• + Reply to Thread
    Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Multichip LED Build

Zeuthen is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
      It is also possible to use the LDD-H series, 600 mA or 700 mA. This drivers need also one constant voltage source like this With tprobablyan probbably run 15 LDD-H (3 psc of 50 LED chip) if you use the 600 mA driver.
      Sincerely Lasse
      According to the LDD-H datasheet, input voltage must be at least 3V higher than output voltage. The PSU you link to outputs 36V, so I think it's gonna be a close call, if it works at all. I'd go for the 48V PSU version instead.

Best,

Esben

ronreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ronreef View Post
      Check this out. These could work: http://www.trcelectronics.com/roal/pdf/rsld070.pdf

Ron
      Don't forget about these if you have a 1-10V controller.
      I still like Lasse's drivers.

Ron

jsjonesrdh is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Would it be preferred to mount the LED directly to the heatsink instead of a copper or aluminum mounting plate despite the overhang? It seems like mounting it to an adapter plate would reduce cooling efficiency.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Deleted post
      Last edited by jsjonesrdh; 11-20-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Lasse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuthen View Post
      According to the LDD-H datasheet, input voltage must be at least 3V higher than output voltage. The PSU you link to outputs 36V, so I think it's gonna be a close call, if it works at all. I'd go for the 48V PSU version instead.

Best,

Esben
      Esben - these PSUs is adjustable a bit. I tested my PSU just now (exactly the one I linked to - the same vendor). I can adjust it up to over 40 V so it works. When you work with step down technology I have always heard that it is important to be so close to the real Voltage (+ what the driver need) as possible because you get heat problem otherwise (Janne help me out here!)

Sincerely Lasse

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

To everyone doing a build: When you are complete with your build, would you post pictures of your whole setup and a brief writeup of your components and assembly? My knowledge is quite limited compared to a lot of people here. I spend a lot of time reading about concepts I don't understand. I would love to make this build work and I am eager to learn but I'm a bit overwhelmed on the process of setting these lights correctly. I have also read through a large majority of the builds in reef central but they are using the single channel chips. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here and I'm anxious to start my build (as soon as my chip arrives)
      Best regards,
      Justin

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I will be custom building a tank to match this light. Im planning a 20-24" X 24" X 20 ( or close to). I want to mount the light as a single pendant around 18" or so above the tank. I like the idea of individual control of the 5 channels but honestly I bought the light due to the better spectrum compared to all the other 100w LEDs out there. I have a few preliminary questions.
      1. What driver and dimmer would I use if I wanted to run all the channels off of a single driver? I'm not set on this but I am a bit concerned with overall cost using 5 high end drivers.
      2. I think it has been mentioned for multiple chip setups but what problems would I face running 2 drivers (2 white on one driver and 2 blue and uv on another) Would the issue of the uv channel having a different fv come into play here?
      3. I read that ac-rc recommended a driver to led connection less than one meter? Is that right? That would seriously limit getting these drivers under the tank.
      4. See question of mine 3 posts up regarding using a cooling adapter plate.
      5. Do these meanwell drivers you guys reference come with dimmer switches (potentiometers?) or are those installed separately?

Thank you for you help and patience.

RyansReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks Lasse for the wealth of information. I have ordered three fifty watt dream chips, I would like to run all three off of five Meanwell drivers at around 600 ma. per channel. Can you recomend which Meanwell dimmable drivers to use? I was leaning towards Hln-60h-36. Thanks in advance.
      Ryan
      Last edited by RyansReef; 11-20-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hi all

Ask, ask and ask. In this way we make this thread be as powerful as the "main" thread at RC. Three people (with little help of their friends succeed to put down that thread. They first did a takeover and after that (when the greedy one (me) did not destroyed thread down with marketing) they stop to post).

@jsjonesrdh, RyansReef

1) There is a some written about this. Its not only the actinic channel that causes problems. One of the whites seems to vary also. If you run the 50 LEDs chip (all 5 channels in parallel mode) at 1700 mA - and the 100 LEDs chip at 3500 mA (all 5 channels in parallel mode) - no problem. The individual LEDs will manage the imbalance of different FV's in the channels. If you want to run the chips at a little bit higher - is best to do some measurements. I have done that with a couple and I think that it will be no problems up to 2500 mA (50 version) and 5000 mA (100 version). But for be sure - measure. According to that - the HLN -60H-36B will fit.
      2) Make it three drivers instead, normally the actinic differ a little to much. But if you measure and adjust your currents to the different setups - it works. With 1000 mA for the whites (2 in parallel mode) and 1500 ma for the blue+actinic (3 in parallel mode) channels it should work for the 50 LED chip, double up the currents for the 100 LED chip
      3) My experiences is not the same but use thicker wires
      4) On one hand - that - but on the other hand - this. To be honest I do not know. With some of the coolers you need a plate between the chip and the cooler plate because that you should built this chip to the cooler. I´m afraid that the adhesive thermal glue is not strong enough in the long run. I have done both setups (plate and none)
      5) You have to buy the pot by yourself

