+ Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SanDiegoReefs tank of the quarter

h20poloman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: I'd rather be reefing than
      working

I am:
      Tired

I volunteered to take the pics for this and did shoot Johnny's tank, however, the write up/specs are a responsibility of the reefer who wins. I'm still willing to take photos of the winners set up.
      187G Reef Savvy 60x30x24

00/0Feedback

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

I know when Chad had seareef up and running there was questionnaire that the winner filled out, not sure if he still has the template for that or not. I can dig around and see if I could find something.

jada1 is offline SDMAS STAFF
      My status is: chill

I am:
      Crazy

Apparently we have a winner already whatever quarter this was..a new one should be started...
      My build in progress
      125gallon Leemar rimless 48x30x20 starphire, 48 Ati Hybrid, Ghl /Apex dos, powered by an Apex, ecotech, tunze for flow,
      Custom sump made by me.
      http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...ew-Beginning.-.

Vince is offline Site Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Danny if you are interested in heading up the project I can make that happen---lmk---V

jada1 is offline SDMAS STAFF
      My status is: chill

I am:
      Crazy

Sure but Marlin can take the pics. .of the winner..unless u want a blue pictures. .lol
      My build in progress
      125gallon Leemar rimless 48x30x20 starphire, 48 Ati Hybrid, Ghl /Apex dos, powered by an Apex, ecotech, tunze for flow,
      Custom sump made by me.
      http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...ew-Beginning.-.

Sun&Ocean is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sure, we should keep this going! I am sure inspired by all the TOTM threads from RC. I am sure we can honor and inspire a lot of folks during this process.

Duke4130 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If Tank of the Month is too much of a hassle due to everyones busy schedules we should try Tank of the Quarter so every couple of months there can be a new system up.

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

We've tried this and tried this and tried this. We've had trouble mainly with the tank owner and the photographer getting on the same page to set up a time for the photos be taken. I'd like to see this keep going as well. Are there any photographers out there that would be willing to donate a few hours every 4 months to take pics? If you don't want to go through the trouble of photo editing, I can do that myself.
      Last edited by specvjeff; 09-26-2013 at 05:07 PM.
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

Duke4130 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey I am available after 6pm on the week days and all times on the weekend if you want to nominate me!!!!! Lol

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

The biggest problem I ran into when I was doing this a hundred years ago was actually with the tank owner giving me the line that "my tank isn't good enough" or "my tank is in bad shape right now". I tried to point out that their tank was nominated by people who have seen it and were impressed. The opinion of the reefing community was given no weight at all. For this to work I see at least two things that must happen to be successful:

1. Anybody who is nominated needs to speak up early if they want their tank to be taken off the list. If not, then you should make a real, concentrated effort to provide the data on the tank and a time to have shots taken of the tank. People have blessed you with the appreciation of the hard work, long hours, dedication and tons of money that you have put into your tank. Show some appreciation the other way and make it a point to do your part to get the photos and write up posted as quickly as possible. If you are busy with work or family or you are just a procrastinator and don't feel you can make it a priority, then remove your tank from consideration.

2. Anybody offering up their services to take photos of the winner's tank needs to show the same sort of commitment being asked of the tank owner in number one above. Don't volunteer to take photos and then be the one that can't make the appointment to shoot the tank for weeks on end. Perhaps if we have three or four people willing to shoot, then the winner can post a date and time that works best for them and then whichever photog thats available can go and shoot it.

Bottom line is this...for this to work the process must be quick. If nominations are taken for a month and a poll is put up to vote, it should be for a week at the most. I also think the votes should be kept from public view. (not sure if the software supports that) Seeing how voting is going often skews the end result. Let people vote blindly and then announce the winner WHEN THE THREAD ON THEIR TANK IS POSTED! Nobody knows who the RC tank of the Month is until it is posted with the write up and pics and it should work the same here. Its a great way to do it. Once the winner is determined, they should be notified and it should take no longer than a week to get the winner's tank thread done and announced. Very few of us would have a problem giving up an hour to have someone shoot pics of the tank with a weeks notice. Dragging the process out week after week will only make this project fail once again. I've done it before, know exactly what kind of effort it takes to do it, and I really think the process needs to be streamlined to be consistent.

