• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 50g Zeovit Reef in the works

Funkateer_1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

50g Zeovit Reef in the works

Well due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to quickly tear apart my reef on Friday. I have all my livestock in a holding tank at AW. This has given me an opportunity to redo the tank and change some things that I didn't like about my previous set up. I am no stranger to probiotic systems and have used Vodka and solid polymer dosing with excellent results in the past. I have done tons of research into the Zeovit system and have messed around it in the past. Here are some things I really wanted to change about the old system...

- No Sand. Traps way to much nasty stuff and never would stay even in my high-flow system.

- No Fuge. Macroalgae can crash and sent way to much algae into my display.

- Adding a sump. I had excellent HOB equipment, but accessibility was a nightmare from behind. This time i'll do it right and get a sump custom built for my tank.

Tank specs...

Tank: 36"x18"x18" Visio glass aquarium w/ low iron front pane. Sump will be made out of acrylic and roughly 30"x15"x12"

Water Treatment: Bubble Magus NAC7 w/ mesh wheel pump and Vertex RX-Z 1.5 Zeolite Reactor.

Lighting: 6 x T5 HO bulbs..

- 2 x Giesemann Actinic +
      - 2 x Giesemann Aquablue
      - 1 x Giesemann Lagoon Blue
      - 1 x KZ Fiji Purple

Flow: QO 2200 return, 2x Vortech MP10s

Decor: All 'Real Reef' Cultured Liverock.

I let the tank sit stagnant for awhile so I have the system soaking in bleach right now. I should have it hopefully drilled this week then the fun begins!

Here we are today
      Last edited by Funkateer_1; 12-20-2012 at 09:03 PM.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

It will be cool to see a Zeo tank set up again. Not too many have the tolerance to do it. Should be fun to follow.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Sumps ready... Still waiting on the equipment to ship from Proline in Canada. Did a little preliminary plumbing as well, I wanna add another manifold with a gate valve in case I wanna add a calcium reactor down the road.

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

Kool! What happened with the last system?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Kool! What happened with the last system?
      An Urchin crawled on the effluent of my HOB Refugium and caused it to overflow behind my tank. That morning, I just hooked up a new power-strip with more sockets and didn't set a drip loop yet. I came home from the bars at 2am to about 10 gallons on the floor, my powerstrip sizzling, and smoke everywhere. I tore the tank apart and have my corals in holding. I suffered no losses in the move so i'm very lucky.

Honestly it was a freak accident.... I just introduced the urchin a few days earlier too (he's since been made trigger food).

Hey Bogg, I noticed in your signature that also use Zeovit. What products do you use?

I'm definitely using the KZ stones, but I was thinking about sticking to strait vodka (possible VGV) instead of zeostart. I also have had tons of luck with brightwell Coralmino too so I may continue to use that. Would love some advice from someone has been doing this for awhile. I've been on the zeovit forums but their all very adamant about sticking to strict KZ products.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Here was the tank a few days before the breakdown...

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

I found out the Vertex Omega skimmers are at least a month out via proline... I purchased a Bubble Magus NAC7 today and I think i'll be very happy with that skimmer....

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

I think i've finally settled on the plumbing too.

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Funkateer_1 View Post
      I found out the Vertex Omega skimmers are at least a month out via proline... I purchased a Bubble Magus NAC7 today and I think i'll be very happy with that skimmer....
      I had the NAC6 for awhile and it was an ok skimmer. I could never get it dialed in the way I wanted to though. I eventually went to an SRO Space Saver. Really happy with the switch.
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

I am:
      Piratey

I use pretty much all the supplements that kz makes
      They all do cool things,

