• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Can someone point me in the right direction?

anothereefer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I tried a search here as well but nothing came up.I've been trying to google comparisons for light fixtures and good affordable options? All the ones I keep finding don't include LEDs? DrFosters has a good write up but it's just missing LEDs. After seeing Allan12's tank It made me jealous as hell!..lol. I know my lights are good now but I know I can definitely get something better? My light now is a Coralife 65x2 with 2 moonlights. I know it's sorta personal preference. Any suggestions and what not would be awesome!! TIA!!

ed

Mario is offline Member
      My status is: SDR MEMBERS ONLY JACKET

I am:
      Set you mood here...

what kind of tank? f/o? reef? mixed? sps dominated? whats your budget? what are the dims?

rman is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i think i read somewhere that you have a 36" wide tank....

Right now I have LEDs from JohnnyAirTime on my 36" Wide. It's not the best coverage, but I don't have too much on my outer edges. It'll be perfect on my 24" wide tank.

Out of all the different LEDs, group buys, etc., I think Johnny's got the best value out there. I was set on DIY'ing a fixture but I went with Johnny's...

sherrerb is offline Registered User
      My status is: Blah Blah Blah

I am:
      Tired

There are a couple group buys on sdreefs for 120 and 165 w led setups at a pretty good price. Ive had led's, t5's and mh's. Ill never leave led's unless they come out with natural sunlight without cutting a hole in your roof to get it. But it would help to get your price range and setup like Mario said.

Mario is offline Member
      My status is: SDR MEMBERS ONLY JACKET

I am:
      Set you mood here...

just put the down payment for the ai vega's!!!!!!!!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

it's a 39g tank I have about 35lbs of LR. I have the LR piled up just a little past half way up the tank. It will be a mixed tank but only plan on getting 5 fish if that?. The tank is 36" wide maybe 24" tall and 12 deep? I don't know the exact cause I can't measure right at the moment. As it sits now. I just have a 2" RBTA, bout the same size maybe a tad bigger frog spawn, a YWM that's 1.5" long, a pistol that's a half inch bigger than the YWM and a very small CUC force. 5 hermits an emerald a good size turbo so he won't get eaten and a Zebra hermit. Oh and a frag rock of shrooms that are splitting every week. Budget..$200-260 right off the bat! But payment plans or laws ways (lol) I can do as well. Ido wanna get more corals in my tank. But right now not too sure which ones to get? I would also like to get maybe 3-4 more fish. I'd love to get the smallest single or pair of percs. and then one or two more after that?. I do a weekly water change of 15-20gal if that's any help?..

rman is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

there are a few others on here selling similar fixtures for less. Dude believe me I will bargain for a pack of gum at Vons bro. But being able to go back to Clairemont for warranty work on the LED is what sold me, vs. sending it back to China.

I have bought a ton of stuff from China. It's typically cheap stuff so if I get screwed, I just forget about it. But $225 was more than I planned on spending, so I wanted the extra piece of mind of a local and reputable contact. He's developed relationships with the vendors and the authorize him to do the work. Plus he knows the product inside and out.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Tanks for the replies guys!! I know light is a very important part of a reef. I know LEDs are the shizz and all? Can I get by with say a new MH, T-5, PC etc?. I did look at the gb that LEON started. I'm not too worried about radiant heat as my house has AC. It really doesn't get hotter than 78. Tiles help alot!..lol Also I do run an open top. well screened top.

xL30NxCREATORX is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by anothereefer View Post
      Tanks for the replies guys!! I know light is a very important part of a reef. I know LEDs are the shizz and all? Can I get by with say a new MH, T-5, PC etc?. I did look at the gb that LEON started. I'm not too worried about radiant heat as my house has AC. It really doesn't get hotter than 78. Tiles help alot!..lol Also I do run an open top. well screened top.
      its not only the heat issues its the change in bulbs every year and the energy that MH uses which is a lot.. i would invest now and won't have to worry about it for many years, but its up to you and your budget of course.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by xL30NxCREATORX View Post
      its not only the heat issues its the change in bulbs every year and the energy that MH uses which is a lot.. i would invest now and won't have to worry about it for many years, but its up to you and your budget of course.
      yeah that is true..I did read about life span of the old school lights. Hmmm?..Well I might have to just jump on that GB of yours than Leon..oh man!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information