• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: My First Reef Tank

FishPounder is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My First Reef Tank

I have always wanted a reef tank, but never thought I would be able to start one. Well now I have some extra equipment that I will attempt to turn into a reef tank. Any advice is appreciated (as the only thing I know about saltwater tanks is what I read on the net). Also if you have something you can foresee me needing and would like to part from it at a reasonable price let me know. I had originally started by buying a JBJ 12g nano tank from craigslist. Unfourtinately it had a slow leak so i had scrap it. I dediced to use the items that did work on 20g I had laying around. I am not able to post pictures yet but will do so when I can.

The first thing i did was derimmin the tank and fill it with water and letting sit for a few days to see if it would explode. I like how it looks much better.

I took the lights and fans to work and had a friend rig me a lamp from aluminum. Should be getting it back in a few days. I will powder coat it before use.

I will be using an old fluval u3 that I had from a freshwater tank as a filter. I figured it could double as a power head to suplement the Rio 600, since its going in a bigger tank.

After I clean up everything I will get some sand and rock. If you have some let me know.

I dont plan on having fish and I will be taking my time in building. Thanks in advance if you plan to follow.
      Last edited by FishPounder; 12-10-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Vesh1117 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Geeky

Re: My First Reef Tank

You might need some better lights, i don't think that will be enough for a 20 gallon.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Re: My First Reef Tank

I would ditch the fluval and get a hang on the back protein skimmer. I also agree that the lights may not be ideal. If you have to stick with them, start out with lower light demanding corals such as, zoanthids and mushrooms. I would see how they do before adding corals that require more light.

San Diego Reefs Moderator
      SDMAS B.O.D. Member
      Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I will be upgrading my lights once I figure out exactly what I need. These items are just what I had laying around wanted to spend the least possible. I will be spending a little more once I set up a larger tank. Thanks for the input.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

This is probably a dumb question but here it goes. If I was to add more bulbs to my light would that solve the problem or do I need bulbs of higher wattage?

Funkateer_1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by specvjeff View Post
      I would ditch the fluval and get a hang on the back protein skimmer. I also agree that the lights may not be ideal. If you have to stick with them, start out with lower light demanding corals such as, zoanthids and mushrooms. I would see how they do before adding corals that require more light.
      + 1 on the Skimmer. It'll make keep a small tank so much easier. I wouldn't use the filter media either, those ceramic 'noodles' will just trap detritus and cause the nitrate levels to constantly creep up without constant cleaning. The lights should be alright for softies and easy low-light LPS (Euphyllia, Acans, etc.)

Tunze makes a really good nano filtration pack for small reef tanks...

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C...-infoxunter066

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So I got a great deal on a HOB skimmer along with a few other things.

I'm still working on getting the rest of the silicone of the tank. Progress is slow during the week.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Got some more time to work on my tank. I painted the back of the tank black.

reefer38 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Chillin

I am:
      Geeky

Great start and welcome to the addiction! those remora skimmers work really well from what ive heard . if your not planning on going with a sump that is. a new fixture and bulbs would def be a must as well. i would def reccommed a second power head for some more flow. you also might want to look into a two little fishies media reactor so you can run some carbon or GFO. i live in vista and im avail most days after 5. feel free to stop on by, check out my setup and pick my brain a little. youre gonna need a 50W heater as well, i think i might have one lying around.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks. Early January sound good? Also what exactly does a media reactor do?

reefer38 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Chillin

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by FishPounder View Post
      Thanks. Early January sound good? Also what exactly does a media reactor do?

yeah that sounds good! you honestly wont be needing a reactor until your tank is cycled, but a reactor is basically kindof like a clear, small cylinder that you put media in like cardon, GFO, phosban ext. a small pump pushes tank water through the reactor and tumbles through the media so you can get the most optimal use out of your media rather than using carbon in a mesh bag. just a suggestion for the future.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information