In my experience running the full zeovit system since 2003 you might want to run a sandbed (more wiggle room) and you might also want to use a Venturi type skimmer rather than the needlewheel type (too agressive Ime)
      But to each is own, anyways it sounds like your just planing on using just the zeolites, IMO if your interested in doing zeovit ("zeovit reef") at least the first 4, start food bac and stones is the way to go, why? Well because its all in the r and d, there's guidelines along all the phases to do so as noted in the zeovit guide, if your experimenting with a hybrid system well then it's all up in the air what will happen, like I said to each is own if you feel like you personally can do better with what you choose to dose/ supplement than go for it, but Ime again the first 4 are the way to go, why? Well I still have my bottle of start 2 I purchased in 03 yup it's still like 1/4 full and it's kept me po4 free for almost a decade it's the 500ml bottle, a few drops of the start are very strong, now I did try vodka and Ime I got a wicked cyano outbreak jme though others have had
      Good results but jmo Ime
      Last edited by Bogg; 12-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Ya I think i'll stick with the 'main 4' for now especially while I start this whole thing up. Can't argue with results... I'll possibly make adjustments in the future as I re-introduce the acros and see how they respond. You ever have potassium deficiency issues? It seems like that's always an issue for probiotic systems.

I had the NAC6 for awhile and it was an ok skimmer. I could never get it dialed in the way I wanted to though. I eventually went to an SRO Space Saver. Really happy with the switch.
      I was going to purchase the Vertex Alpha 170 but after opening up the box I knew there is no way that would've fit in my sump. The NAC6 is a cylinder right? I've always had issues with that style skimmer foaming right. Anytime you do a water change or even look at it funny the water line seems to drop.

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

It is not a cone. I could just never get it to skim well. I now have the cone and it's pulling a lot darker skimmate and it smells a lot worse too!
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

I am:
      Piratey

I don't personally have potassium issues, why? Well I have the kzs skimmer which works great and is gentle on certain elements, I also use scripps natural salt water which has great potassium levels and is grest for zeovit because of the similar levels, kh ca and mag, that work great with the system, if you start with a good level to begin with it shouldn't be a major issue but the Venturi is key here Ime. For some bizarre reason the needlewheel skimmers don't shuck and jive with the Zeo method Ime.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

I don't personally have potassium issues, why? Well I have the kzs skimmer which works great and is gentle on certain elements, I also use scripps natural salt water which has great potassium levels and is grest for zeovit because of the similar levels, kh ca and mag, that work great with the system, if you start with a good level to begin with it shouldn't be a major issue but the Venturi is key here Ime. For some bizarre reason the needlewheel skimmers don't shuck and jive with the Zeo method Ime.
      I'll be using DI water with Aqua Vitro Salinity salt. I've used scripps in the past and had mixed results. For me, consistency is the key and good quality salt has never let me down. I've used solid polymers and vodka in the past and always had issues keep my K in check. I usually have to dose daily along with my other elements. Potassium always seems to be a crucial element for Acropora coloration and just curious if it's been an issue for you.

I really want the KZ S Skimmer and the price is fairly sane (>$600 isn't bad compared to the vertex line). I'll keep the magus for now but if it isn't up to snuff it'll probably just sell it. Space is quickly becoming an issue in the sump too.

I'm planning on doing the plumbing tomorrow, the only thing i'm waiting on now is the Vertex RX-Z Reactor.

I am:
      Piratey

Kool are you going to do the Zeo 14 day cycle thing?
      If your going to start with the needlewheel skimmer I would highly suggest getting the Kalium (potassium) test kit and some k balance and k strong, I'm just trying to help not bashing or anything it's just Ime it doesn't work, not only will you deplete the potassium but seems to just be too harsh if you will on elements etc when combined with the zeovit method Ime you'll get much better results, pe and overall health from a Venturi type or Beckett skimmer, even just look into making yours into one if you want to. Also I'm not sure if you read the guide but do so I even printed myself out a version to re-read. http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

From the zeovit guide:

As mentioned earlier, the basis of this method relies on export of harmful substances through skimming. Continuous use and frequent cleaning should be conducted in order to keep the skimmer performing at its maximum level. The results are better when the skimmer is adjusted in order not to produce too much concentrated skimmate (wet skimming). We would like to point out that it is our thought that needle wheels may precipitate certain elements and destroy plankton. These elements, e.g. such as potassium, will need to be re-added to the system. Do not use a skimmer that is too oversized or employ wet skimming if you use a needle wheel skimmer. We recommend the use of venturi type skimmers.
      Last edited by Bogg; 12-03-2012 at 07:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information