• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: How many tangs in a 220 system and compatibility

james-vader is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

How many tangs in a 220 system and compatibility

hey everyone i was wondering how many tangs can you keep in a 220 gal reef tank and are purple tang, power blue tang, achilles tang, blue tang, yellow tang compatible??? thanks

fresh2120 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well I know a lot of people will not agree with me but I kept 11 tangs in my 300 3 purples 3 yellow tangs a powder blue orange shoulder a dr tang dejani tang lrg blue tang Achilles tang and a lrg vlingini tang as well to name some... I can be don't I recommend starting with small fish and qt them bc one with ich will give it to all the rest extremely easy...

How much live rock in there and flow. As in how many times does the tank turn over in one hour. A lot of fish equals a lot of filtering

Radman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Need admin to contact me

I am:
      Crazy

I have a Purple, Yellow, Sailfin and Blue hippo in a 120.... I put all the Zebrasoma in separate compartments in my QT To get "the hang of each other" for 4 days before adding all at the same time to DT. Only squabbles are minor and during feeding time...

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

which order should the different tangs be put in the tank to avoid them from fighting

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by james-vader View Post
      which order should the different tangs be put in the tank to avoid them from fighting
      Order? ... none. I recommend "all at one time".

The time you have problems, is when a fish becomes comfortable in his new home.
      For example, you place a purple in your tank... and three weeks down the road see a Scopas you like. Bring home the Scopas, acclimate or QT... and drop him in the tank when he's ready. Either way, the purple and your scopas are possibly going to fight. There's no guarantee they'll do well, or won't... it's more likely they'll fight, however... you never know. The whole reason being, is the purple's home just got invaded. It's his house (or so he thinks).

I've sold ALL my tangs before, JUST to go and get another Sailfin. I basically removed all my tangs, went and bought new... and dropped the new ones ALL IN at ONE TIME. It worked out great... and everyone got along. NOW, months later... every now and again my Sailfin and Purple will give each other the business. But nothing to be alarmed about.

And put as many in there as you want... it's your tank.
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 12-18-2012 at 07:33 AM.

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

There really is no definitive answer, more so opinions based on personal experiences and similar outcomes.
      Generally speaking pretty much all those tangs listed are fairly sensitive except maybe the yellow, and pretty much they will be ticky to each other, possibly bad.
      Adding all at the same time does help, but I would prefer those more sensitive tangs be added to an establshed tank for best chances, especially that achilles and PBT.
      Many people go tang crazy at first, myself included, but later I decided there are so many other fish options I decided to have a couple nice tangs and let them have the run of the tank and less competition for greens/swim space, and add color from other great fish like anthias that add nice shoals and some diversity, and for me that seems to balance out better and more peaceful than a cluster of just tangs.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

:] thanks for the great insight very helpful

Berk80 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I agree that like tangs (e.g. like body shape) should be added at the same time. I have two yellows, a hipo and a naso in a 180g. I added the 2 yellows at the same time and they get along fine. I then added the hipo which as you all know has a different body then the yellows and there was no issue at all. I then added the Naso...again a different shape but was also larger...again there was no issue. I would love a PBT or sailfin (e.g. another tang with a body like the yellows) but now that the yellows are established I am not willing to risk the beating it would likely recieve.

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

None

Tang police

Esco reef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Re: How many tangs in a 220 system and compatibility

Im putting 7 tangs in my lil 60 gallon cube...put that in yo pipe and smoke it , like homie eazy E said ******* da Tang police !!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information