• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: China Led (best value out there)

bradreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

China Led (best value out there)

I have read a good amount and followed long threads on which led's are good and where the best deals are.

I ended up ordering a 120 watt 55 bulb LEd fixture from

alibaba.com
      I emailed one of the reps there and they were going to add different buld for me for 11 dollars more but I ended up ordering the standard one. within one day I had emailed back and forth with them 3 times so they are very good at responding to emails. The first person I spoke to referred me to one of his coworkers and they did a great job.

I will post pics when I get it in the mail but for $165 shipped you can't get a better deal.

Specs
      -30 blue and 25 white bulbs.
      -Dimmable
      -bridgelux LEd's
      - three year warranty 1st year you ship back to them and they return to you . next two years you pay shipping.

Long thread on RC but people have been happy with these so far.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

scubasteve is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Chillin and helpful

I am:
      Cool

Let us know how you like it!

freshwater is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Should have done a group buy. I was looking into getting one. Maybe in the future

wrestle1952 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Led

OC Reef has a couple of Par 38 bulbs with UV. If you are keeping SPS or plan on doing so in the future, UV is one of the missing ingredients in current LED's which is one of the reasons for their lack of success with acros, montis, etc. When they begin including UV in a current LED unit it may be the time for me to switch. A couple of those bulbs over a 100 gallon tank won't cut it, but it is a step in the right direction.

rman is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Alibaba is unregulated and subject to a lot of scams. Hope that's not the case...

Sent from my pager

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

this seller has been good to many people on rc and they communicate well. and they will add UV for maybe 15 dollars more if you like. I have read enough about people having good success with SPS and similar lights. (actually the weaker 1w bulbs). I will post pics and reviews when I get it.

I will say don't go sending money oversea's unless you know where you are sending it.

The group buy would be about $150 each buy I figured it would be too much work.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Keep us posted... sounds like a great deal for WHITE/BLUE fixtures!!

However, you can also get the same deal when using eBay too... right? And about the same price? Or, am I mistaken?

... I've not read the Reef Central thread yet (you didn't post a link), but I hope it works out for ya... as it has others!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

the things they have over ebay. typically the taotronics(very common) on ebay aren't dimmable so the only way to control them is with height. And if you email them they will customize for you at a very good price. if you look at the store they have some with uv and others with a few royal blue and so on.

Here is the link for the super long thread. somewhere around post 1000 these guys chime in and people start working with them
      http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...110092&page=69

the sales person who I was communicating with collowed up after my order to confirm. Good service for ordering.

here are typical ebay ones. non-dimmable can't customer order, you can find them similar though.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Cor...item43b0463dc5
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aquarium...item1e6bf273be

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Very good... thanks for the links!

They do have dimmable on eBay for just a few bucks more ($180 w/free shipping); http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Aquarium...ht_2114wt_1101

I hope your purchase comes without delay and packaged well! I'm sure it'll be a good experience. I know the company you ordered from, and the sales manager there. I'm sure it'll all work out for you and you'll be happy.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I like ebay and a seller with 10k plus transactions at 99 % is a very good option to me. also paypal has some protection.

Good to hear that you have worked with them Johnny. I am going to ask them if I can post an email address if anyone wants to ask them questions directly.

wrestle1952 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Check out the Par 38 bulbs from OC Reefs. They have added UV led's in addition to blue and white. This could be the breakthrough SPS keepers need for long term success without extra heat and high electricity costs. If they ever put the UV into larger fixtures I would definitely consider the switch.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by wrestle1952 View Post
      Check out the Par 38 bulbs from OC Reefs. They have added UV led's in addition to blue and white. This could be the breakthrough SPS keepers need for long term success without extra heat and high electricity costs. If they ever put the UV into larger fixtures I would definitely consider the switch.
      they will add UV into larger fixtures. follow my first link and then look at the nova fixtures. also the rc thread people are looking at changing the bulbs and many do. I just emailed them to see if I can use there email for people that have questions so I will post later.

wallydizzle is offline Site Sponsor
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dont qoute me on this but I remember being in a conversation with some LED geeks and we got into a discussion that UV LEDs are harmful. The reasoning being that like us (humans), corals develop certain pigmentation that slows the harmful effects of exposure UVs. So why are we adding it and exposed them to it? I've been using strictly blue and white LED panels for 2 years now growing everything successfully from zoas, nems to SPS. I grew a tri-color valida from a 1/2 inch stick to a small 10 branching colony under that same exact panel so my feelings about the UVs are... Meh. Go with just violet for color if ya want, but Water quality, Flow and Parameters are key for ALL corals IMHO.

This Chinese LED panels are TOO cheap to pass, I think I'm gonna get my hands on one... I've lost more $$ in risky corals on a bi-monthly basis, so this is an easy decision

Quote Originally Posted by bradreef View Post
      they will add UV into larger fixtures. follow my first link and then look at the nova fixtures. also the rc thread people are looking at changing the bulbs and many do. I just emailed them to see if I can use there email for people that have questions so I will post later.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by wallydizzle View Post
      Dont qoute me on this but I remember being in a conversation with some LED geeks and we got into a discussion that UV LEDs are harmful. The reasoning being that like us (humans), corals develop certain pigmentation that slows the harmful effects of exposure UVs. So why are we adding it and exposed them to it? I've been using strictly blue and white LED panels for 2 years now growing everything successfully from zoas, nems to SPS. I grew a tri-color valida from a 1/2 inch stick to a small 10 branching colony under that same exact panel so my feelings about the UVs are... Meh. Go with just violet for color if ya want, but Water quality, Flow and Parameters are key for ALL corals IMHO.

This Chinese LED panels are TOO cheap to pass, I think I'm gonna get my hands on one... I've lost more $$ in risky corals on a bi-monthly basis, so this is an easy decision
      ive read that the led uv's can damage also. I have read mixed things about that. I chose not to change anything. But I don't really want to get into the whole discussion about what color temps are good for corals.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information