Good Meanwell drivers for all in one driving

50 LED Chip: HLN-60H-36B -> 1700 mA, HLN-80H-36B -> 2300 mA, HLN-80H-42B ->1950 mA LPF-60D-36 -> 1670 mA,.
      100 LED Chip: HLG-120H-36B ->3400 mA, HLG-185H-36B (or 42B) -> 5200 mA (4400 mA for 42B), HLG-240H-48B -> 5000 mA (the 42B can fit if you check your chip -> 5720 mA)

Sincerely Lasse
      Last edited by Lasse; 11-21-2012 at 12:02 AM.

gc9n is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks Lasse for you time, very informative answer..

i will buy this driver X 3 for the dreamled 50

http://www.powergatellc.com/mean-wel...er-supply.html

Hi

I have got some questions about the 50 LED chip through PM and e-mail.
      I´ll try to answer them here. Each channel of the 50 LED chip consist of 10 individually LED in a daisy chain). The FV therefore be the same as for the 100 LED chip (each channel consist of two daisy chains of 10 LEDs. This two daisy chains connected to each other in parallel mode) -> 30 - 36 V.

Each channel of the 50 LED chip can max be driven at 700 mA. Normal current 350 mA. The best is to have one driver/channel. There is possibilities to use only 3 drivers. One for the two white channels, one for the two blue channels and one for the actinic channel. The two white channels has to be connected in parallel, the same with the two blue. In parallel mode - max current is 1400 mA. The actinic (for its self) still max 700 mA

Good Mean Well drivers for 5 channels is:
      ELN -30-48 (D or P; D= 1-10 V and P = PWM) Current - mac 630 mA
      [URL="http://www.meanwell.com/search/LPF-16D/default.htm"]LPF-16D-3dimable. dimabel through pot, 1-10 V or PWM, max 450 mA
      [URL="http://www.meanwell.com/search/LPF-25D/default.htm"]LPF-25D-dimable], dimabel through pot, 1-10 V or PWM, max 700 mA

It is also possible to use the LDD-H series, 600 mA or 700 mA. This drivers need also one constant voltage source like this With this you can probbably run 15 LDD-H (3 psc of 50 LED chip) if you use the 600 mA driver.

Sincerely Lasse
      Last edited by gc9n; 11-21-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by gc9n View Post
      Thanks Lasse for you time, very informative answer..

i will buy this driver X 3 for the dreamled 50

http://www.powergatellc.com/mean-wel...er-supply.html
      For the actinic channel - take ELN-30 -48 (D or P) but for the two white (conected parallel) you can use ELN-30-27 (D or P) - that gives you an option to go upp to 1120 mA -> 560/mA channel. The same for the two blue channels. There is also an internal pot inside these drivers so ju can adjust down the current.

Sincerely Lasse

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hi all

Ask, ask and ask. In this way we make this thread be as powerful as the "main" thread at RC. Three people (with little help of their friends succeed to put down that thread. They first did a takeover and after that (when the greedy one (me) did not destroyed thread down with marketing) they stop to post).

Sincerely Lasse
      Hi Lasse,

Did the thread get closed? I was just on RC but did not see the thread. Maybe I missed it because I was quickly browsing on my phone.

Ron

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Nevermind. No new postings since the 19th. The thread got pushed down. I just missed it.
      Weird since the thread usually floats near the top of the heap.

007Bond is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ronreef View Post
      Hi Lasse,

Did the thread get closed? I was just on RC but did not see the thread. Maybe I missed it because I was quickly browsing on my phone.

Ron
      They may as well close it,...no one posting to it anymore.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
      They may as well close it,...no one posting to it anymore.
      Its easy to start up the thread again - I write some results from my tests of the Dream Chip and the result will be at least 3 persons to pick on it . But it will only result in me being banned . I´m forbidden to post anything that they see as promotion of the Dream chip. And how I have commercially promote the Dream Chip - they do not want to say.

But let us do this thread to something that seems impossible at RC, good suggestions, links to places there you can get the good stuff and shared experiences of our builts.

Sincerely Lasse

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information