• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Hofer Gurgle Buster

jasonmrcdd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Wishing I was at home looking
      at my tank

I am:
      Tired

Hofer Gurgle Buster

Hey reefers! I just wanted to post a review of one of my new favorite reef related inventions...

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

The Hofer Gurgle Buster is a way to create an overflow that is SILENT. I had used a durso on my old 150 reef, but did not have the room in the new 120 (build thread coming at some point in the future...) The HGB is compact enought to fit in my overflow and more than handles the full 1800 GPH from my pump (Probalby going to upgrade the pump in the future since the HGB is so good and moving the H20.) It is also SILENT.

After one failed attempt (it handled the flow but I couldnt tune it enough due to the holes I cut being way to big) I got it right. I now have the HGB tuned to handle the full output of my return pump but no more. This means that the top of the line is not sucking tons of air. Since you can tune the flow, you can prevent the line taking more than your pump can put out.

It is also safe, since it has the hole on top, if the water level rises, it creates a strong syphon that clears the pipe super fast and makes loud sucking noises (I tested this several times to make sure).

My tank had a hole for a two inch blukhead and I didn't want all that capacity to go to waste. After trying to fit 2" fittings in there for a durso but failing (even after cutting the fittings to the "low Profile" durso I have seen on the net) I looked at smaller solutions. The HGB fit the bill perfectly. The build page in the link is for smaller sizes, but just upsize everythign proportionally. I was able to find the properly sized fittings at Lowes/HD and it only cost a few dollars to put together. I currently have it opened only a small portion of the amount I could open it so when I upgrade the pump in the future, it is a simple matter of pushing the "bell" down further to open up more of the holes. After I got it tuned properly, there is now way more noise from my pumps (skimmer and return) in the sump than there is from the overflow. The only thing you can actually hear is a soft bubbling of the water entering the sump but you have to really listen to even get that.

For anyone on the fence, give this a try... Thank my later...

Happy Reefing!

acronautical is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Unfortunately, if I silenced my overflow anymore than my durso, my wife would be even
      more aware/PO'd at the rest of the pump noises than she already is!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information