• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Algae issues and question

navysquid is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Algae issues and question

Ok so I have Lots of hair algae probably green hair and bryopsis and film. I have been battling for a couple months and it overwhelming. I have moved most of my coral to a different tank. My question is if I cover the tank for a extended period of time will my fish be ok ad long as I do water changes and will green star poylp, mushrooms rock anemone survive. Any other tips or ideas

jkennedy1007 is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Reefer

I am:
      Hungry

why don't you solve your problem than prolonging and making it worst

1.)phos reactor
      2.)UV sterilizer
      3.)HOG up flow algae scrubber
      4.) refugium with opposite hours of lighting
      5.)Turbo snails and invertebrate clean up crew

million other ways to combat this issue, choose 1

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Water changes you can use microbacter7 to reduce organic matter light either lower output and shorten time but this is ALL TEMPORARY I had issues limit over feeding if feeding frozen drain out excess liquids example mysis thaw it out drain the fluids then add to tank.
      I evn used tweezers to pull the hair algae after a sw/hydrogen peroxide bath. Siphon the sand bed make sure no dead spots from flow. Just being on top of issues from the get go is a must!
      Gl

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I solved my hair algae with a tang and a sea hare. Be careful sea hares though if they die in your tank they will crash your tank.

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

You can also raise your magnesium level, what is it currently?

Squid is offline Registered User
      My status is: Make like a cake

I am:
      Hungry

Show some pics so we can get a better understanding of what your dealing with. If it's isolated to a few rocks or coral that are easily accessible I would do a hydrogen peroxide dip a few water changes throughout the week and add something that eats algae like hermits. I've recently tried this and am having really good success. I've also had really great success in the past with a foxface

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Turbo snails in my tank are demolishing the hair algae that is left

jschnepf is offline Registered User
      My status is: Happy as a clam

I am:
      Amused

First thing I would do is take a water sample to your LFS, have them test for phosphates. Or if you have something to test it yourself (one of the best things I've bought is the Hanna phosphate checker). My guess is your phosphates are high and start by getting those under control. My preferred method is GFO in a reactor for a quick solution, GFO will drop them quick, but it is something that will need to be changed out fairly regularly.

Natural things like a good clean up crew and a Fuge or algae turf scrubber will help keep the algae at bay long term.

The live rock I started with leached phosphates into my tank for a long time before I got it under control. The first year was a battle, but once I started running the GFO and checking my phosphate levels the tank fell into line and everything started doing a lot better.

Sancho is offline Premium Member
      My status is: yo mama

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by jschnepf View Post
      First thing I would do is take a water sample to your LFS, have them test for phosphates. Or if you have something to test it yourself (one of the best things I've bought is the Hanna phosphate checker). My guess is your phosphates are high and start by getting those under control. My preferred method is GFO in a reactor for a quick solution, GFO will drop them quick, but it is something that will need to be changed out fairly regularly.

Natural things like a good clean up crew and a Fuge or algae turf scrubber will help keep the algae at bay long term.

The live rock I started with leached phosphates into my tank for a long time before I got it under control. The first year was a battle, but once I started running the GFO and checking my phosphate levels the tank fell into line and everything started doing a lot better.
      Very good advice. Just adding creatures to eat the problem will just make things worse down the road. This is a very good article http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/9/chemistry I know its old but it is well written. Algae turf scrubber, or pellet reactor are the way to go. I know there are a bunch of guys that swear by macro algae in a fuge. But for a fuge to be efective it has to be fairly large. I am a fan of the reactors. like JK said million other ways to combat this issue, choose 1

jada1 is offline SDMAS STAFF
      My status is: chill

I am:
      Crazy

Find out what is causing the issue would be your best solution
      My build in progress
      125gallon Leemar rimless 48x30x20 starphire, 48 Ati Hybrid, Ghl /Apex dos, powered by an Apex, ecotech, tunze for flow,
      Custom sump made by me.
      http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...ew-Beginning.-.

ReefMaster is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Something not mentioned is carbon dosing, ie vodka/vinegar but you need a powerful skimmer. If the chore is too difficult it can be on a dosing pump. Lots of info around about it.

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Another could be the life of your bulbs, I have noticed that the older my bulbs get the more I start to see algea pop up.

Sancho is offline Premium Member
      My status is: yo mama

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by jason142 View Post
      Another could be the life of your bulbs, I have noticed that the older my bulbs get the more I start to see algea pop up.
      that is the very reason i switched from T5 to LED

navysquid is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

ok so every time I check for phosphates they are 0 Assuming the algae is consuming it. I have a hydra 52 so its not my bulbs. I have a reactor I have ran bio pellets before without success but my pump died now so I got some GFO and I'm getting a new pump this week. My main questions is will my fish die if I turn the lights out and cover the tank for a couple weeks. now I'm assuming not but I'm just checking. also will any coral survive no light

cafernico is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by navysquid View Post
      ok so every time I check for phosphates they are 0 Assuming the algae is consuming it. I have a hydra 52 so its not my bulbs. I have a reactor I have ran bio pellets before without success but my pump died now so I got some GFO and I'm getting a new pump this week. My main questions is will my fish die if I turn the lights out and cover the tank for a couple weeks. now I'm assuming not but I'm just checking. also will any coral survive no light
      I wouldn't go that route. Your fish more likely won't die but they will probably stressed out a lot. Your corals more likely will die after such a long time without their major source of food (light). Turning the lights out will be a temporary band aid that won't solve the problem in the long run. The best advise I was given (by Chris of Lotsafishes) was to do major water changes to deplete the system of the nutrients that are currently feeding your algae. I did approximately 25% water changes weekly and my hair algae and bryopsis were gone in 3 weeks. After the algae is gone, keep up with regular water changes and use any of the recommended advises given here to keep your nutrients to the minimum.
      Good luck!
      Last edited by cafernico; 01-26-2015 at 09:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information