• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: scripps water for SPS

Vince is offline Site Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

I used Scripps for years with sps and lps. Never had and issue even when it rained. I do a 10 gallon water change every week on a 90 gallon. Recently switched to using red sea pro in hopes of dosing less. So far use about half the 2-part i was using with Scripps, no insane growth or color change. Nothing wrong with Scripps just have to work a little harder to maintain your levels.

luv4qt1004 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

yeah nobody is bashing on scripps water. just explaining that its low on mag cal and alk and sps wants stability so you have to dose.

Vince is offline Site Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by luv4qt1004 View Post
      yeah nobody is bashing on scripps water. just explaining that its low on mag cal and alk and sps wants stability so you have to dose.

+1....

bradreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

the numbers I have seen are exceptable and you should be dosing either way. I am going to test the phosphates and if they are exceptable then I don't see adding 2 part to the water prior to water changes. If the phosphates aren't High then I can't imagine many other real issues. I used instant ocean for years and the ca mag and alk aren't ideal either.

fresh2120 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have used both, mixed and nsw. I mix it my self now.. And for what someone posted at the top this water is not the same as the water where corals grow. There are a lot of things that go into a reef growing not just the temp, this water is nuetriances deprived. That is why there isn't a reef going off our coast. Maybe more down towards mexico.

Jmo

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Actually the reason don't have coral reefs here is almost completely due to the much lower average temp, also, I'm no expert but I believe our colder waters are more nutrient rich than in then tropics.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i would think there are more nutrients in this water which is not a good thing since it feeds the kelp forest. I am not a big believer in adding in extra stuff like "trace elements". I don't like reef crystals because of some of the extra stuff they add to the mix. while there might not be stony corals(due to temp) there are some things that need calcium and alk such as clams. barnicles, ect.

I wouldn't say this water is nutrient deprived but chemically deprived. considering the ca, alk and mag are on the lower end of acceptable.

fresh2120 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

There's a guy who grows his reef at 55f and there are reefs in the artic.... Things will grow regardless to temp. But they can't grow if there's nothing to feed them....

Either way
      DGAF

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Bogg View Post
      To each is own, whatever you choose that fits your needs go for it.

IMO god or mother nature does not have Nsw all wrong ...........
      Two of the most accurate statements in this thread (IMHO).

... without anyone accurately measuring the elements in question, or the levels of nutrients... how can ANYONE make such statements? Simply measuring phosphates or whatever won't tell you much about the water itself. Not with our off-the-shelf kits anyway.

I've been using SCRIPPS for 20yrs. I'd never not use it. In fact, when it was down for those months... we went and pumped water directly out of a marina and got the cleanest most clear NSW I've ever seen. With our off-the-shelf test kits, it was near perfect. Why use anything else?

If you need water that is "stable" or as close to what you have before a water change... then, the answer is to do less water in the change, and do it more frequently. An easy solution to the issue(s) of stability.

I do a 180gallon water swap (I won't call it "change" due to my procedure) every 4 months in my 240gallon. It takes no more then an hour (once I have the water at home, and warmed up over night). You'd think it'd be a shock to my livestock.... well, no ill-effects as of yet. Just plenty of growth!

Aaron is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If I am doing fish only...can I use scripps water and not add nutrients? Magnesium, calcium, etc will only have an effect on corals right? Not the fish..?

h20poloman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: I'd rather be reefing than
      working

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by ambixel View Post
      If I am doing fish only...can I use scripps water and not add nutrients? Magnesium, calcium, etc will only have an effect on corals right? Not the fish..?
      You'd be fine - I'd just recommend that you still make sure top off with RO/DI water primarily to keep your salinity level in check.
      187G Reef Savvy 60x30x24

00/0Feedback

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ambixel View Post
      The levels are actually not that bad. they are just on the low side off acceptable for coral. It is just that if you didn't add anything to it the corals would suck the calcium out of the water quickly.

Radman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Need admin to contact me

I am:
      Crazy

I've been using Scripps... with primarily SPS and Zoas... I've not had a real problem... a couple times (in the last two years) I've ended up with an Algae bloom for a couple days, which might mean extra phosphates... but that usually settles down in a couple days...

The couple times I tested NSW from Sripps... CA was in the 380 range... so I usually add a little, along with Alk and Mg but then every Saltwater reef system has to add CA or continously keep changing water... I also use a Kalk Stirrer, and add Bionic now and then.... along with Mg... keeping params stable...

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by h20poloman View Post
      you'd be fine - i'd just recommend that you still make sure top off with ro/di water primarily to keep your salinity level in check.
      ditto

Aaron is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ok cool. Im gonna try it out

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information