• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tank needs help things are dying

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Good advise regarding LFS's, while they can be helpful the bottom line is that they need to make sales,always research!

Mrgunz1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Chilling

I am:
      Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by bradreef View Post
      ro as evaporated water need to be replaced. but don't add when you do water changes. use straight scripps. You do need to get your salinity back to the proper level.
      Ok from now on I will only use the scripps water thank you. As for the water change i normally take out ten gallons each week, i feed my fish once sometimes twice a day is that enough water or do i need to take out more

bradreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If you don't add hard coral to your tank you wont need to add much two part.
      this is what I think about xenia
      http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...ighlight=xenia
      But if you want to keep it. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-0...ture/index.php

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If your tank is in trouble 25% water changes can be good. But if it is really bad you can do more. but for regular water changes. I personally like between 5-15%(there are way too many factors involved to pick a number though)

I am:
      Hungry

Thanks guys

I am:
      Hungry

One more thing, ive been told that interrupting the sand bed can have negative effects on my tank, since i have a goby that goes nutts digging up the sand do i need to get rid of him or is it ok to keep him

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

no he will stir it up a little at a time. the big problem is when you stir the whole thing. you risk releasing stored nutrients in the sand. if you have sand IMO you should have a few animals to maintain it. snails. fish, ect.

I am:
      Hungry

I have snails and crabs, I useto have those snails that live under the sand but i saw them get a hold of a gobys tail before and they demolished him i also saw them on my zoas so i got rid of them.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Sounds like you have the right ideas to keep your tank maintained.... let me add;

Make sure you've got plenty of;
      - SNAILS: Astrea, Cerith, Nassarius (are my favorites that do a great job of keeping rocks/glass etc. clean)
      - HERMITS: Red and Blue Legged (they'll get the food the fish don't eat)

My sand is sifted mainly by;
      - DRAGON GOBY (often called a brown-barred goby - best sand sifter I know)
      - RANDALS GOBY (paired with a pistol shrimp - so he doesn't sift too much)
      - TWO SPOT GOBY (a hard worker, but only does the top of the sand)

I (personally) stay away from;
      - URCHINS
      - STARFISH

I DO NOT stir my sand by hand, or use any kind of gravel vac on it. Water movement, and livestock maintain my tanks substrate. I also have a "spray bar" on the back wall about 8" above the sand bed that blows water (and 'stuff') from behind my rock work. It's about 6' long, and behind all my rocks. I believe it's another reason my sand stays as clean as it does and the back low flow areas aren't piled up with debris.

Using SCRIPPS to do your water changes is great. Just warm it up before doing the actual water change.
      Use RO/DI water with a zero TDS as your top off water, and to maintain your salinity levels.

Your amount of water change, will depend on your tests of your water itself.
      Too much nitrate/phosphate... Do a larger water change, more often.

I personally feed only once a day at MOST. Every now and again, I'll forget a day here and there. LESS is better then too much.

I dose my tank with nutrients/chemicals only twice a week (at most). They get Zooplex and Phyto (from Kent), cyclopeze, and other coral foods.... and some other essentials like; Strontium & Moly, B-Ionic two part, Magnesium...etc and only once a month does my tank get "Iodide" also by Kent. During this time, I turn my skimmer off for 8-10hrs (overnight). And yes, I have test kits for all the chemicals I dose.

I don't target feed any of my corals - as I don't keep the types to need it.

Last but not least... GET A TEST KIT!!!
      ... don't trust your local fish store to test ALL the parameters for you. Get a kit, or multiple kits to do your tests!! YOU need to know your water quality. Don't rely on the LFS staff to do a 'good' job for you. How do you know they are doing it right, or didn't mix your water with theirs or another customers...?! Just too many things that can go wrong for ya in this hobby. TEST YOUR OWN WATER, you'll learn by doing this and know your water quality per your tests/kits. Not all test kits are created equal - get my drift?

I don't think my process is the best, nor does it work for everyone... But it's working for me. Proof is in the tank's livestock and health.
      See here ---> http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...775#post706775

I hope that helps answer some of your questions, or just gives you a "what works" method to help ya out.

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 06-21-2012 at 06:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information