• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Multichip LED Build

ronreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

DIY Multichip LED Build

Drumming up interest for a 3rd group buy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dream Chips are trickling in! A few people in Sweden have received Dream Chips.

Now, it's time to see the different builds manifest from this 5 channel Dream Chip.

Yes, it's a 5 channel Multichip Panel from AC-RC using the following LED configuration:
      Channel 1) 10S x 2P 10000K (EPISTAR: 45mils)
      Channel 2) 10S x 2P 455nm (EPISTAR: 45mils) (blue, beneficial to chlorophyll C)
      Channel 3) 10S x 420nm parallel with 10S x 430nm (EPILED: 45mils) (UV range)
      Channel 4) 10S x 2P 445nm (EPISTAR: 45mils) (blue, beneficial to chlorophyll C)
      Channel 5) 10S x 2P 15000K (EPISTAR: 45mils)

I'll update this first post of the thread with more information when I get the time this weekend.

It's a very exciting time!

New multichip carriers off the line.

First engineering sample off the line of the Dream Chip. Leads unclipped.

Part orientation: Positive and Negative Side. Leads clipped.

Close up:

Final version with lead extension soldered on. Ready for shipping:
      Last edited by ronreef; 06-02-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Update 7

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

-

Dream Chip Spectral Plot Channel Overlay. Each of the 5 channels were measured independently and the spectral profile saved. When all were measured, the profiles were overlayed onto one plot:

Dream Chip PAR data taken in air by AC-RC:

Dream Chip Part Drawing for Build Reference:

For successful long term usage of the Dream Chip or any other multchip LED panel, cooling is very important!
      AC-RC recommends equal to or less than 60C measured at the metal back plate.

For the buyer of multichip LED panels, be aware of non-genuine EPILED and EPISTAR LEDs. One sure fire way to tell the difference is by inspecting the surface morphology of the
      LED itself. Each manufacturer has it's own signature surface design as seen below. If it looks nothing like what you see in photo below, it's probably not what you thought it was.
      Ask your seller to provide proof before you purchase.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some Dream Chip videos from Andreas. First posted on the Swedish site: Benighteds_Dream_Chip_Build

Both blue channels:

UV channel:

Both white channels:

All channels:
      Last edited by ronreef; 06-02-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Update 6

Sonny is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I am hoping to find a package on my porch when I get home!

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

While I was not in on the group buy, I am very curious how these will be used with so many different possibilities and so many different people doing this. How often do we get to see a product truly designed by those end users that are actually using it as opposed to what some marketing guy thinks the end user wants? Can't wait to see the in tank results from this.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Lasse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      While I was not in on the group buy, I am very curious how these will be used with so many different possibilities and so many different people doing this. How often do we get to see a product truly designed by those end users that are actually using it as opposed to what some marketing guy thinks the end user wants? Can't wait to see the in tank results from this.
      This design and group buy is something special I think. People all around the world cooperate an a new product was born. Computer people has done this for decades with open source - but I have never seen something like this according to "hardware". Be sure - this product will be tested and tested again and the resultas will be published here I think.

By the way - my chipīs has arived to the post office

Sincerely Lasse

Benighted is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Got my dreamchips today, nice stuff, I have testdriven one of them with my lab power supply, only one channel at a time and only for a max of 9W as I don't have any cooling attached yet.. But some pics of the chip and some preliminary fitting test of the temporary cooling solution until i decide on the final cooling solution... I will attach the LED to a piece of aluminum which in turn will be attached to the cooler.

Last edited by Benighted; 09-21-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Benighted View Post
      Got my dreamchips today, nice stuff, I have testdriven one of them with my lab power supply, only one channel at a time and only for a max of 9W as I don't have any cooling attached yet.. But some pics of the chip and some preliminary fitting test of the temporary cooling solution until i decide on the final cooling solution... I will attach the LED to a piece of aluminum which in turn will be attached to the cooler.
      Very nice! Wow. Impressive!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      Yes, the "in the tank" and coral thriving end result is most important. Dream Chip Builds will start popping up left and right, but the "real" end result is "eye popping" and thriving healthy coral. Realistically, it can take months after the fixture is first lit up and positioned over the tank to see results. I'm glad we're here!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
      This design and group buy is something special I think. People all around the world cooperate an a new product was born. Computer people has done this for decades with open source - but I have never seen something like this according to "hardware". Be sure - this product will be tested and tested again and the resultas will be published here I think.

By the way - my chipīs has arived to the post office

Sincerely Lasse
      Lasse,

My hope is to have most of the results published here on this thread. I've saved the first couple posts of this thread to compile information. Not exclusive to this
      thread, but as a central location to find information on the Dream Chip. Whether it's Dream Chip data, fixture building, power supply questions, wiring questions, or help in general, this thread should hold the answer or some part of answer to help anyone wanting information on (Dream Chip) multichip LED panels. Sure the original RC thread should live long and prosper, but for uncensored talk relating to vendors and links without the threat of getting banned or suspended, SDR is the place to be. With your energy and spirit, I'm sure it will be the place to be

Ron
      Last edited by ronreef; 09-21-2012 at 01:45 PM.

KDHL is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

WOW... these look COOL...

Make sure you guys patent it... or else Apple will patent it....!!

reza is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

DIY Multichip LED Build

Ron , Lasse & all others that made possible, thank you for all your efforts and input. I'm sure we will see many exciting builds and results to come. I'm waiting eagerly for my chips to arrive.
      Hopefully soon Africa ain't that far .

Reza
      South Africa

acabgd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I would also like to thank Ron, Lasse and all the others on contributing to this Dream Chip. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive to Serbia, hopefully won't be that long.

Quote Originally Posted by KDHL View Post
      WOW... these look COOL...

Make sure you guys patent it... or else Apple will patent it....!!
      That's actually not a bad idea at all. Ron, did you have any intention on patenting this design/mix? Is it possible to do it at all?

reza is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

patent

Is it possible to do a group patent? what do you guys think? or we just leave it open source?

Reza

Screener is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I think you could try to protect it but once the design discussion is in the public domain then a "prior art" attack would make the protection moot.
      That is once the invention part of a patented object is published in public forums that prior art can be practiced by anyone and a defense of the patent -- a patent is only worth what you are willing to spend to defend it-- is sure to fail.

In the real world patents are infringed all the time. Infrequently they are defended.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by acabgd View Post
      I would also like to thank Ron, Lasse and all the others on contributing to this Dream Chip. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive to Serbia, hopefully won't be that long.

That's actually not a bad idea at all. Ron, did you have any intention on patenting this design/mix? Is it possible to do it at all?
      I had no intention of patenting or protecting the LED configuration at all. Nor, do I believe it needs to be patented. If my intent was to patent or protect it, a different path would have been taken to protect the Dream Chip LED configuration design.

That being said, I'm just a reefing enthusiast, like everyone else here, eager to have good efficient lighting.

Ron
      Last edited by ronreef; 09-22-2012 at 08:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information