• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Arduino Controllers?

Dugaru is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Arduino Controllers?

Have any of you guys attempted this? I've been eyeing the build over at http://www.reefprojects.com/wiki/Main_Page. Should save some cash and be much more flexible than RKE (plus, it appeals to my tech-nerd side). Can also add things to it like WiFi, etc so you can check in/manage the tank from your phone. I'll likely do this build at some point, figured I'd ask if anyone else has experience on here.

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Glanced at that thread, pretty technical for a computer idiot like me, gonna tag along.

Josh009 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Arduino Controllers?

I looked at DIYs but ended up with a ReefAngel. Most of the benefits without much effort. I'm happy with that decision. YMMV of course.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Just wanted to update this thread - I bought the first two pieces for my Arduino reef controller. 1st connected piece will be my new lights. I'll make build threads for all of the above. My goal is to eventually add temperature and PH monitoring, as well as wavemaker capabilities. Perhaps later on some remote monitoring/alerting capability for out-of-range temp/ph/etc.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

The only issue that I have with the DIY Arduino controllers is reliability. When you buy something like an RKE, Apex, Reef Angel, etc. you are buying something that is purpose built for the application. Years of R&D have gone into today's current controllers. Even the Reef Angel, which has not been out that long compared to the competitors, has had years of development behind it. DIY'ers can certainly build a controller using an Arduino platform, but how will you know that your temp is going to be 100% reliable? Is the circuitry and probe truly giving an accurate reading all across the range that you need? I love building electronic stuff as witnessed by my DIY LED build, but I am a bit reluctant to go down that road with something as vital as a controller for temp, ph, etc.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I certainly see your point. The Arduino chip has also gone through tons of testing (as have any of the associated shields/modules/etc if you buy them through reputable sources). It is also reliant on what the individual person is able to code (and how well) or copy from others.

I would argue the same for the RK, Apex, etc controllers? How do you know they are accurate? When it comes down to it, we are all mixing electronics with water (and saltwater at that), two things that certainly don't get along nicely, the reality is that these things are all going to fail at some point. The question is when and how.

In the end, it's to each their own. I may be the only person on the forum who chooses to go this route as opposed to one of the 'pre-built' methods, but at the very least I would like to venture down the path, see what happens and document my experience for others who may choose (or consider) to go the same route :-)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information