• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Neptune Apex controller vs. RKE vs. RKL.

Vince16 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Neptune Apex controller vs. RKE vs. RKL.

So I've been reading up on these three controllers for the past two weeks and can't figure out which one to pick so I thought I would ask the forum what they thought and for some product reviews on anyone who has used these one of these controllers personally.

Vince.

rudeanduncouth is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

What do you want your controller to do? How user friendly do you want it to be? Is price a factor? Do you want web access? Which Apex controller are you interested? Different controllers work well for different people.

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

The Apex from what I've read and heard from other reefers is a superior product. Like most people it was out of my price range so I went with a Reef Keeper. I started with the Lite but have quickly outgrown it and am upgrading my head unit to the Elite. I like that you can add modules as you need them or can afford them with the Reef Keeper. So far I haven't found anything wrong with the Reef Keeper and it is handling all my needs with no trouble. Aside from poor directions it's been a great experience. I personally feel like it's great value for the money and feel comfortable recommending the Digital Aquatics products.

Jeff
      San Diego Reefs Moderator
      Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

x3thelast is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i like digital aquatics' customer support. ill get email replies within the hour most of the time.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm have x3 165w 55 led pendants that I want to run off of my controller. I want to be able to fade in to mimic sunrise and fade out to mimic sunset. All three pendants are dimmable. I also want to connect my return pump Calc and Alk dosing pumps, Skimmer, and refuge supply pump to my controller. Not sure if I will add any other equipment later down the road so the system has to be expandable. Also I want to be able to hook the system up to my computer to program all my settings that way, preferably wireless. Money isn't really a concern, you get what you pay for. Plus I want this controller to be the only one I buy.

Vince

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

With all you want to do, you'll need to get the Reef Keeper Elite Net. The Lite only allows 4 modules. I really do think you'll be happy with the Reef Keeper. I'm pretty picky about what I use on my tank and I've been very happy. That being said, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Apex too. I'm pretty sure you can't really go wrong.

I'm not sure about the whole LED thing. You should shot DaveMorris a PM. He does BETA testing for them. I have my dosing pumps hooked up it was pretty simple once I found directions.
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince16 View Post
      Also I want to be able to hook the system up to my computer to program all my settings that way, preferably wireless.
      This requirement right here is an indication that an Apex is probably a better for for you. Management of the Apex is done via web browser.... all three Apex family models come with networking built in. The RKE/L requires an extra module, the NET module. The RK NET modules only add a limited network capability... primarily email alerts, RSS feed, and the ability to turn on/off outlets. You cannot program an RK via the NET module. Full management of the RKE/RKL using a computer requires a USB connection between the computer running Windows (Mac is not supported, unless you run Windows in a Fusion or Parallels virtual machine inside Mac/OS). There are ways to make a wireless USB connection, but it's not without extra complexity and cost.

The Apex family does have a steeper learning curve than the RK models.

If you use an iPhone or iPad, the Apex app is awesome!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I am running an IMAC at home so it would need to be compatable with Mac/OS software. It sounds like the APEX is more user friendly threw computer software then the RKE. Does the APEX allow me to ramp up and ramp down my LED's?

Vince.

baldbean is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vince16 View Post
      I am running an IMAC at home so it would need to be compatable with Mac/OS software. It sounds like the APEX is more user friendly threw computer software then the RKE. Does the APEX allow me to ramp up and ramp down my LED's?

Vince.
      I run an Apex Jr on my cube and access it via the Safari web browser on my iMac. The controller is connected to my wireless router. I also have it set up so I can look at my tank status on my iPhone wherever I am at. The same app I use is also available on Android. There is also a GUI based program that lets you update the controller firmware. Just start the program and it detects your controller on its own.

I have never used an RKE/RKL so I cannot comment on that. One thing I wonder about it is if you can add your own code to the existing programs. For example with my Apex, I added a line to the ATO code to not run the ATO if the salinity is below a specific value. Writing Apex code is not that hard either. If you know simple logic you are set.

I suggest you download the user manual from the Apex site and just sift through it. I'm sure it will tell you exactly what you need to know.

http://www.neptunesys.com/APEX-20104034_WEB.pdf

There is a section labeled "Ramp Profile Type" and it mentions being able to ramp up LEDs.

EDIT: There is also an "unoffical" guide that goes into more detail. I can't seem to find it right now.
      Last edited by baldbean; 07-17-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

What brand/model are the LED pendants? As long as the driver accepts 0-10VDC dimming control, yes, the Apex will be able to dim them using ramps and other lighting control, such as weather profiles to simulate cloudy periods, and with some LEDs systems, it can do lightning effects. The Apex has the necessary ports built in (4 of them) With the Apex Lite and Apex Jr, you'd need the Variable Speed/Dmming Module (VDM)
      Last edited by RussM; 07-17-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

RussM is a controller master. He knows what's up!
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by baldbean View Post
      There is also an "unoffical" guide that goes into more detail. I can't seem to find it right now.
      The site that hosts it is really slow at times, and was offline part of yesterday. It's back up now: http://reeftech.webs.com/

sniper5431 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I love my Apex Neptune. The web module is wonderful.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So after reviewing the users manual on all three controllers and actually getting to play with the RKE and the RKL it seems like the APEX Basic controller is going to be the winner.

THanks for all the advice guys it saved me alot of headache and helped saved the wallet.

Vince

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Do you want to monitor pH, ORP, or salinity? You listed 5 various pumps plus your 3 light fixtures... that's 6-8 outlets required. If by "Apex Basic", you mean Apex Jr (which comes with 4 outlets), then you will need another EnergyBar4 or EnergyBar8. If you clarify and go into more detail about what you want to do, I can help you pick the most suitable of the 3 Apex models so you get the most bang for your bucks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information