• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Our local news!

anothereefer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Our local news!

I know we have divers here on SDR..and damn good ones too..Just wanted to share this storie of a local who found the another local that was missing..
      http://kfmb.m0bl.net/r/118jqr
      Last edited by Yolo; 06-03-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Yolo is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Tough story...scuba is a sport that is slightly more dangerous than it seems....best wishes for his family. At least the situation has closure.

Thanks for posting. I spend a lot of time on the water and constantly engage divers.
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

I really love arguing with strangers on the internet...NOT...be cool."
      "I was Yolo before it got weird."
      http://www.sandiegofishingclub.com

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

So sad. Glad they found him.

I imagine the visibility down at 175ft isn't more than a few feet.... How creepy woul that be to come accross a body 175 down!

Radman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Need admin to contact me

I am:
      Crazy

Actually the vis could be possibly better at 175 than higher up, but that is a depth even profesionals stay away from without due cause.
      Its sad any time a diving accident ends in death... Scuba diving is gereally safe, if you follow the rules, provided..
      Never dive alone is near the top of those...

I still have haunting images of the diver I helped pull up from 130... again was diving without a buddy... even though several other groups of divers were in the area..

anothereefer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

yeah hear ya guys!!..I've only scuba'd twice in my life to 25-30 ft. it's a very different place down there. My best friends dad was the one who took me and he's been diving for many years in the navy and after he retired and he use to always say "don't forget the buddy system!!" Even the most experienced divers would say the same! Even if it's an area where you dive alot at and are familiar with the surroundings there..it's always different..the experience is different..any can and will happen!! and when you least expect it..

The part in the story that touched me was the diver that found him and the others that put their own time and efforts in as well...

"The diver who found the body, went out specifically to look for him. Several divers had been out in the water on their own time to help look for "one of their own"."

march is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Just becasue he was found at 175' feet doesn't mean he went that deep on purpose - most likely something else happened, maybe another medical issue which the ME will determine. Checking his dive computer should give some info on what profile his dive took and maybe a clue about what happened. The diver who found him would have had special gear and training - normal scuba set up would only give you a few minutes of air at that depth. He was without a weight belt, but the story didn't clarify whether he was found without it - the rescuing diver may have taken that off to be able to get him to the surface. The story also did not say whether there was any air left in his tank. Regardless a sad situation. Being a diver, this story really bothered my wife... we're praying for his family.

coral diver is offline Registered User
      My status is: Scrub your tank for Coral

I am:
      Crazy

Scuba diving is a very wonderful sport as with any sport or professional activity it requires precaution, I have been diving since I was 14 year old and follow the strick rules of Diving
      1, do not dive alone
      2, do not touch anything

When you dive you are in a different world Respect it and it will save your life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information