• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: v1.0 Dream Chip: Group Buy #2 (50 LED version. 100 LED version)

Zeuthen is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I need a bit of advice on the scaling of my lighting setup. As I am new to the hobby I am uncertain about how much light I'll need.

My tank is 120cm x 45cm x 45cm (approx. 47in x 18in x 18in). I plan on starting out with fish only, add a few softies along the way, and when I feel comfortable with it, maybe also SPS. As I'm on a budget and also like things done right the first time, I'd like to get a scalable solution that will fit my needs now and later.

Do you think two 50 led dream chips would serve my purpose, or do I need extra headroom for the SPS? (I plan on placing corals according to their light needs.)

Best,
      Esben

grttsou is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ronreef View Post
      Hi,

Although, the vendor does have an ebay store, this group buy is separate from Ebay. No payments shall be made through eBay at all.

When we have enough people to commit to 50pcs, I will send payment instructions to each group buy participant. Each payment will be sent directly
      to the vendor via Paypal. Not through eBay.

Best Regards,

Ron
      My mistake, I meant PayPal
      Sorry

Reefermike is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

the tank is 36w x18d x16 t. it has no light . i am probably going to downsize from a 40w x 36d x22 tank that has a 400w metal halide 20k radium. mainly downsize is due to the cost to light it up. i really do like the depth.

ronreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Reefermike View Post
      the tank is 36w x18d x16 t. it has no light . i am probably going to downsize from a 40w x 36d x22 tank that has a 400w metal halide 20k radium. mainly downsize is due to the cost to light it up. i really do like the depth.
      Hey Mike,

For SPS and assuming mid range coral placement in your 16" tank, you'll want to drive the chip greater than 50W. Lets say you drive to 80-90W, because your SPS demand it. Maybe less, but lets say 90W for now. At 90W with a FV of 31V will result in 2.90A. 2.90A divided by the 5 channels will give you .58A per channel. Each Dream Chip should cover 24"x24", intensity decreases as you move from under direct center. Two 50W Dream Chips should be good enough. You'll have to do some experimenting with your coral placement and light intensity. Remember to have adequate cooling for the Dream Chips, especially for the warranty to be honored. 0.7A is max current per LED. I personally would not run it over 0.6A per series string.

For extra headroom, especially if you go with a deeper tank, the 100LED Dream Chip may offer better flexibility. You can always supplement with additional 50LED Dream Chips.

Keep in mind the group has not decided one way or the other if we go 100LED version or the 50LED version. I simply cannot tell at the moment as we do not have enough participants in the group buy.

Hope this helps,

Ron

ps. Spread the word!
      Last edited by ronreef; 10-17-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Let me see if I understand. What if I wanted to run the channels so I could control them to be able to adjust the color. Is there a driver that I could run parallel between the two chips . To run Just channel 1 on both chips and so on . Or would ou recommend just getting a driver for each chip and run the whole enchalida on a driver ea. I am trying to wrap my head around it . If I could build these economically I might just keep my big cube.thanks for all the help.

Hughn is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

50w and 100w

Ron, whats the max watts on the 50w and 100w can go up to?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Let me see if I understand. What if I wanted to run the channels so I could control them to be able to adjust the color. Is there a driver that I could run parallel between the two chips . To run Just channel 1 on both chips and so on . Or would ou recommend just getting a driver for each chip and run the whole enchalida on a driver ea. I am trying to wrap my head around it . If I could build these economically I might just keep my big cube.thanks for all the help.
      Hi Mike,

The Dream Chip is very flexible. You can do all of what you suggested. It's just a matter of selecting the correct driver for the job. I'd suggest against running 10 drivers to run 10 separate channels across two Dream Chips. That's more a matter money savings than anything else.

If you don't mind the wiring, I'd recommend running the same channel on each chip in parallel:
      -Channel 1 on chip one in parallel with channel 1 on chip two.
      -Channel 2 on chip one in parallel with channel 2 on chip two.
      -Channel 3 on chip one in parallel with channel 3 on chip two.
      -Channel 4 on chip one in parallel with channel 4 on chip two.
      -Channel 5 on chip one in parallel with channel 5 on chip two.
      That's my recommendation, but it's solely up to you. You know what you want the best. The Dream Chip is flexible enough to accommodate.

Personally, I'd short whites together, short blues together and leave the UV as a stand alone channel. Then run one chip (or two chips in parallel) with 3 drivers.
      Better yet, short the blues together, and leave every thing else stand alone. Then run one chip (or two chips in parallel) with 4 drivers.

Ron

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Hughn View Post
      Ron, whats the max watts on the 50w and 100w can go up to?
      Hi,

Each individual LED is capable of handling up to 0.7A with a forward voltage of 3.1V.

50 LED Dream Chip Max. Power. Each channel is 10 LEDs in series:
      3.1V x .7A = 2.17W
      2.17W x 10 LEDs = 21.7W per channel
      21.7W x 5 channels = 108.5W

100 LED Dream Chip Max Power. Each channel is two 10 LED strings in parallel.
      3.1V x .7A = 2.17W
      2.17W x 20 LEDs = 43.4W per channel
      43.4W x 5 channels = 217W

From a practical standpoint, I would not run the chip over 0.6A per 10 LED series string.

Cooling is key for these chips. Don't skimp on proper cooling. Cooling is probably the most important part of the whole Dream Chip setup.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i like this. since it is 10 led @ 3.1 v in series you would need a driver capable of say 31v @700ma is that correct. i am trying to figure the drivers out to run the two chips. useing 4 drivers?

007Bond is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ron, Do you know why, When I get email of new posting to the thread, it links me to the beginning each time, instead of the last post? Thanks---Rick

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i like this. since it is 10 led @ 3.1 v in series you would need a driver capable of say 31v @700ma is that correct. i am trying to figure the drivers out to run the two chips. useing 4 drivers?
      Check out series HLG, HLN, LPF: http://www.meanwell.com/webnet/search/seriessearch.html

Look at the 36V versions. You'll just need to select the one with the correct output current for your setup.

Yes, two chips using four drivers if that is the way you intend to set things up.

Ron

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
      Ron, Do you know why, When I get email of new posting to the thread, it links me to the beginning each time, instead of the last post? Thanks---Rick
      Hey Rick, I don't know why it does that. You can change your user settings. Change display mode to newest first. That's maybe one way to get around it.

Ron

007Bond is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I try that. Is it only me?

Thanks---Rick

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks---Rick
      It happens to me too on this thread.
      Last edited by ronreef; 10-18-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks---Rick
      I noticed in the notification email that the hyperlink is broken. If you click on a broken hyperlink, it defaults to the first post.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information