• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help! Newbie question(s)

BigH2OChief is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Once again... Thank you all!

Tank was scrapped and cleaned over and over again for three hours. I am having alot of trouble getting the Coralline off the overflow as it is a plastic. there is definatley no more "green stuff" onboard and the good algae is already turning white.

The Sump and all equipment was cleaned with a vinegar solution and rinsed over and over and over... and over again and looks brand new. The LR & LS is in it's barrel full of tank water with a Koralia 750 flowing and heater. Temp is 78 degrees and my Cat is freaking looking at the water from her perch.

Tomorrow we plan to scrub down the the LR and rinse the LS. I could use some tips of "rinsing sand though"...

Have a great Saturday Night!

Woody

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

I would not scrub the rock. If the tank it was in was just taken down and the rock was kept in the tank water like you said, I do not believe that much of anything on the rock would die off. Why get rid of life that you want in the tank anyway? Unless it is covered with aiptasia or mojanos I would leave it as is. Just my two cents.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

march is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Why are so many people in such a hurry to scrub or boil or dry out live rock? If it's been kept relatively stable, which it sounds like it has, use it and keep all that life it already has on it...

As far as rinsing sand, what I've done is get a lot of extra water on hand - I use scripps so not a big deal. With the sand in a tub I just mix it around with my hand (gloved) so the water is very cloudy then dump a bunch of the water out. Fill it back up again and repeat until the water becomes relatively clear. Some people will disagree with using sand after disturbing it. You may want to consider what they say - I'm just sharing what I've done in the past and I think that if you're using the established live rock, you should be all right. Just take it slow after that - which it sounds like you're doing anyway. Good luck!

socalaly is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

I agree with Dave and mark. Unless aptasia or other pests why scrub clean etc it. If there's algae scrub that off but the rest let it be. Good luck and cat wait to see some pictures!
      Aly Gator is here

bbandu is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      My status is: .

I am:
      Set you mood here...

looks like you have got alot of responses to your question, and I would use the rock as is unless covered with pest (aptasia and mojanos), rinse the sand and go from there. If you have any further questions dont hesitate to ask.
      Its all about MTS
      Larry

150g, 60 gal sump, G3 Protein Skimmer, 2 Koralia Evo 1400's,2 Koralia Evo 750's, 20g ATO, 3 - 120w LarryM Led's configured 35 - 16000K, 28 - 14000K, 28 453nm blue and 28, 468nm blue.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75141

60g cube, 20g sump, Bubble Magus curve 5 skimmer with 2 mp10's and 120w led.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...00-60g-upgrade

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information