• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: your thoughts?

naclh2o getaway is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Lightbulb your thoughts?

So heres my thoughts and I know everyone has their own, I'd like to hear them and why. If nothing else our conversation will be someone else's research later on when they look back at this post. I've been running my Reef (mostly SPS) for around 5 years. I've made changes along the way and while most have been good some have had bad results. I started out this hobby with small pumps and cheap used skimmers and made my way up to better pumps and stronger filtration (including adding a display refugium a while back) Back then we used Power compacts....even before t5s the old-school florescent bulbs that were either 4 pin inline or side by side. Then Mogul type MH with big bulky magnetic ballasts to HQI and electronic components...Time to go to the next best thing. LEDs! I know I know EVERYONE has something to say about LEDs whether its the DIY guys doing it full custom or Mr.Deep pockets paying for the hottest ticket that is scheduled to be upgraded in 6 months, Let me lay down my thoughts and you may share yours. While I love a good project and have informed myself of just about all I can handle, I have chosen NOT to DYI. Not because I dont think I can but by the time I buy everything (and what to buy with all the variable options out there in reflectors, LEDs, Drivers, watts, filters......whatever), come up with a plan, spend the time, may or may not screw something up along the line. Not to mention there is such a huge span of opinion out there, I am just not prepared to take on the project. While looking at different brands and reading different specs, options, opinions on said brands/models I am thinking about going with the new Radion Pro from EcoTech I know they are high priced but I also feel that they have some of the best capabilities of programing with full control of all the colors, times, mixtures etc. PAR reports seem to be solid which is good because my tank is 30x30 and 26in of actual water depth. Originally I was thinking I'd have to go with two units but after a little more research it looks like I can make one work. So outside of the plug and play capabilities and ease of programing I cant think of anything thats the Radion won't do for me.

Do you have one? How do you like it? Problems? Opinions? Anything out there comparable? Anything I need to consider? I threw around the idea of the Kessil but I don't like the idea of the manual adjustments and I would definitely have to go with two units at $400 each So I'm not saving much and they aren't AS controllable. Let me have your thoughts whatever they may be.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

your thoughts on the Radion Pro

So heres my thoughts and I know everyone has their own, I'd like to hear them and why. If nothing else our conversation will be someone else's research later on when they look back at this post. I've been running my Reef (mostly SPS) for around 5 years. I've made changes along the way and while most have been good some have had bad results. I started out this hobby with small pumps and cheap used skimmers and made my way up to better pumps and stronger filtration (including adding a display refugium a while back) Back then we used Power compacts....even before t5s the old-school florescent bulbs that were either 4 pin inline or side by side. Then Mogul type MH with big bulky magnetic ballasts to HQI and electronic components...Time to go to the next best thing. LEDs! I know I know EVERYONE has something to say about LEDs whether its the DIY guys doing it full custom or Mr.Deep pockets paying for the hottest ticket that is scheduled to be upgraded in 6 months, Let me lay down my thoughts and you may share yours. While I love a good project and have informed myself of just about all I can handle, I have chosen NOT to DYI. Not because I dont think I can but by the time I buy everything (and what to buy with all the variable options out there in reflectors, LEDs, Drivers, watts, filters......whatever), come up with a plan, spend the time, may or may not screw something up along the line. Not to mention there is such a huge span of opinion out there, I am just not prepared to take on the project. While looking at different brands and reading different specs, options, opinions on said brands/models I am thinking about going with the new Radion Pro from EcoTech I know they are high priced but I also feel that they have some of the best capabilities of programing with full control of all the colors, times, mixtures etc. PAR reports seem to be solid which is good because my tank is 30x30 and 26in of actual water depth. Originally I was thinking I'd have to go with two units but after a little more research it looks like I can make one work. So outside of the plug and play capabilities and ease of programing I cant think of anything thats the Radion won't do for me.

Do you have one? How do you like it? Problems? Opinions? Anything out there comparable? Anything I need to consider? I threw around the idea of the Kessil but I don't like the idea of the manual adjustments and I would definitely have to go with two units at $400 each So I'm not saving much and they aren't AS controllable. Let me have your thoughts whatever they may be.

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

I recently switched to LED's. It came down to the Radions and the AI Vega for me. I ended up switching to the Vega. The Pro was not available at the time I made the decision. They are both very good LED's and I don't think you can go wrong with the Radion. I don't know if the Pro is worth the extra money though. The original one works pretty well!

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

your thoughts?

I went with the vertex illumina and couldn't be happier. Look it up. Lots of you tube info and BRS had a nice video on these units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

looks like the pro includes the 405nm and 415 nm bulbs as well as 10 additional bulbs overall.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information