• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: v1.0 Dream Chip: Group Buy #2 (50 LED version. 100 LED version)

ChouDawg is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

What kind of drivers are you guys using for these Multichips? I want to price out a 50W for my nano, thanks
      Last edited by ChouDawg; 10-15-2012 at 10:24 AM.

ronreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuthen View Post
      Ah, I see. I was hoping for an FV of about 18V, because that would allow me to connect two or three chips in serial for an FV of 36V or 54V, saving drivers. Seems that 72V and 108V drivers are not very common though

I'm not very keen on doing a parallel connection, because it is a more complicated setup, and you might run into problems with thermal runaway when the strings are not thermally coupled. See http://ledsmagazine.com/features/6/2/2 for a more thorough explanation.

Did anyone try to hook a couple of multichips in parallel and watch the current on each string?

Best,
      Esben
      Thanks for sharing. It's a practical way to match current when running to two channels in parallel.

Ron
      Last edited by ronreef; 10-15-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ChouDawg View Post
      What kind of drivers are you guys using for these Multichips? I want to price out a 50W for my nano, thanks
      For the 50 LED version with all channels tied together you can use the 36V version here:
      http://www.meanwell.com/search/hlg-100h/default.htm

It'll max out at 82W at FV = 31V leaving you the option to crank up the power. You'll likely want to keep it lower depending on the size of your nano.
      Check out the other drivers on that site, something else might suit your tank needs better.

Hope this helps,

Ron

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

how is it looking on the 50w front? is there any chance that there is gonna be an order for those?
      Also when is the last date of joining this group buy?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by weawer View Post
      how is it looking on the 50w front? is there any chance that there is gonna be an order for those?
      Also when is the last date of joining this group buy?
      There is no hard date for the group buy. The group buy purchase is dependent on the amount of pcs we, as a group, commit to buying. The minimum is 50pcs. That being said, there is no way to tell whether we will go 50 LED or the 100 LED version. Not enough commitments to make that call.

This group buy depends on each individual to push the group buy to others. Until we get enough people to commit to buy 50 pcs, it won't happen.

So, please pass the word to your local reefers. We need more people.

Thanks,

Ron

weav is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

weawer here my last account got inactivated hence im posting from here instead.

i got passed here from saltvattensguiden so i guess my local reefers are allready notified

weav is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

May there be an idea to post this on other reefing sites aswell such as ultimate reef etc?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by weav View Post
      weawer here my last account got inactivated hence im posting from here instead.

i got passed here from saltvattensguiden so i guess my local reefers are allready notified
      Hello,

My statement was not directed to you but was a general statement to ensure this group buy is a success.

It's a very good idea to post on other reef sites!

Best Regards,
      Ron

ChouDawg is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by ronreef View Post
      For the 50 LED version with all channels tied together you can use the 36V version here:
      http://www.meanwell.com/search/hlg-100h/default.htm

It'll max out at 82W at FV = 31V leaving you the option to crank up the power. You'll likely want to keep it lower depending on the size of your nano.
      Check out the other drivers on that site, something else might suit your tank needs better.

Hope this helps,

Ron
      Thanks Ron for the information and exact usable driver, that helps a lot. Excuse my newbie question but are these 1W x 50 LED for the 50W chips and 1W x 100 LED for the 100W chips? If that's the case can I run each row or a couple rows to a smaller driver, giving me the ability to dim them individually etc. Would you happen to know the FV of each LED if it is in fact an array as I mentioned? The smaller drivers commonly used on the classic DIY LED arrays are more common and generally cheaper.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ChouDawg View Post
      Thanks Ron for the information and exact usable driver, that helps a lot. Excuse my newbie question but are these 1W x 50 LED for the 50W chips and 1W x 100 LED for the 100W chips? If that's the case can I run each row or a couple rows to a smaller driver, giving me the ability to dim them individually etc. Would you happen to know the FV of each LED if it is in fact an array as I mentioned? The smaller drivers commonly used on the classic DIY LED arrays are more common and generally cheaper.
      No problem! I try and help when I can, but work gets in the way

Calling them 1W LED's is misleading. Each individual LED is capable of handling up to 2.2W at VF = 3.15V and IF = .7A. Though, I personally would drive it no higher than .6A.
      There are 5 channels, and each channel can be independently controlled. I plan to short the blues together and drive with one driver. I also plan to do that with the whites. The UV channel will be indpendently controlled as well.

If you look back on the first page of this thread, there is a table with actual measured forward voltages. Note that was measured on a 100 LED Dream Chip, but VF should be the same for the 50 LED version.

Ron

Reefermike is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So if I wanted to use these multi hips on a 40 breeder, ( 2 ) of the 50 watt would cover this and give acceptable par for clams. If so to run both LEDs what would you recommend for drivers . I want it. To be controllable and flexible. I would love two of these but would need to see about the drivers to compare the cost of multichip vs multi 3w chip . I like the halide look I have now so I would lean towards these if I can make it work on the wallet

gc9n is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

interesting Led...

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Reefermike View Post
      So if I wanted to use these multi hips on a 40 breeder, ( 2 ) of the 50 watt would cover this and give acceptable par for clams. If so to run both LEDs what would you recommend for drivers . I want it. To be controllable and flexible. I would love two of these but would need to see about the drivers to compare the cost of multichip vs multi 3w chip . I like the halide look I have now so I would lean towards these if I can make it work on the wallet
      What are the dimensions of the tank?

What kind of Metal Halides are you running over your tank? Power?

Ron

grttsou is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hello Ron,

I have finally decided to buy the dream led. How can I stay away from something dreamable…
      So, I have already sent you a pm with my billing details for the payment through Ebay
      Thank you

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by grttsou View Post
      Hello Ron,

I have finally decided to buy the dream led. How can I stay away from something dreamable…
      So, I have already sent you a pm with my billing details for the payment through Ebay
      Thank you
      Hi,

Although, the vendor does have an ebay store, this group buy is separate from Ebay. No payments shall be made through eBay at all.

When we have enough people to commit to 50pcs, I will send payment instructions to each group buy participant. Each payment will be sent directly
      to the vendor via Paypal. Not through eBay.

Best Regards,

Ron

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information