• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reef/ Fish Safe Eels and Puffers?

byronjbacon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Reef/ Fish Safe Eels and Puffers?

Hey all,

As I've posted earlier I'm about to do a move and I'll be getting a larger tank. I want to add an Eel, but don't want to have to put a divider up. I would also, if at all possible place a puffer in with it. What species of eel and puffer are known to be compatible with reef and fish? I wouldn't be at all heartbroken if it occasionaly ate a crab or something, I'm primarily worried about the soft corrals and anemonies as well as my fish. Any suggestions and past experiences would be greatly appreciated as I plan out this new tank.

Thanks,
      Byron

bradreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

eels just need to have a smaller mouth than the fish .. or bigger fish than the eel. I saw very small snowflakes at aquatic warehouse that would do well in a reef. puffers you have to worry about them munching on coral and other things.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

The only issue I've had with snowflakes is them getting out of the tank. If my tank wasn't rimless I would probably have one as they are a very cool critter. Seriously thinking about a mesh top just so I can keep one. Don't care much for the puffers.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

puffers wouldn't like some of the super high flow tanks we have. So think about that also.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The more I've looked in to puffers the more turned off I've become. They seem to be very troublesome for any reef tank.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I've been doing alot of research and asking around on different eels, and I do want one. I've narrowed down my list to either the snowflake or the chain link. Alot of people sware by the snowflake, but I haven't run in to anybody with a chain link. I would want to get it as a juvenile, so I don't think there would ever be a problem with it harassing the smaller fish. Anybody have some input on that? Thanks for sharing your experiences guys.

sdsocal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

Golden Dwarf Morays are a good choice. They are a smaller spieces of Moray. We've had one in our tank for many months. No issues or escaping. As I'm sure you are aware most are very reclusive so not alot of face time.

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Snow flakesmare great & really fun to feed.

Esco reef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Re: Reef/ Fish Safe Eels and Puffers?

Great now I want an eel... Lol my only concern would be him going for my cleaner and fire shrimps..would the eel feed on them suckers ?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Never seen a "reef safe" puffer.
      There's always something in the tank for them to eat. Whether it's a snail, clam, hermit... or even a coral to nip at.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 cube View Post
      The only issue I've had with snowflakes is them getting out of the tank. ...........
      I second that!!! ... even with lids on a glass tank, and the back plastic cut with no more then a 1/4" gap around HOB filtration... my snowflake got out, more then once! Lasted hours on the kitchen floor both times. Resilient they are. The third time... it was a day before I noticed, and by the time I got to it... it looked like a coiled up power cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Esco reef View Post
      Great now I want an eel... Lol my only concern would be him going for my cleaner and fire shrimps..would the eel feed on them suckers ?
      I used to feed my eels frozen shrimp... so, I'd say ya... Eels eat shrimp.

Read this; http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...131&pcatid=131
      The Snowflake Eel, also known as the Snowflake Moray Eel, Clouded Moray, or Starry Moray, is one of the most beautiful morays, and inhabits caves and crevices throughout the Indo-Pacific reefs. In the wild, it can grow to 39 inches; most captive specimens will not exceed 24 inches.
      This is a very hardy eel, but an escape artist. A 50 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock and a tightly fit canopy is ideal. Most of the eels that are lost in an aquarium are due to poorly sealed tanks. The Snowflake Eel is safe to house with any fish it cannot easily swallow. It can be housed with some invertebrates, like anemones and corals, but not crustaceans.

The wild Snowflake Eel is a nocturnal predator, ambushing fish and crustaceans. In the tank, it will take frozen or freeze-dried krill, fish, shrimp, and most meaty foods. It can be taught to hand feed, although this should be done with caution, as it can inflict a painful bite.

Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 5" to 8"; Medium: 9" to 12"; Large: over 12"
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 08-29-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That is a tragic story, I'd be really upset if that happened. I'd be getting a very sturdy lid with weight on it.

seareef is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Sleeping... ZZZZZZ

I am:
      Cool

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by byronjbacon View Post
      That is a tragic story, I'd be really upset if that happened. I'd be getting a very sturdy lid with weight on it.
      He didn't "lift" the lid... he merely, found a small mm gap to get through somehow.

Duke4130 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by byronjbacon View Post
      I've been doing alot of research and asking around on different eels, and I do want one. I've narrowed down my list to either the snowflake or the chain link. Alot of people sware by the snowflake, but I haven't run in to anybody with a chain link. I would want to get it as a juvenile, so I don't think there would ever be a problem with it harassing the smaller fish. Anybody have some input on that? Thanks for sharing your experiences guys.
      I bought a ghost eel that had a really small mouth. I thought that there was no way he could eat anything in my tank, well i was wrong. Little by little I was missing fish and shrimp. They hunt at night while the fish are dormant. When the fish are sleeping they do not have chance against an eel

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information