• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: General Etiquette for Newbies

FreshSaltH2o is offline SDMAS Staff Member / MOD
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by XO PRESENTS View Post
      I have noticed that we have quite a few new members, just wanted to bump this up.
      Lots of new people Just a reminder
      Last edited by FreshSaltH2o; 06-16-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Yolo View Post
      General etiquette is to not comment on pricing. Its not cool to publicly comment on someone's asking price.

General etiquette is to not to post off subject comments in peoples threads. If you have something to comment to a particular person, email, call or PM them.

General etiquette is to not to call dibs and not show up or call. Dibs don't mean much if you have like 5 posts and never give your real name.

General etiquette is to not to change screen names 5 or 6 times along the way. Um, I only know you as X2345_P..Huh?

General etiquette is to not get discouraged and keep asking questions in the appropriate Forums.

General etiquette is to USE the Private Message (PM) function for off subject questions...

General etiquette is to post "First come First Served" when it applies so you don't have 5 people making plans to buy your one item. Good to leverage your sale, but not cool. If you don't care who you sell it to and its about the cash, say so.

General etiquette is to NOT ask for a PIC when you have no intention of buying just because you are merely curious...

General etiquette is to not go on a 2 hour tour of someone's house and tank only to lowball the seller at the last minute saying you only brought $12...

General etiquette is to not expect a Seller to call you...if they have a good deal, you chase THEM down...posting your number means nothing to the guy selling something to get it out of there...

General etiquette is to not openly whine when you have been on the board for less than 90 days and especially, don't diss the board owner or mods (hand that feeds you, appreciation, etc)...

General etiquette is to not ask for a PIC of a common fish when you can google one out in 10 seconds.

General etiquette can also = common sense of "class"

Hint of the Year = Don't dibs something and then ask the seller to wait for a week or send you a PIC. If it is that good of a deal, send them an immediate PM (with your phone number) and negotiate a deal with the seller. Set a time to see the item as soon as possible. Sellers retain the right to sell their item at any time to anyone without recourse. Its their option and you need to respect that. Welcome to the www.

If someone says email me, then email them, PMs might not mean anything if they are busy. There are lots of different sites out there. If they post a phone number, then dial it up immediately if its a good deal Don't post a reply with your number and say "call me" or "pm sent". Don't wait around for a PIC. Goggle it, get out your books and research it.

If you have an opportunity to buy a fish from an Established Tank, by all means pay the couple of extra bucks and buy it. Fish from established tanks that are breaking down are always going to always have a higher chance of survival then the unknowns at the LFS. Fish go from who knows where to east coast, to west coast LA, to SD...

Use the PM feature as much as you can and please keep off topic or personal comments to yourselfs.

Nice bump Mike! Too bad we can't bump back to the first page?
      Last edited by Kris; 06-16-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Technology

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

Just a lil rant.
      Over the past 2/3 weeks I have had multiple people message me interested in an item I have fs. I try to respond as soon as possible and provide all info requested as well as pics and my location and or willingness to meet.
      It seems like most are jumping the gun and messaging wanting an item, but really have no intentions of buying. I've heard all kinds of excuses, even been drawn into conflict when I call them out on there flakeyness and wasting my time. Some insist they are serious buyers, some ask me to hold items, some low ball, some request a trade when post ask; no trades, some set a meeting spot and never show. Urggghhhh!
      It has become annoying and a huge waste of my time.
      I'm not hear to cheat anyone, I'm open to the buyer checking everything out before purchase, I'm willing to work with buyer to an extent.
      I'm just curious how many others go through this same thing from week to week.
      End rant:/

Redryder87 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Drama D View Post
      Just a lil rant.
      Over the past 2/3 weeks I have had multiple people message me interested in an item I have fs. I try to respond as soon as possible and provide all info requested as well as pics and my location and or willingness to meet.
      It seems like most are jumping the gun and messaging wanting an item, but really have no intentions of buying. I've heard all kinds of excuses, even been drawn into conflict when I call them out on there flakeyness and wasting my time. Some insist they are serious buyers, some ask me to hold items, some low ball, some request a trade when post ask; no trades, some set a meeting spot and never show. Urggghhhh!
      It has become annoying and a huge waste of my time.
      I'm not hear to cheat anyone, I'm open to the buyer checking everything out before purchase, I'm willing to work with buyer to an extent.
      I'm just curious how many others go through this same thing from week to week.
      End rant:/
      It’s annoying. Nice coral isn’t cheap. Whenever I buy, I give the asking price, no questions asked. People want everything for next to nothing lol. I also hate when people ask questions that the answers are in the original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trickman2 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Been a long time since I have been on the forum. Yes it has changed and I am okay with people privately contacting me about prices. Also if you are firm on your price I recommend you state that.

Some things to help with pricing-
      OBO- or best offer - means make a offer that is reasonable
      FIRM- means that is my price

Do not low-ball people - if you are going to ask for a lower price wait tell people have been bumping it for a while and be reasonable. Do it privately and don’t ask if they will give it away for 50 percent less. Lastly if you are the selling something don’t take it personal but make it clear in your post that you are firm on the price.

Been on the forum a long long time and how things have changed. Have fun and enjoy the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well put. I’d like to add, if you sell here regularly, consider supporting sdreefs by becoming a premium member. It’s nice that it’s not required but if your using this community to make a buck then why not contribute to making it better? The suggested yearly donation is a drop in the bucket for people in our hobby.

XO PRESENTS is offline SDMAS Staff Member / MOD
      My status is: Never doubt that a small group
      of thoughtful, committed
      citizens can change the world;
      indeed, it's the only thing
      that ever has.

I am:
      Tired

I like that dizzyjay.

NEW REEFERS... IF YOU HAVE THE TIME TO BROWSE THE SITE.. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS THREAD...thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyjay View Post
      Well put. I’d like to add, if you sell here regularly, consider supporting sdreefs by becoming a premium member. It’s nice that it’s not required but if your using this community to make a buck then why not contribute to making it better? The suggested yearly donation is a drop in the bucket for people in our hobby.
      Attentively,

Ron Luong

SDR Marketing Director / SDMAS Board of Directors

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Investing in our SDR Community www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?89507-SanDiegoReefs.com-Giving-back-to-our-community

My Crazy Obsession
      www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?96495-Xo-signature-experience-s-obsession-continues

Show Some Love
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?75529-XO-PRESENTS-feedback

Who Got Tats? wwwhttp://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...-Off-Your-Tats.

XO PRESENTS is offline SDMAS Staff Member / MOD
      My status is: Never doubt that a small group
      of thoughtful, committed
      citizens can change the world;
      indeed, it's the only thing
      that ever has.

I am:
      Tired

Friendly reminder that we are all part of a small niche reefing community here on SDR
      Attentively,

Ron Luong

SDR Marketing Director / SDMAS Board of Directors

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Investing in our SDR Community www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?89507-SanDiegoReefs.com-Giving-back-to-our-community

My Crazy Obsession
      www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?96495-Xo-signature-experience-s-obsession-continues

Show Some Love
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?75529-XO-PRESENTS-feedback

Who Got Tats? wwwhttp://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...-Off-Your-Tats.

FreshSaltH2o is offline SDMAS Staff Member / MOD
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Annoyed

Bump this for the new members

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information