My status is: Never doubt that a small group
      of thoughtful, committed
      citizens can change the world;
      indeed, it's the only thing
      that ever has.

I am:
      Tired

Dumpster Diving

So I read a comment from Peter (SDGUY) on FB yesterday about dumpster diving and I'm sure we probably all have done it a few times in our lives before so no worries. What is the most important thing that you had to dumpster dive for in your past and what is the most insignificant thing that you have also dumpster dived for ?

The most important thing that made me take the jump was when my Movado slipped off as I was dumping freshly cut grass. Smelled like grass for a hot one...

The most insignificant thing that I had to jump for was a lighter back in broke college days, worth it? heck no but you got to do what you got to do right... lol
      Attentively,

Ron Luong

SDR Marketing Director / SDMAS Board of Directors

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Investing in our SDR Community www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?89507-SanDiegoReefs.com-Giving-back-to-our-community

My Crazy Obsession
      www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?96495-Xo-signature-experience-s-obsession-continues

Show Some Love
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?75529-XO-PRESENTS-feedback

Who Got Tats? wwwhttp://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...-Off-Your-Tats.

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Lost rent money order,tore apart a full apt complex dumpster, couldn't find it! Jumped out of dumpster, looked down and it was on the ground in front of the dumpster mashed into the asphalt! they accepted it so all was well.

BigAir is offline Registered User
      My status is: In pain

I am:
      Piratey

Food was the most important thing I have had to dive for. There was a time when we were pretty close to homeless.
      Least important, pretty much all else that I have gone dumpster diving for.

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Haha funny thread Ron!

Let's see... I have gone dumpster-diving for:

- Live rock rubble
      - scrap carpet to make a cat-scratcher-tower
      - a set of drinking glasses
      - plywood to build a fort (I was 10 or 11!)
      - two acrylic display tanks that a pet store threw away

And I'm pretty sure the list is longer than that! Haha!
      [FONT="tahoma"][U][B][SIZE="4"]LOTSA FISHIES Aquarium Service[/SIZE][/B][/U]

[SIZE="3"][I]Meeting [B]ALL [/B]your aquatic needs: Tank-Setups, Regular Servicing & Maintenance, Consultations and Sales of Equipment,
      Supplies and Livestock with prices that will keep you returning for more![/I][/SIZE]

Chris H. 760-803-9447
      [SIZE="3"][U][B][url]www.lotsafishies.com[/url][/B][/U][/SIZE][/FONT]

[b][url="YOURTHREADURLHERE"][color="Lime"]77[/color]/[color="Yellow"]1[/color]/[color="Red"]2[/color] Feedback[/url][/b]

Batman is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Me and a few friends from high school used to hit the Black Flys and Etnies warehouse in up in Costa Mesa. We got hundreds of pairs of perfectly good sun glasses and shoes. Man............... that takes me back!
      OK brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Now let's get this over with so I can get back to killing you with beer

anothereefer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

When I was you younger? MAN!!!..just about anything that was cool to play with that wasn't organic and decaying!!..lol...the latest one was same thing as Chris..but they were glass tanks and bird cages. Mostly cause ai used to be a "pet products manager" at pet smart and they use to throw away all kinds of still useful goods?..food and all!!..the food I'd take as well and donate to my local humane society in springvalley..

Mario is offline Member
      My status is: SDR MEMBERS ONLY JACKET

I am:
      Set you mood here...

girls.....

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

I've had to go after prescription medication twice because my wife accidentally tossed it twice! You'd think after how mad I was the first time she would have been more careful!
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

I usually find stuff that people take out as trash. Found some patio chairs, nice garage cabinets, speakers, and a bag of socks, but they werent my size so I went to put them back
      Last edited by BajaReefs; 06-13-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: just kidding on the socks...

Jocecazalot is offline Registered User
      My status is: I'm hungry. Feed me!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I found one of those antique desks when I was in elementary school. I wanted it so badly I ran home and told my dad to help me get it. After my father and I refurnished it, my grandfather said it was over 150 years old. I still have it to this day. That was like 18 years ago.

I live dumpster diving, I think it gives me a thrill haha.

Isaacm is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I work in maintenance and have to clean around the dumpsters got about 7 at my work and people through good stuff away newest item I found is a ihome. Works great just missin knobs for volume. Always find vacuums just need to be cleaned or new belt. Find all kinds of useful stuff I usually keep what I need and sell rest at swap meet. I usetogo behind big 5 when in middle school and get paintball gun stuff. Dumpsters are amazing sometimes.

One mans trash is another mans treasure

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

A friend of mine up in Reno accidentally threw out her Rolex with her junk mail. Didn't realize it until after the dumpsters had already been emptied. She spent all day at the dump and actually found it!

In case anyone wonders, yes, I did in fact retrieve my Magnavore algae magnet during my dive
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by BigAir View Post
      Food was the most important thing I have had to dive for. There was a time when we were pretty close to homeless.
      Least important, pretty much all else that I have gone dumpster diving for.
      That hits home right there... rough times. I hope, since your on this site... it all changed for the better?!

And who hasn't got a gem from a dumpster dive?!
      ... I remember getting a beat up bicycle when I was 9 or so, refurb'ing it back to great shape and riding it.
      ... or the KISS double album "Alive" I found (rel. date of 1975). I think that was my highlight, however it was missing the free poster!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/aquariumsmile1-1.gif[/IMG]
      [SIZE=4][URL="http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?79260-JAT-s-240-Gallon-Build..."]240Gal Reef Display with 135gal Sump, 30gal fuge[/URL] and (2) 25Gal Frag tanks :: 67Gal Quarantine[/SIZE]

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I helped a colleague go diving at a Mexican fast food joint, looking for the temporary $1000 dental bridge he'd wrapped in a napkin and sat on the tray while we were eating lunch. We both had to go back to our hotel rooms and shower/change clothes before returning to our client site.

BigAir is offline Registered User
      My status is: In pain

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      That hits home right there... rough times. I hope, since your on this site... it all changed for the better?!

And who hasn't got a gem from a dumpster dive?!
      ... I remember getting a beat up bicycle when I was 9 or so, refurb'ing it back to great shape and riding it.
      ... or the KISS double album "Alive" I found (rel. date of 1975). I think that was my highlight, however it was missing the free poster!
      Yup, that was a long time ago. All good now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information