• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Closed Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "buying a used handgun" thread.... closed?

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

"buying a used handgun" thread.... closed?

Just wondering why the thread was closed;
      http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...a-used-handgun

Not because I'm being nosy... but, because I'm a gun enthusiast and didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the thread... or anything in the site/forum rules about posting of firearm questions. I'd liked to have helped Jared out... information sharing is super helpful for new gun owners... or future gun owners.

AND... I didn't see any admin or MOD notes (post replies) as to any rule infractions.

Plus, you never know when you need to stock up for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Yolo is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Guns and Reefs just don't seem to mix. There are some stickeys somewhere....hard to start drawing lines. Just best for everything to just limit the whole subject or just keep it down. I saw that post a while ago, and since it was advice for a young person, left it. One of the MODS might have closed it to not get it out of hand.

Like I said, there just isn't a place here for Firearms and all the issues associated with them...

m
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

I really love arguing with strangers on the internet...NOT...be cool."
      "I was Yolo before it got weird."
      http://www.sandiegofishingclub.com

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Yolo View Post
      Guns and Reefs just don't seem to mix. There are some stickeys somewhere....hard to start drawing lines. Just best for everything to just limit the whole subject or just keep it down. I saw that post a while ago, and since it was advice for a young person, left it. One of the MODS might have closed it to not get it out of hand.

Like I said, there just isn't a place here for Firearms and all the issues associated with them...

m
      Really? That's a personal opinion isn't it?

Firearms, are a hobby... just like fish or coral tanks.

I think discussing a hobby, is a good thing. Whether it's underwater basket weaving... or, firearms. Of coarse, one is easier to be 'outside the law' then the other... but, as long as the discussions are positive (per SDReefs motto), what's the issue with firearms?

What "issues" are associated with them that you speak of directly... or that you are speaking of, to not support them on this site?

... Mike, I'm truly surprised at the take on this subject. And more so, that your not aware of why the original thread was locked.

I'd love to be able to openly discuss my firearm collection with someone getting into the hobby, or for those already in the hobby. It's like anything else.... a great sport, that the whole family can enjoy (and as I've done for 40 something years, with my family and our families friends).

Bananahands is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I have to second the question, what "issues" are you speaking of?

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Re: "buying a used handgun" thread.... closed?

I own fire arms and I closed it. I discuss guns on the site but never about using them on people which is where that thread was going. His questions were answered and the thread served its purpose. It wasn't deleted and therefore can still be accessed. There are plenty of firearm forums you can pick the conversation up in.

Jeff
      San Diego Reefs Moderator
      Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

"Mike, I'm truly surprised at the take on this subject. And more so, that your not aware of why the original thread was locked."

We will discuss this internally and respond later today on this. Johnny, I am not on this site 7/24 and am not notified of every change, nor should I. If a MOD choses to take an action we support that. Every action is not perm, they can always be reversed.

Firearms sales were banned from this site on day one. If its not obvious to you why, let me explain it to you.

1) "Joe Unknown" comes on this site. He is anonymous, he uses the name "ReeferGuy".

2) "ReeferGuy" puts up a .38 caliber police revolver for sale here on SDReefs in the "Non-Reef items for sale forum".

3) "BobtheReefer" see the post and meets with "ReeferGuy" and buys the gun.

4) Neither of them follow the law or even if they do (meet in a local gun shop, do the wait period, etc) "ReeferGuy" is now the owner of the pistol.

5) "ReeferGuy" has a bad day and there is an incident where that gun is used. The gun is traced back to being purchased on a Local San Diego Saltwater Reef Aquarium Hobbyist Website in the news. That is not the type of publicity anyone wants.

Now how do you mitigate that risk. Avoidance, not deflection. I own several guns and support the right to do so. We all decided that this just isn't the place and don't want to manage around all those issues associated. There are plenty of gun and hunting places to openly discuss that managed by experts.

In reference to the other post, about the young cub asking about buying a gun. That was an instance of leveraging the site users to bring good advice to someone asking and IMHO that post should not have been deleted or closed.
      Last edited by Yolo; 08-24-2012 at 08:56 AM.
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

After reading this thread again, after coffee, I don't have a personal issue with Guns overall. Just need to be clear in the terms and conditions, use agreement, that any mention of physical harm, purchase of item for threat, or personal threats when any weapons are discussed that all technical information will be collected and that information reported.

We all agree that buying and selling of firearms are not supported here, but the overall discussion of Firearms should be allowed.

People get ornery at night sometimes and are not clear on what they are saying or in this case, writing. At the end of the day, when in print, we are all held accountable for what we put up on the internet one time or another.

m
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

I am:
      Geeky

We will discuss this internally and respond later today on this. Johnny, I am not on this site 7/24 and am not notified of every change, nor should I. If a MOD choses to take an action we support that. Every action is not perm, they can always be reversed.

