• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP Fish Dying and ONLY Symptom is Heavy Breathing

Aquamann28 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

HELP Fish Dying and ONLY Symptom is Heavy Breathing

I'm really struggling with something going on with my tank that I haven't seen in the 25 years of having tanks. So first of all my skimmer was broke and I was dealing with the warranty to get it fixed for like 3 weeks without one. Everyone has been fine and last Sunday I noticed my Tiger Jawfish acting weird and out in the open. Monday I get home from work and my jawfish is dead, 3 coral catfish dead, and my Imperator Angel is laying on her side gasping and my Flagfin and Tangs are all breathing super hard.

I didn't know what to do so I added a lot of Prime thinking maybe it was ammonia for some reason and within a few hours they were acting better even my imperator made it. Tuesday I get home and my Imperator and Flagfin are dead and same thing everyone looks okay except they are breathing really hard. This tank has been going since January, haven't added anything new in a couple months. The other fish are all breathing hard I use Prime again and they seem better. Wednesday I finally get the parts to fix my skimmer get it running again, basically during the rest of the week I lost a yellow tang, swallowtail, coral beauty, 10 fish in total.

All my coral seems to be okay, anemones, shrimp, snails, starfish all invertebrates seem okay! I test and Ammonia/Nitrite are 0 my Nitrate was like between 5-10ppm (not best for coral but fine for fish) and my PH is at 8.2. I get the skimmer going Wednesday night thinking that will help things but it doesn't. Friday night I do about a 40% water change and they immediately seem like they are breathing better. Saturday they seem okay then Sunday I get up and they are breathing really hard again and my Scopas Tang is laying on its side. I change out my reactor and put all new high grade carbon in it thinking there is some foreign substance. I run into Vet Pets cause its close to my house they retest everything and get same results. I get two poly pads and add to my sump and I also add more Prime. By Sunday night my Scopas looks better.

Monday everyone seems okay, all eating, tonight I get home and my scopas is dying on side again and it seems like my other fish are still breathing harder than they should. My tank is two 180G cylinder tanks that are one system with about a 120G sump. I'm so dumbfounded on what's going on and I don't even know what to do and I can't understand what the Prime is doing unless it's just the slime coat that's helping? Do you have any ideas??? I haven't done anything around the tank no chemicals used in house nothing I can think of...soo frustrating!

Sorry for this long post on this section...Brian

Octoman4 is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

Did you check for stray voltage? How about looking for somthing dropped In by a child? Do you dose? Did a a pump over dose somthing? I'd do more WC and add some carbon to be safe
      120 gallon. I throw money at it, and it grows colorful sticks.

zerojustin88 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Lack of oxygen in the water? Skimming provides that also. Have you been running an air stone?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

I was just reading online about a lot of examples of stray voltage and I haven't checked for that. I already put all new carbon and poly filters in it. I don't dose and no kids around.

Sgriff is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

HELP Fish Dying and ONLY Symptom is Heavy Breathing

I would suggest buy your own test kits and test at least once a day for the next 3-4 days to get an idea of your waters chemistry,in the meanwhile if you think its stray power,check it. I had a pump short in a cube that would shock me if i grounded my self while in contact with the water,one time my girl kissed while i was aquascaping and we both got a jolt. All inhabitants were ok,just my experience.(yes,i replaced the pump ) i really hope you figure it out.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

If you have a cut and it fits in you'll definitely feel the stray voltage lol

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

Damn I really don't know what else to think. I'm going to buy a probe anyway now and maybe I'll borrow a meter so I can see if anything shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woogiekids is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Do you have a mag float, veggie clip or any other fittings/etc in the tank that could have rusted?

DiverDave is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Are you using macro algae in the system? I'e heard of this stuff spontaneously 'melting' and causing O2 issues. Maybe a fuge light has gone out and the fuge is using up O2?

Best wishes…
      D

CaliCoco619 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

It sounds like with such a large tank.....and no signs of disease.....it might be oxygen since you no longer are running the skimmer......?

Also check the salinity everyday along with water temperature.

Good luck.........

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

I do have two algae cleaners but there are only a few months old and don't see any rust. My skimmer has been back up since Wednesday and I have a ton of current so don't think that's an issue and they wouldn't be getting better and then worse and back and forth. So confused still wondering about the stray voltage idea.

EuroDriver is offline Registered User
      My status is: alive

I am:
      Cool

Since no one has addressed this - have you logged your water temperature throughout the days/nights? It's been very hot these days and if you're not running a chiller, therein may lie your mystery.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

My house temps stay the same with a/c

Sgriff is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You can use a multimeter/fluke to check the current/voltage of the water i believe.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

Yes I was reading that think I need to try and at least rule that out.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information