I would love to see this get moving. Doing it quarterly is probably a good way to start and if it takes off and a good system gets rolling then perhaps it can become a monthly thing.
      Last edited by DaveMorris; 09-26-2013 at 05:34 PM.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

I don't think there is an option to make the poll results private and viewed by only one or two people. Perhaps when we go to the newest version of Vbulletin that will be an option. The only other thing I can think of is to use at outside polling service.
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

Sun&Ocean is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      The biggest problem I ran into when I was doing this a hundred years ago was actually with the tank owner giving me the line that "my tank isn't good enough" or "my tank is in bad shape right now". I tried to point out that their tank was nominated by people who have seen it and were impressed. The opinion of the reefing community was given no weight at all. For this to work I see at least two things that must happen to be successful:

1. Anybody who is nominated needs to speak up early if they want their tank to be taken off the list. If not, then you should make a real, concentrated effort to provide the data on the tank and a time to have shots taken of the tank. People have blessed you with the appreciation of the hard work, long hours, dedication and tons of money that you have put into your tank. Show some appreciation the other way and make it a point to do your part to get the photos and write up posted as quickly as possible. If you are busy with work or family or you are just a procrastinator and don't feel you can make it a priority, then remove your tank from consideration.

2. Anybody offering up their services to take photos of the winner's tank needs to show the same sort of commitment being asked of the tank owner in number one above. Don't volunteer to take photos and then be the one that can't make the appointment to shoot the tank for weeks on end. Perhaps if we have three or four people willing to shoot, then the winner can post a date and time that works best for them and then whichever photog thats available can go and shoot it.

Bottom line is this...for this to work the process must be quick. If nominations are taken for a month and a poll is put up to vote, it should be for a week at the most. I also think the votes should be kept from public view. (not sure if the software supports that) Seeing how voting is going often skews the end result. Let people vote blindly and then announce the winner WHEN THE THREAD ON THEIR TANK IS POSTED! Nobody knows who the RC tank of the Month is until it is posted with the write up and pics and it should work the same here. Its a great way to do it. Once the winner is determined, they should be notified and it should take no longer than a week to get the winner's tank thread done and announced. Very few of us would have a problem giving up an hour to have someone shoot pics of the tank with a weeks notice. Dragging the process out week after week will only make this project fail once again. I've done it before, know exactly what kind of effort it takes to do it, and I really think the process needs to be streamlined to be consistent.

I would love to see this get moving. Doing it quarterly is probably a good way to start and if it takes off and a good system gets rolling then perhaps it can become a monthly thing.
      +1, lets get this going...May be we can up the stakes little high.
      May be we can collect nomination before poll, so folks who have interest to showcase their tank will raise up, concealed/ much awaited results are definitely cool!
      Just my $0.02

Jreed983 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Maybe an account could be set up to post the nominees so not everybody could post to the thread. If anybody wants to nominate a tank they could pm the nomination.

Then once all the nominees are announced, the thread is locked so nobody can post in the thread and people could pm there vote. It would then be limited to whoever controlled the posting account or mods.

Just an idea. Would like to see this work out.

Sent using tapatalk4 from my GS III

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by h20poloman View Post
      I volunteered to take the pics for this and did shoot Johnny's tank, however, the write up/specs are a responsibility of the reefer who wins. I'm still willing to take photos of the winners set up.
      ... you still those pics???

Here's what my tank looks like now;

I sold ALL the livestock today, and it's drained and empty.
      After $750 month SDGE bills (and I don't have A/C), and food/supplements, and not enjoying it as of late... it's nice to not hear any pumps, gurgling and being stress free.

But, I'd love a copy of all those pictures you took to add to my 'collection'.

aztec80 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 200 gallon

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Are you sell the tank and equipment?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information