• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: February Fish of the Month Flame Angelfish (Centropyge Loriculus)

jt_milstead is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: Tired of being let down by the
      Chargers

I am:
      Crying

February Fish of the Month Flame Angelfish (Centropyge Loriculus)

The Flame Angelfish is a flashy addition to many aquariums. One of the most popular of the dwarf angelfish, the Flame Angelfish is a bold red/orange color with vertical black stripes highlighting the body and horizontal black stripes along the caudal portions of the blue-tipped dorsal and anal fins.

The Flame Angelfish requires at least a 70-gallon aquarium with lots of hiding places and live rock for grazing. The Flame Angelfish is prone to nip at stony and soft corals, and clam mantles. If the Flame Angelfish is to be added to a peaceful community, it should be the last fish introduced. The Flame Angelfish adapts well to aquarium life, but should be kept in an established system and housed with dissimilar genera. The Flame Angel is very sensitive to elevated levels of copper, and should never be exposed to levels near or above 0.15 ppm.

The Flame Angelfish is hermaphroditic, very difficult to breed in an aquarium, and has no distinguishable differences in color between male to female.

The diet of the Flame Angelfish should consist of Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis or frozen shrimp, and other high-quality meaty items.

There are slight differences in both coloration and markings of this species based on the location of collection. Flame Angelfish from the Central Pacific include both Marshall Islands and Christmas Island. Marshall Island Flame Angelfish are redder in color, with thicker black bars running vertically down the body. Christmas Island Flame Angelfish are normally red/orange coloration with thin black bars running vertically down the body. Flame Angelfish from Cebu are red/orange with undefined black bars and a tint of yellow in between the bars. Flame Angelfish from Tahiti are rarely collected and are blood red in coloration and possess very little to no yellow.

[IMG]
      J.T. Milstead
      "Play Today, Build Tomorrow, And Pray For The Rest"

scubasteve is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Chillin and helpful

I am:
      Cool

NICE JT!!!!!!! Been eyeing these guys for a looooong time- Soon I will have to test the reef compatibility of one!

Bodie is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

One of my favorite fish. I have had one in my reef for over a year and so far no issues. I also have a lemon peel angel and the two quarrel occasionally but they do okay together. The lemon peel will sometimes nip at sps and Clams but I've never seen the flame nip at corals.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The flame angelfish's looks very beautiful and different type of fish from other fish because of its
      special coloration with bright orange-red with a vertical elongated black spot in addition to this four
      or five bars on the sides.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information