• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Group Buy: 220W Multichip LED Cooler

Lasse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

A CNPS8900 Extreme is on its way home to me It will be tested with a 100 w chip (45 mil). I have not a large driver so it will only be tested att 105 W.

You had to be careful not to overload a heat pipe construction. I have seen report talking about a limmit - and over that it just crash and not working - the temperure rise more and more.. i´m not no if it is true but it can be.

Sincerely Lasse

@ 007Bond: My e-mail still not working.

tentacles is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yep, depending on what it's filled with and how much, it's possible for all the liquid in a heatpipe to become pressurized vapor. I saw a comparison of different fluids, water, butane, methanol and acetone - acetone did the best and it did so when the heatpipe was completely filled. I expect few commercial heatpipes are filled with it given it's volatility and burning characteristics.. But even a completely filled heatpipe would fail once you reached the supercritical temperature/pressure combination. (This significant temperature would be measured at the cooling side of the heatpipe rather than at the heatsink side)

Rick: By 40C, I mean 40C over ambient, which would be 60-70C depending on what that number is. Anyone without A/C would need to account for this during warm periods. Operating within a hood can also impact the ambient temp, so this can be a factor too. Extra fans may be required to keep the air inside a hood cool.

007Bond is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post

Rick: By 40C, I mean 40C over ambient, which would be 60- 70C depending on what that number is. Anyone without A/C would need to account for this during warm periods. Operating within a hood can also impact the ambient temp, so this can be a factor too. Extra fans may be required to keep the air inside a hood cool.
      Oh, I see... Thanks again Tom for this info. So when a manufacture states a cooler will handle up to 300W for example,do I need to find out what it will cool the 300W to over a ambient temp? So if my home is 75f=24c then 40c+24c=64c degrees.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Your math is correct. And as to mfr spec, it all depends on test conditions, right? If it's a graphics cooler it could be designed for a higher end operating temperature, graphics processor silicon is capable of handling higher temperatures than CPUs. (105C vs 70C). But most of the high end coolers are made to get the temperatures lower than needed to give headroom for driving the chips much harder than they were meant to go.

If it's any help at all, with the 150w multichip, fan on high, the zalman cnps7000 gave about 22C over ambient, and frostytech rates it at 32C over ambient at 125w heat input. My temp measurement should be taken with a grain of salt ( I added +2C there also) since the best I have is a infrared thermometer. In it's defense, it is bang on with boiling water and checked against my calibrated mercury lab thermometer. I think the CNPS8900 will do the job, but I won't know for sure until I mount up a dream chip and give it some throttle. Remember, my 40C number is a guesstimate and I expect the actual value is lower but I would prefer to be surprised in a good way.
      Last edited by tentacles; 09-09-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks Tom,
      Everybody likes surprises in a good way I'll keep watching for your test updates on the 8900.
      Seems like the 7000 is doing a decent job if frostytech rates it at 32c on 125w load, and your getting +-22c on a 150w load.
      ---Rick
      Last edited by 007Bond; 09-10-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Test with CNPS8900 Extreme and 45 mil 100 watts hybrid chip. 31.9 V - 3.03 A = 96 W. Fan - 6V - temperature at the backplate 36 C; Fan full speed - temperature 33 C. Ambient 26 C

It was possible to attach the chips using two of the original attachments. The chip was bolted diagonally with two bolts. Two holes in the chip was however enlarged. This cooler is perfect for 100 watts and I believe that it is possible to drive up to 150 to 175 watts with this cooler or maybe even more.

Sincerely Lasse

Pictures

Last edited by Lasse; 09-12-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks, lasse - that 33C is with the fan at only 6v! That's pretty impressive. I am guessing that was the free hanging temperature and not installed in the PVC tube? It looks like unless you brace that unit in so it sits higher up, that the angle of the pipe may block the flow from the outer fins. I can't really see up in there from here but it looks like it might be. I expect you'll want to use the next optic size down, though? That is a pretty tight fit in the tube, going to restrict some airflow I bet.

That's a HUGE optic - do you find the bigger ones actually make a difference over the 44mm type?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Fan - 6v Temperature - 36
      Fan full (12 V) temperature 33 Both at 100 W

The angel vill not block more than 1 mm but I´m going to make some changes in the air flow. Yes - its huge but I bought it 4 months ago - it was the only 60 degree that was available.

Sincerely Lasse

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
      Fan - 6v Temperature - 36
      Fan full (12 V) temperature 33 Both at 100 W

Sincerely Lasse
      Hi Lasse, Yes were those temp. measurements in the PVC?

Do you think the CHPS 8900 would work on my set up?
      I like... the low profile, frostytechs tests, and cost. I don't know what wattage I
      will need to run at, without testing. How was the noise at 12V. Thanks---Rick

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

New readings with the whole thing inside the tube: Fan 7,5 V - temperature at the back plate 40 C

Pictures will come later on

Sincerely Lasse

Its later.....

Sincerely Lasse
      Last edited by Lasse; 09-13-2012 at 01:48 PM.

ronreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Nice!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
      Hi Lasse, Yes were those temp. measurements in the PVC?

Do you think the CHPS 8900 would work on my set up?
      I like... the low profile, frostytechs tests, and cost. I don't know what wattage I
      will need to run at, without testing. How was the noise at 12V. Thanks---Rick
      I do not know if it works in your hood, probably you have to run it with another solution of the splash guard cause the temperature rise about 8 degrees C when I have in the tube. The sound of fan is rather high when its run in full mode. Probably your hood will kill that sound.

Sincerely Lasse

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

FYI: Group buy for both the cooler and lens will end this Sunday.

Thanks,

Ron

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Please post your build information here:
      http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...chip-LED-Build

Lets have fun with it, and educate others at the same time.

Ron

Manne is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Has anyone resived the group buy cooler ? , i got picture sent from Acrc , but no cooler yet.. The dreamchip has arrived!

/manne

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information