Firearms sales were banned from this site on day one. If its not obvious to you why, let me explain it to you

There are plenty of gun and hunting places to openly discuss that managed by experts.

In reference to the other post, about the young cub asking about buying a gun. That was an instance of leveraging the site users to bring good advice to someone asking and IMHO that post should not have been deleted or closed.
      Thanks Mike... I'm sure your aware, there was no discussion or commentary about "Firearm Sales" on SDReefs. Of coarse, there's a strict law about private party sales, and I understand ALL risks associated with posting sales of firearms. But that wasn't the inital reason for the posts on firearms.

I also know of many open forums on gun discussion, and a great classified style listing for firearms. But, that doesn't mean the OP of the thread does. More or less, seems he's reaching out to the very people he has a friendship with... a cyber trust if you will. Asking your fellow reefers about buying a gun, is simply that... as I see you now understand where it was coming from.

However, the thread still remains closed to any further discussion.

After reading this thread again, after coffee, I don't have a personal issue with Guns overall. Just need to be clear in the terms and conditions, use agreement, that any mention of physical harm, purchase of item for threat, or personal threats when any weapons are discussed that all technical information will be collected and that information reported.

We all agree that buying and selling of firearms are not supported here, but the overall discussion of Firearms should be allowed.

People get ornery at night sometimes and are not clear on what they are saying or in this case, writing. At the end of the day, when in print, we are all held accountable for what we put up on the internet one time or another.

m
      Great info right there.

And glad to see you post an answer we ALL can understand, and abide by!!

Jarederaj is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Thanks Johnny for making this thread, i was wondering the same thing when it closed but didnt bother making a new thread because I already got my answer

But considering I was trying to edicate myself with people on here giving me straight up answers rather than mixed up ones i was finding on google, it seems like it wouldnt have gotten closed..

PS.. Im on my phone so I just scanned a couple things you gus said so im not sure exactly what you guys were saying

Jarederaj is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Plus I posed it in the Lounge section.. What does the discription of the lounge section say?..

"general non reef discussion, on any subject".. Etc..

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Thread is open, slight cautionary action on the part of one of our MODS who is and always will act in best interest of the Site and it's members. We support the moderators on all decisions as they are the ones donating their time to keep an eye on things during certain time periods. There is a reason you don't see much Spam. It gets caught fast.

Good to have this dialogue so everyone has some sort of perspective as to why things happen. No worries. As long as we are all communicating thats kool. There is a stickey in the For Sale section. I will update the one for the lounge as well so we have updated Guidelines.

m
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

Goldfish World is offline Registered
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

This is Jojo aka Coral Diver, I hate to disagree with you Johnny but firearms are not a hobby but a responsibility, it's a mean of depending your property, life and your family but I agree with you about sharing info, awareness, education and most of all RESPONSIBILITY in a proffer setting just my opinion.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfish World View Post
      This is Jojo aka Coral Diver, I hate to disagree with you Johnny but firearms are not a hobby but a responsibility, it's a mean of depending your property, life and your family but I agree with you about sharing info, awareness, education and most of all RESPONSIBILITY in a proffer setting just my opinion.
      This isn't relevant to THIS thread.... and is solely an opinion.
      Best to PM me, if your directing your opinion to me (as it sounds like you are). Keep the thread aligned with the original post and discussion.

To clarify... the act of "shooting" a firearm, is a hobby. Gun collecting is a hobby. There's sports all over the US (and world) that involve firearms, and would be considered a sporting hobby to the masses. Owning antique or nostalgic firearms, would NOT be considered something worthy of defending and don't fall into what your trying to convey. Pure and simple... firearms are a hobby. The responsibility of owning them... are just the same as any hobby requiring common sense, and knowing right from wrong.

Same with knives.... right?! (oh sorry... that's rhetorical)

I am:
      Geeky

Jared...
      Looks like your too young to "own" a firearm. There's always BB guns.

But, also... good to get involved now. Learn firearm safety, take a class, go to a shooting range... get familiar.

By the time your of legal age, you'll be ready to OWN a firearm!!

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Not at all against firearms, in fact I am originally from Montana and grew up shootin stuff. My question is althought there is nothing wrong with the OP posting a question about buying a firearm, much applause to you about asking the question before jumping into something the could be possibly illegal, but isn't there firearms forums just like there is for about everything else. I would like to see what would happen if you were on a firearm site and posted a question about reefing, that could potentially be some comedy right there. Once again there wasn't anything wrong with the OP intentions but one of the MODS felt that it was going in possibly a very negative direction and rather then do damage control once it happened he decided to remove the potential for that to happen at all. This new management is sure on the ball and although some of us might not agree with how they are running the site I however enjoy being on the site much more which is why I am a paying member again, great job guys.

Closed Thread

Thread Information