• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: 48" LED light mount - for glass tank (2 - 120W panel fixtures)

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

48" LED light mount - for glass tank (2 - 120W panel fixtures)

One of the 120W LED group buyers (he can unveil himself if he'd like), needed a light mount (stand) for his tank.
      ... he didn't want, or couldn't hang from his ceiling. So his only option without a canopy was to find a solution to mount his lights.

I offered to make him something simple, yet flexible. Slides front to back, or you can move the lights side to side a tad bit. It's sturdy (steel), and won't allow the lights to fall into the tank. Yet, allows all the light to shine down and is unobstructed by any part of the light mount.

I didn't charge him much, since it took me so long to get it done for him... and, being it's my first one for that type of idea. If anyone's interested, of coarse I can make you one too... not that hard, and doesn't take me long. However, it's your duty to paint it... I only provide it in raw steel. I also thought of doing it in aluminum... but, not sure any reefers are interested in doubling their cost for such a stand.

Here's pictures of the light mount, with one of my 120W frag-tank lights for measurement;
      (click on any image for a larger view)

From the bottom, to show no light is blocked;

Enjoy... commentary is welcomed.

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 11-03-2012 at 08:04 PM.

fishman2012 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The stand is amazing thanks again for making it. I set everything up after sanding it down and painting it but by the time I was done it was time for the lights to go out. I will take pictures of it in the morning and post them here. It looks great and it fit the tank perfectly hopefully you get to make a couple more.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by fishman2012 View Post
      The stand is amazing thanks again for making it. I set everything up after sanding it down and painting it but by the time I was done it was time for the lights to go out. I will take pictures of it in the morning and post them here. It looks great and it fit the tank perfectly hopefully you get to make a couple more.
      Awesome Kevin... looking forward to seeing it on the tank, painted, and glowing some LED light!

Jhuneke is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Wow! Very nice work! I will have a a similar need ( once I finish saving my $ for upgrade) to mount 2 panels into my canopy. I think something along these lines ..but mounted upside down ,into the lid. Do you suppose that would work, without any holes in top for vents? Of course, it would have to be more shallow..but it should work , right? I've not seen too much about leds mounted into canopy with a hinged lid. Great Job!

fishman2012 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Alright so after sanding it down, painting then repainting and adding clear coat here's what it looks like over the tank and with the lights on.

took pictures from my phone so they aren't the greatest quality but it looks great IRL. Thanks again Johnny.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Jhuneke View Post
      Wow! Very nice work! I will have a a similar need ( once I finish saving my $ for upgrade) to mount 2 panels into my canopy. I think something along these lines ..but mounted upside down ,into the lid. Do you suppose that would work, without any holes in top for vents? Of course, it would have to be more shallow..but it should work , right? I've not seen too much about leds mounted into canopy with a hinged lid. Great Job!
      Thanks! Of coarse I understand what your getting at.... an upside down design, so you can screw/bolt it into your canopy but retain ventilation room for fans above each unit. Not a problem... PM me when your ready to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman2012 View Post
      Alright so after sanding it down, painting then repainting and adding clear coat here's what it looks like over the tank and with the lights on.

took pictures from my phone so they aren't the greatest quality but it looks great IRL. Thanks again Johnny.
      Awesome Kevin!!! Looks better on your tank then it does on my garage floor!!!

Vince is offline Site Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Nice work Johnny looks clean!!

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
      Nice work Johnny looks clean!!
      Thanks Vince!!

SteveParkinson is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sweet stand Johnny, that looks really sharp!

Steve

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information