• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank split open

fresh2120 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Tank split open

I have a 180 gallon tank that split on the side. I had about 2 inches of water in it. Me and my wife got all my fish out and all the rock.Most of the coral died and what was alive we have in trash cans hopefully staying alive.... I need help with moving the tank and stand out of my house and if anyone is a contractor that can come look at my walls and floor to see what needs to be done would really help out... Probouno quote?....
      If u want to see what my take was check out my tank in members tank under daily vodka dosing 180.....

http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...lon&highlight=

pics are up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by fresh2120; 05-25-2012 at 11:56 AM.

sherrerb is offline Registered User
      My status is: Blah Blah Blah

I am:
      Tired

WOW! truly am sorry to hear this! Im not a contractor, but i dab in DIY stuff all the time! Put a few pictures up and maybe some SDR peeps can take a look. Did it happen tonight?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Me and my wife were out of town all weekend so we don't know when it happened. I'll put some pics up tomorrow morning when I have a little more time. I'm devastated I lost huge colony's what were years old...

sherrerb is offline Registered User
      My status is: Blah Blah Blah

I am:
      Tired

well the best thing to do right now, and i mean right now if you havent alreayd done it is to get air circulating in that room. Go down to walmart and get like 4-5 box fans and get the air moving in that room, this will help with drying everything up. Do you have carpet, tile or wood floors? also, the sheetrock, some contractors might replace just the damaged portions, some will replace all the sheetrock. it doesnt really matter what they do, it may just be cheaper to do just the damaged portion. I have a friend that does construction, ill try to get ahold of him tomorrow and see what he can do for a quote.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It's carpet floor. I have a shop vac that pulled the top water but there is so much water under it. I have all my windows open and my house fans going. I'm trying to get it dry. The walls don't really feel wet but that's just surface... I'm just glad all my outlets are ok and I didn't short my house.

david1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

tat suck tat happen to me wit my 120 it sucks bro i now how u feel

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Oh my goodness, so sorry!

Brian-reefragger is in vista/oceanside and is a contractor.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sorry to hear I think the heat had to do with the glue splitting. But it's might of just been pressure... As far as I know this is it for me in the hobby. I lost a lot of high end coral....

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by fresh2120 View Post
      Sorry to hear I think the heat had to do with the glue splitting. But it's might of just been pressure... As far as I know this is it for me in the hobby. I lost a lot of high end coral....
      OH MAN!! That totally SUCKS!!!

I know it's not your priority, but could you take pictures of the "split" your talking about?! And I never noticed... your speaking of a glass or acrylic tank (when you say glue, makes me think Acrylic)?!

... no wonder I wasn't getting responses to my text, as you were supposed to come look at my purple tang, and possibly trade for some pumps. Makes perfect sense now.... SO SORRY MAN!!

(btw, still interested in your pumps. Maybe it'll help with the "clean up" costs)

erikk is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

I have two tornado fans u can barrow and a dehumidifier. All 3 of them are industrial size wich will help dry out everything.

Brian_reefragr is offline Extreme Coral Hoarder
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Drunk

I may be able to help you out, or at least point you in the right direction. Give me a call if you like 760-445-9335. My recommendation is to pull all the baseboards in the room where it happened, and anywhere you noticed water, and pull all the drywall out at a height 2' above the floor, as well as the carpet and pad. You will never see it, but it is inevitable that you will have mold starting to culture in these areas due to a major flood like that, even with the fans and shop vacuuming what water you were able to recover. Just my
      dream tank in progress

I will always remember my good friend Larry Montgomery

General Contractor-will work for trades

61/0/0 Feedback

A.K.A. - Chat N Run

hydrahawk is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey Adrian, sorry to hear the bad news. If you need help moving the tank, I am available most, if not all the time.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Do you have homeowner's insurance? Quite a few years ago when my tank overflowed (long story) State Farm paid for everything, and then some. Clean up, repairs, all of it. I didn't have any kind of special rider on my policy for aquariums either.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_reefragr View Post
      I may be able to help you out, or at least point you in the right direction. Give me a call if you like 760-445-9335. My recommendation is to pull all the baseboards in the room where it happened, and anywhere you noticed water, and pull all the drywall out at a height 2' above the floor, as well as the carpet and pad. You will never see it, but it is inevitable that you will have mold starting to culture in these areas due to a major flood like that, even with the fans and shop vacuuming what water you were able to recover. Just my
      DITTO to that ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      Do you have homeowner's insurance? Quite a few years ago when my tank overflowed (long story) State Farm paid for everything, and then some. Clean up, repairs, all of it. I didn't have any kind of special rider on my policy for aquariums either.
      State Farm only covers the damage TO the property and all it encompasses, not the livestock or the fish tank itself.
      ... still great to know, that homeowners will cover the damage if your with State Farm. I've double and triple checked with my agent, for these exact reasons.

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

I'm also a contractor, and I agree w/ Brian's advice, but would add that quite often instead of cutting the drywall out often flood damage companies just use a 2-3" hole saw and drill between each stud(it's easier and quicker to patch or attach baseboard after this way) and you can rent what's called "turbo fans" from any tool rental, and I would get several.
      You're going to have to pull the carpet and mainly the padding underneath, and it's going to take at least several days of running turbo fans to dry it all out properly to avoid mold/mildew issues.
      Sorry to hear, that's everyone's biggest nightmare.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information