• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ai sol vs. Radion

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Ai sol vs. Radion

Thinking about upgrading, would like opinions/experiences with these systems negative and positive. Any info would be welcomed!
      Thanks for your time.

KorL is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I would get the AI sol. They cost almost half the price of a radion. If you buy used you can get 2 AI's for the price of one radion. I've never tried radions, but seriously can radion's be so much better that they cost twice as much? I don't think so.

surfnsd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have 2 AI Sol blues on my 120 and Ive been VERY happy with them. Playing around with the lights I got the perfect setup I wanted and all my SPS and LPS have been doing great. Ive never personally used the radions but IMO I see no difference between the 2, And I did some extensive research before I dropped the cash. I bought both of my Sol units new for $800 with the controller and rails. You can only buy 1 radion for that price. Ive heard a lot from other people that the radions are a lot more technical and advanced for the average hobbyist too.

jt_milstead is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: Tired of being let down by the
      Chargers

I am:
      Crying

I have 3 AI Sol - Super Blue fixtures on my 60X30X24 tank. I really like the light spread. I was equally impressed with the Radion, but was not going to spend that kind of money when i can get the equivalent at a way less price. Check out Bulk Reef Supply...
      http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ng-system.html
      J.T. Milstead
      "Play Today, Build Tomorrow, And Pray For The Rest"

Duke4130 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The radion hands down especially if you have the ecotech pumps. You just set it the way you want with your computer and just let it go. You never have to touch anything. The sun rise and sunset is cool too. I have one over a 75 semi cube and it is plenty, I have mixed lps and alot of sps

jt_milstead is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: Tired of being let down by the
      Chargers

I am:
      Crying

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4130 View Post
      The radion hands down especially if you have the ecotech pumps. You just set it the way you want with your computer and just let it go. You never have to touch anything. The sun rise and sunset is cool too. I have one over a 75 semi cube and it is plenty, I have mixed lps and alot of sps
      Im curious why you say hands down??? I set my controller, and have left mine alone...
      J.T. Milstead
      "Play Today, Build Tomorrow, And Pray For The Rest"

echoreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have 2 of the radions on my 120 gallon SPS tank. I also have 2 of the Ecotech MP40w so it is nice to have them all work together. I did a lot of research on both the AI Sol and Ecotech Radion. Reason I chose Radion is for the full color spectrum, the slick design, and upgrade ability. It's only been a month but so far so good.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Sound like a 10 listener poll on the DSC radio program! Interesting opinions, will stay tuned for more.

fresh2120 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Wait for the AI vega lights to come out...

YouTube them...

AI vega - 20 channel

reef hobby is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Never heard allot of good from the AI

uxdesigner is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I say you should DIY a fixture specific for your tank. Radions are expensive but extremely advanced technology built in and a bit more advanced than the Sol's. Thats where the premium price is validated. If your not going to make use of the technology (geeking out in front of your computer creating 1000's of color combos) I say DIY is the way to go. AIs are less expensive than radions but DIY is even less than AIs.

Keep I mind that it's the technology you are paying for since all units use the same Cree LEDs. You can actually build a DIY unit with the latest Cree XM-L LEDs that the new unreleased Vega's will use at 1/4 of the price.

Charolastra is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Radion for me, specially now that they announced at interzoo 2012 that they will be able to be controlled through ios or android wirelessly

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well I guess the better question we should ask you is what do u want to do with ur tank? Grow fast or get amazing coloring? There's Lot that plays into the lighting you should go with... Me I don't care about how fast it grows it just needs to look good....

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Fresh 2012, please enlighten me with all of your knowledge and experience with these two systems.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Lol there is so much to lighting! The sun is the hardest thing to replicate. I know that there are things that we fully do not understand.... One thing I have always wanted to know is with all these great light systems we can come out with why is it the only coraline algae color we can get in out tank is purple.... I know in Hawaii I saw a lot of yellow orange green.... Red! Lights are a huge issue. Sry that's my little rant about lights....

I have been in this hobby for 10 years I have seen a lot I worked at a lot of pet stores when I was in high school. I remember when vho and t-5 became a lot better... Also when LEDs came out...it really depends on what u want to do...the yellow white light that no one likes on there tank will give u amazing growth. Like some metal halide with a 10k bulb with grow sps great but it all looks crappy... LEDs will give u some great coloring.... Some people do get great growth with LEDs... I have.... And I have had awesome growth with mh but things didn't look great... This is all in my experience... Know I know people are going to read this and get so butt hurt about it. It sucks bc lights cost a lot but you just have to try and see what you like and what works best for you...
      I think when we start to mix and match lights like metal halides and LEDs getting the best of both words when can see great things all around... But there are lots of problems out there with that like LEDs can't handle high temps... Mh get really hot...
      Depending on where you live and ur set up just use the sun lol... By the way a lot of corals that came out of the ocean right away never look great.

I will say this along with this long a$$ post... THere is a light due to come out soon ,I hope , that looks like they cove all the corners of lighting... I haven't seen the full report on them yet but onces they come out I'm sure I will be all over it to find out more... These lights are the AI Vegas... Check out the YouTube leaked video and check out the site they show how you can set up the colors u want and what ur light specs will look like... Light the light color bar....check it out it's some cool stuff... I know it didn't help but there's something's to think about...

Btw what r u growing in ur tank or trying to show off....what r u going for in ur set up? Coloring or growth...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information