• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tank split open

echoreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I had a huge water damage accident a few years ago. First thing you need to do is call a water damage company. They will come in suck all the water out and place a bunch of fans to dry up everything. Then I called my home insurance company. They worked with me to replace the wall, base board where water came down from the 2nd floor to the first floor. Pretty much everything that was damaged was replaced. They even repainted the entire interior of my home and replaced all the base boards to match the place where it was damaged. I had to stay in a hotel for 2 months while the remodeling was happening. So the home owner insurance paid for my family to stay at Residence Inn the entire time and even covered the cost of most of our meals from eating out all the time. Check with your home owner insurance to see what they can do. Good luck.

fresh2120 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So this morning me and my wife set up our 40 gallon tank and put some water in there we were able to save most of the corals... The high end stuff at least. I was really surprised to find when I was getting the sand out of the tank that my wrasses were all alive. I put them in with the rest of the fish and put all of them in the 40 onces it was half way set up. My water isn't to good bc a lot of the coral r releasing toxins so the fish aren't happy but I saved all my fish. But the royal gramma died a little but a go for undetermined causes. Then we started the demo. I have pulled all the carpet up and pad. So now our house will have hard wood floors going in. And for the walls we are working on seeing if they r wet and how to try them... So sad bc the next meeting was support to be at my house and I was happy to show off my tank... Thanks for all the info from everyone. Expect to see equipment for sale in the next few days

Brian_reefragr is offline Extreme Coral Hoarder
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Drunk

Total bummer Adrian, really sorry to hear about all this and if I can help, let me know. I hope everything works out in your favor!
      dream tank in progress

I will always remember my good friend Larry Montgomery

General Contractor-will work for trades

61/0/0 Feedback

A.K.A. - Chat N Run

Goldfish World is offline Registered
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

quick question was this a used tank or was it new?

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

There is a monitor available that has a probe that you poke into drywall to check for moisture, and sometimes even seemingly dry drywall may contain a lot of moisture after an event such as this.
      You may be able to rent one of those or check online for that.
      If it were me, that much water, I'd drill w/ hole saws like I mentioned, it's an easy patch or may not even need a patch if you keep it below baseboard level, and leaving in some drywall gives you something to shoot to/attach.
      Run the turbo fans, it usually takes about 3 turbos' per room affected and 3-5 days running for such a spill.
      I've dealt w/ similar many many times in my profession.
      A hole saw is like $5, just need a drill, anyone could do it.
      If you don't have insurance, this would be the next best route.

rman is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have a hole saw set at my place in San Marcos you could borrow. I would imagine leaving the drywall in place also helps build up air pressure and direction for the air to travel

Sent from my pager

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Obviously I don't know what your homeowners insurance covers or doesn't, but I wouldn't do any of the clean up yourself. Any decent homeowners policy will cover all of that. Including hiring a flood cleanup company. I was very surprised at all of the things about the clean up that I didn't even think about.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm a pretty hands on person. We have been planing on ripping up the carpet to put hard wood floors in but we wouldn't bc the tank was on the carpet. Well now that the tank is gone we are going to do some clean up and lay hardwood. Thanks to Mario and slicktop for helping move the tank out of my house. Good luck with it I hope it will work out for what u plan.

So my birthday is the 20th and a few days ago before this happened I was guessing at what my wife might of got me and when I said a macro lens for my canon 5d she went quite. So here's the salt in the wound, I think she got me a nice macro lense so I could take pics of my coral.... I really want to throw a special thanks to my wife she didn't flip out when she saw all the water all over the place. She helped me when I stressed out and was ready to throw everything away but made me get water and place the corals in it do try and keep them alive. She's already telling me I can special order what ever size tank I would like and do it how ever I would like. If that's not love ( supporting me after all that ) I don't know what is....

Pics will be coming soon. I took pics of the whole process. From finding it the way it was to the clean up and it leaving. Also I got all the pms. Thank you for all the support. I have a 40 gallon tank to keep the coral and fish. I will be selling some corals. And some equipment... ( need the money to cover the cost of putting floor down.)

So another fish died. My large naso tang....
      Funereal arrangements are in the works. No viewing just a barrial.... Lol
      You have to have a little fun with this situation other wise I'll just cry.

Thanks everyone!

sherrerb is offline Registered User
      My status is: Blah Blah Blah

I am:
      Tired

glad you got everything going! it looks like everyone one here pretty much out you in the right direction for the repairs and everything! I am still kinda curious how you are feeling this good about this soon.....i would still be flipping out and probably having a fish fry! not really, but it would cross my mind a few times! Let me know what time the burial is, ill have the flower arrangement delivered!

Jarederaj is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

are u going to try to reseal it? if not what are u doing with it?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I gave away the tank.

The naso was a fan of the seaweed flower arangment

It's hard to not flip out. But I try not to think about it to much. There was a lot of things I wanted to change about the tank so now that I have to start over I can build it again but do it the right way instead of reactive building.

sherrerb is offline Registered User
      My status is: Blah Blah Blah

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by fresh2120 View Post
      I gave away the tank.

The naso was a fan of the seaweed flower arangment

It's hard to not flip out. But I try not to think about it to much. There was a lot of things I wanted to change about the tank so now that I have to start over I can build it again but do it the right way instead of reactive building.
      definitely! I got to do a full build this time, way more fun than my last few tanks where i just bought a full setup and all i had to do was add fish! GL with the next build, lmk if you ever need any help with the next one!

Nick_Kun is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Damn Adrian, just saw this thread. Sorry to hear bro.

bbandu is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      My status is: .

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sorry to hear about your tank, if you need anything let me know I might have it.
      Its all about MTS
      Larry

150g, 60 gal sump, G3 Protein Skimmer, 2 Koralia Evo 1400's,2 Koralia Evo 750's, 20g ATO, 3 - 120w LarryM Led's configured 35 - 16000K, 28 - 14000K, 28 453nm blue and 28, 468nm blue.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75141

60g cube, 20g sump, Bubble Magus curve 5 skimmer with 2 mp10's and 120w led.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...00-60g-upgrade

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Let us know if you need anything that could help in keeping what you have.
      I have a totally ugly/crappy spare 60g that I keep for emergency use that you can borrow for however long you may need.
      Taking care of what survived and keeping spirits up is about all you can do right now.
      If you need advice on the floors or best place to purchase materials give me a shout, I do get contractor discounts at some places if that helps.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information