• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Corals getting eaten?brittle worms and aptesia

ajn81 is offline Registered User
      My status is: ....

I am:
      Cool

As for bristle worms, just leave them alone, they are great detrivores in an aquarium and as other have pointed out, will serve as part of your cleanup crew. (so don't bother with the arrow crab).

For aiptasia, the best method to rid them in a tank that size would be peppermint shrimp. Not sure they would get along with a cleaner shrimp though.
      [FONT=arial][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?78565-130-Gallon-Reef-in-the-Babies-Room%21&highlight="][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=RoyalBlue]130 Gallon Lagoon in the baby's room.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL]
      [URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49296"][COLOR=Green]9 gal Fresh Water Planted.[/COLOR][/URL]
      [URL="http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?86273-My-Work-Desktop-Nano-FWP"][COLOR=#ff8c00]2 gal Fluval SPEC Desktop Planted Tank.[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
      [URL="http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?55354-Recent-Acrylic-Projects"][COLOR=#a52a2a]Acrylic Projects[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

For those people that get peppermint shrimp for aptasia, they do work well but after time they tend to go after coral. There was a thread on another site that a guy actually seen his peppermint's eating his acans and then a couple of months after I read that I seen mine munching on them, out they went. A copperband butterfly also will eat aptasia and is much more eye appealing then a peppermint shrimp. Problem is they tend to be very hard to get acclimated to frozen or prepared food and often wither away after the aptasia are gone.

bradreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

arrow crabs have there own set of possible problems like stated so i would look into that prior to buying one.

Aiptasia -
      you can use chemicals- be carful and go slow cause it will effect the tank(somewhat effective
      shock them- ok but they will most likely come back
      peppermint shrimp- works some times. some times it doesn't, as you read above risk with coral
      Berghia nudi's- best method IMO but are hard to get around here from what I have heard.
      other fish- hit or miss and then other possible problems with the specific fish.

Mrgunz1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Chilling

I am:
      Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
      becareful with that arrow crab. He will eat all the little feather dusters, stomatellas, and other little snails.
      I don't have any feather dusters i only have astrea snails

I am:
      Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by jason142 View Post
      For those people that get peppermint shrimp for aptasia, they do work well but after time they tend to go after coral. There was a thread on another site that a guy actually seen his peppermint's eating his acans and then a couple of months after I read that I seen mine munching on them, out they went. A copperband butterfly also will eat aptasia and is much more eye appealing then a peppermint shrimp. Problem is they tend to be very hard to get acclimated to frozen or prepared food and often wither away after the aptasia are gone.
      Very good to know, so pretty much if i use the peppermint ill have to get rid of them as soon as the aptesia goes away

Yolo is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Do a night check on your tank...hit it with a flashlight after a period of solid darkness. You might see a hitchhiker crab or so. Bristleworms should not be a problem, my tank is full of them, come out at night, clean up crew. Peps good for aptasia, I have 7 along with 2 cleaner shrimp in a 120g cube. Check your feeding maybe its a bit light? Causing things to scavange around more? eating corals?

Just some thoughts..

m
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

I really love arguing with strangers on the internet...NOT...be cool."
      "I was Yolo before it got weird."
      http://www.sandiegofishingclub.com

I am:
      Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Yolo View Post
      Do a night check on your tank...hit it with a flashlight after a period of solid darkness. You might see a hitchhiker crab or so. Bristleworms should not be a problem, my tank is full of them, come out at night, clean up crew. Peps good for aptasia, I have 7 along with 2 cleaner shrimp in a 120g cube. Check your feeding maybe its a bit light? Causing things to scavange around more? eating corals?

Just some thoughts..

m
      That might also be it i dont feed a lot i feed once maybe twice a day, i look in there at night i dont see any crabs that werent already there but i do have an erchin that hitchhiked and a bunch of little shrimp looking critters and some other creepy crawlly looking things and two small tan looking starfish that i have no idea where they came from.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information