• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: reviews on Protein Skimmers and Lighting for 30 gallon

b76 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

reviews on Protein Skimmers and Lighting for 30 gallon

im looking to start a new 30 gallon aquarium I have been obsessed with FW plants and invertebrates and think that im ready for a coral tank. Anyways i would like to eventually convert my tanks filtration to a refugium but will be using a rena xp2 filter and then might use a cpr hang on back protien skimmer? is this adequate? also i want to have anemone and hammer corals among other things and just need help getting the basics down. i under stand cycling and will buy 30-35 plus live rock. also for circulation i will be using 3-4 power heads. koralia to be specific im thinking 2 smaller ones and 2 larger ones. also will be using deep sand beds to aid in filtration. JUst need lots of input regarding products to buy. I want to start to get and inventory shopping list to prepare for my tank.I NEED help would love some reviews on protien skimmers so i can just invest in one NICE ONE that will survive. also what about the NPX Bioplastics (Biopellets) With Phosban Reactor & MaxiJet 1200 Pump
      BioPellet Filters? i might have to purchase it.

Jarederaj is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Yea thats what I had when I started my 60 gallon tank except I had an xp3.

I didnt like the hang on skimmer because of how much bubbles got put back into the tank, If I were you I would sell the canister and buy a 10-20 gallon tank and make it into a sump and buy a skimmer rated bigger than that tank. if I were to start a smaller tank I would go with the bubble magus nac6.. Even though it is rated for a bigger tank, it is small and quiet and also pulls a ton of junk out.. ORRR the sc 150 skimmer, but I cant really find those for sale at many places. And for lighting it all depends on how much money you have and much much you want to spend on your electricity bill haha, you have metal halide, t5, and LED (my favorite if you have a good brand).

naso tang is offline Registered User
      My status is: clueless

I am:
      Piratey

I setup a 25 g tall that only had an ac70 fuge and filter and a remora skimmer, it was a good setup withsurface skimmer and bubbletrap, noproblem might be in my tank2 thread

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by b76 View Post
      im looking to start a new 30 gallon aquarium ................I NEED help would love some reviews on protien skimmers so i can just invest in one NICE ONE that will survive. ...................
      Remora Pro. Hands down a great HOB skimmer, that surpasses most others.

mrussell is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have a octopus bh1000, surface skims, has the pump external to help with temp control, and pulls out a ton of junk, I am not sure about micro bubbles because my drains in the back compartment but I would def a great skimmer

wrestle1952 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I ran a Remora Pro for a number of years and loved it. The only problem was the skimmer box was always in an awkward position. I had to aquascape around it and it was a major distraction. I switched to an Eshopps 100h. Excellent move, economical, skimmed (in my opinion better than the Remora Pro) like a champ. Had a bubble diffuser and minimized (greatly) bubbles in the tank. External pump and cheap in comparison to other HOB's. I would say it is equal to a Deltec 600 HOB at a fraction of the cost.

Redeye is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Be realistic. Your first jump into saltwater I would not recommend a anemone in a 30g. Especially with 3-4 pumps plus a fuge pump plus your canister intake. Your nem will be chopped up in less than a day in my guess canister filters are horrible on reefs unless you are breaking them down at least once a week. Or else it's a nitrate factory. Empty canister, fill it with live rock rubble, and you have a Cryptic fuge, it will still need dumped out occasionally but not as often.

Back to original post question: I love Tunze 9002 skimmers. Silent, great producer, recently lowered in price, and always supported 100% by the company. They have sent me new skimmers because my bracket broke .

Remora for cheap efficient hangon skimmer, plus they are local and will just tell you to come by their shop if anything breaks (thanks Jason)

Garage13 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I started my first 26 gallon reef set up about 8 months, also coming from planted tanks. First 6 months all it had a was a seaclone hob skimmer (only water circulation), about 20-25 lbs of rock, 1-2 inch sand bed and bi-weekly water changes. The skimmer wasn't even skimming for the first few months because I didn't have it setup right. I've had an anemone and a few hammers since day one and they've been good. Not an optimum setup, but it was a good start.

Have two anemone's with an mj1200, skimmer pump and fuge pump and haven't had a problem, but the only reason I have two anemone's now is I'm about to upgrade to a 95g.

I would highly recommend getting a sump if possible. It keeps everything a lot cleaner in the display and outside of the display. I've heard good things about the Remora and thought about upgrading, but my seaclone has been adequate and can be used in sump as well if I get one.

What phosban reactor are you thinkin about getting? an mj1200 is a lot of flow for standard reactors.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information