• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: LED PENDANT - 60W / 120W, 90° Lens, tons of shimmer. Interested?

Lasse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Looks good

Sincerely Lasse

touch_tone is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Nice. I really like what you got going on here. I have the ecoxotic canons on my display but no where near the color mixing capability these have. Par test? Update?

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
      Looks good

Sincerely Lasse
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by touch_tone View Post
      Nice. I really like what you got going on here. I have the ecoxotic canons on my display but no where near the color mixing capability these have. Par test? Update?
      The Ecoxotics are what got me started on using pendants in the first place. They are nice lights... just pricey, and you need more then one to get two colors (white/blue). Once I found out more of how they work and what Orphek was using... I decided to build/design my own. AND AM SO Happy I did!! Thus far, the easiest light to deal with ... no issues ... and gives great color, growth, and shimmer.

One thing about using Ecoxotics is you have two distinct light sources. So, your shimmer looks a bit odd. Hard to explain, but you get blue and white reflections in the sand bed and to me it just doesn't look natural.

I've got a par meter, and a lux meter. But haven't tested these yet. I will someday... but, only to compare them to the old LED fixtures (112x1W, 40x3W or 55x3W) I had over the tank. You can't accurately test LEDs with PAR or LUX meters, which also isn't a fair comparison against something like... metal halides. It's more a LED vs LED comparison.

So far, everyone that sees the tank in person compliments on the lighting. Mostly about it's shimmer and then about the color.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

I figured this post needed an update.
      Simply because the 160W light was a bust, and we went with 120W and 60W.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      Okay... design is finally finished (for the 120W, and 60W)

As I've already noted, the Pendant will have tons of features.
      (the one feature THIS design won't have, is the ability to control the light with an Apex or ReefKeeper type controller using PWM - maybe in the future)

Here's how it'll be setup over my 240gal, and what those features will do for me... specifically;

(4) 120W Pendants over an 8' tank.
      Each pendant, has (2) 60W chips inside the reflector housing.
      Each pendant's multi-chips, are colored as; 12,000K/460nm/435nm in a 1:1:1 ratio

Each morning, this will happen (all controlled via an electronic timer, one each pendant);
      1. 10:30AM - turn on 2 "inner most" pendants, 60W each.
      2. 11:00AM - turn on 2 "outer" pendants, 60W each.
      3. 11:30AM - turn on 2 "inner most" pendants second 60W chip, now at 120W
      4. 12:00AM - turn on 2 "outer" pendants second 60W chip, now at 120W
        • All pendants at 100% by 12:00PM (noon)... an hour and a half cycle.
        • The opposite will take place, to simulate sunset. All powered off by midnight.
        • This puts my lights on, for 9hrs at 100%

Once that daily sunrise and sunset configuration is set, I no longer need to worry about my schedules.
      ... and I'll get to play with the IR Remote RGB dimmer control.

IR Remote RGB dimmer control will function in many ways;
      • I'll be able to change the overall coloration of the tank.
        More blue, more white, all blue, all dark blue, all white, white and dk.blue only etc.etc.
        Essentially, using the remote to mix the three LED colors on the multi-chip.
      • I'll be able to dim the multi-chip to my liking, and the corals liking.
        All via wireless remote control. One controller, will control all 4 pendants (all 8 drivers).

Here's what the RGB remote looks like.... (and how it'll work)
      Note, the colors of the buttons. If I was using true RGB (red, green, blue) chips... I'd get that color, of the button pushed. But I am not, therefore the colors of the button won't match the output of the light... but when I push any of those "color" buttons, it will mix the 3 "custom" colors and get interesting results. Same goes for if I push the R (red) button, I'll get all my whites. If I push the G (green) button, I'll get all 460nm blues. And the B (blue) button, I'll get all 440nm Dark Blues. Not sure what'll happen when I press the W (white) button... as, it's not the white LEDs per-se. As an RGB remote, it's using all 3 std. rgb colors to create white on an RGB chip. My chips is custom colors. Should be interesting. ....All making sense now?!

And how cool is it, that I can have my pendants do as the buttons indicate; Flash, Strobe, Fade, Smooth.

If you'd like to see how a standard RGB chip and remote works, check this out (not my video); http://youtu.be/NdDR8bdaioo

Still trying to retain this type of pricing, we'll see;
      More then likely... it'll be in the price range of (it'll all depend on final production cost and the dreaded shipping);
      With 3 color Multi-chip, wireless remote control, and electronic timer for each pendant;
      60watt pendant :: 1-3pcs $425ea, 4-9pcs $400ea, 10+ $375ea
      120watt pendant :: 1-3pcs $610ea, 4-9pcs $585ea, 10+pcs $535ea

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 01-21-2013 at 01:34 AM.

OSU_BUCKEYE is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sweet tank!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information