flow.

With the armoire, take mold and water damage into consideration. Tanks put out a *lot* of moisture, and even with the doors open you will almost definitely have a mold problem without very good airflow throughout the stand.

Drilling can be done with livestock in the tank, glow slow and careful. Mike/ratkiller might drill for you.

I am:
      Friendly

Yes You did link me to Mike I just Haven't gotten around to it Yet - And thanks for that too BTW, I need to get the Stand Reenforced but Planning on making arrangements soon for the Drilling

I am wanting the Return to Come out the Bottom somewhere or at least that is my Idea.. So it pushes Water up rather than Down ..... but that's why I am Seeking Input

Quote Originally Posted by jkennedy1007 View Post
      your funny

you have around the same size tank as my recent upgrade by those dims above
      check it out for ideas on plumbing ect..

your planned return set up config confuse me

did i ever link you to mike who drills tanks?

I am:
      Friendly

No, I plan on Setting the New Tank up and then Transferring from the old tank to the New tank, I have a Small 5 gallon tank I am going to transfer the livestock to with a Nano Skimmer, Heater and nano Power head for the Few final Hours of the Transfer Once I am down to the parts that will affect the live stock like rock, sand and Water transfer - - Or at least that is the Thought

Quote Originally Posted by jason142 View Post
      Do you plan on doing all this with livestock in the tank?

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

So since you are emptying the tank the route I would go is have someone build you and overflow box and install that. With the overflow you will be able to drill the bottom of the tank as long as it's not tempered for both your return and drain line. On my 90 I had a 1 1/2" drain with a durso standpipe and a 1" return.

I am:
      Hungry

Yes You did link me to Mike I just Haven't gotten around to it Yet - And thanks for that too BTW, I need to get the Stand Reenforced but Planning on making arrangements soon for the Drilling

I am wanting the Return to Come out the Bottom somewhere or at least that is my Idea.. So it pushes Water up rather than Down ..... but that's why I am Seeking Input
      that would just blow sand everywhere
      the way im picturing it my head , even with the lowest amount of flow on it, your basically setting return up like a jelly aquarium..
      no go imo my friend

dual spray bar top mounted and power heads oppsite sides for flow

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

I wouldn't drill any holes low in the tank, unless they were behind an overflow. That way any plumbing failure or leaks is limited to a few gallons, rather than your entire tank. Set your return up to create a gyre, or use locline to get it where you want (but try to minimize the leverage being placed on your glass).

I am:
      Friendly

Currently The New Tank is Empty so I am going to Drill it that Way, I was planning on Taking to Mike as he is Highly recommended - If I read Right the Largest he can do is 2in (or at least that is the Largest bit he has from his list I think), I'd Rather Go Smaller and have 3 to get different area's of the Tank

It's OK with the Mold on the Cabinet, I hate it and Wife Loves it, So it is the Happy Medium to me getting the Larger tanks and her Getting to Keep the Stand (Till It is to Ugly from Mold!...> Actually we will be taking some steps to help prevent it by Lining the cabinet with Black Vinyl.

Not 100% Sure on the Term "Herbie Style" but this (1st Pipe in Pic is something Similar to what I had in Mind for the Overflow) - Everything would be the back towards the Tank Top of the Tank

I am:
      Friendly

Well I was thinking of a Pipe down the Center Back T'ing or Y'ing under the Sand with a Pipe to Each Front Corner then Pipe Upward about 6 inches (or about 3 Inches above the Sand) facing upwards, I was thinking this Would not cause any sand issues but rather help with the Circulation???

But Everything would be piped in from the under the cabinet to the Top of the Tank where the Holes will be

But I am not 100% Sure and that is why I am throwing the Idea's Out now before I make my final plan
      Last edited by dazzler619; 01-29-2015 at 02:22 PM.

I am:
      Friendly

All the Holes that get put into the Glass will be at the Top as High as I can get and still be effective. But the Return I was thinking of Piping down under the Sand and Sticking out a Few inches above the sand facing upwards

I am:
      Friendly

The Tank getting Drained in the Old 50 Gallon (Current Tank), the newer 75 gallon is already empty Waiting for holes and plumbing then Water - I am not Sure I can make an overflow box that looks any good and the Kits are more than I'd Like to Spend..... my goal is to keep everything at $200 or so, So Far I am at just over $100.

Quote Originally Posted by jason142 View Post
      So since you are emptying the tank the route I would go is have someone build you and overflow box and install that. With the overflow you will be able to drill the bottom of the tank as long as it's not tempered for both your return and drain line. On my 90 I had a 1 1/2" drain with a durso standpipe and a 1" return.

Sancho is offline Premium Member
      My status is: yo mama

I am:
      Piratey

All the Holes that get put into the Glass will be at the Top as High as I can get and still be effective. But the Return I was thinking of Piping down under the Sand and Sticking out a Few inches above the sand facing upwards
      That is a flood waiting to happen. You want your returns up high so if in the event of a power failure it doesnt drain your tank. I think what you are describing is a closed loop system. Closed loops systems are cool but with the power heads on the market today they are sort of unnecessary. The drain you are looking at is a bean animal. Do your reading on it and understand how it works before drilling your tank. Very safe and quiet overflow if done right. Check out Daves build he could steer you in the right direction with you drain http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...o-120g-Upgrade

I am:
      Hungry

just throwing our advice out there
      take it or leave it buddy
      you really don't want any type of mold in your home
      super deadly for your family and pets

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information