• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: New window installation - company recommendation?

lowfi is offline Registered User
      My status is: Salty...

I am:
      Set you mood here...

New window installation - company recommendation?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know a company in SD that replaces old windows that is affordable and decent? Who would have thought windows were so expensive! Eek! If it matters, I will be going to vinyl windows and we have 6 windows that need replacement.

Thanks in advance!

Sean

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

I have a few suppliers that might be able to save you a couple bucks on the windows themselves depending on what you are looking for, guessing you may want to do retro fit?
      I do window installs quite a bit, and I'm N. County, I may be able to help you out.
      Send me your contact info in PM if you'd like.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by lowfi View Post
      Hi everyone,

Does anyone know a company in SD that replaces old windows that is affordable and decent? Who would have thought windows were so expensive! Eek! If it matters, I will be going to vinyl windows and we have 6 windows that need replacement.

Thanks in advance!

Sean
      Not retrofits? Your plan is to remove siding or stucco, and remove old windows... reflash, install new window, and recoat outside of house?

... if so, WINDOW DEPOT in ChulaVista is where I got ALL my windows. E Glass, double pain, etc... for cheap. Did all the installs myself, and with my wife and had a stucco guy come in and repair the house... (actually, did all new stucco at the time).

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Possibly retrofits? I'm not very knowledgeable about window installation. Essentially I want to remove the old crappy window frames and put in vinyls or something similar. Hopefully it will help with heat, cold and moisture/condensation buildup. This would be for a condo.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by lowfi View Post
      Possibly retrofits? I'm not very knowledgeable about window installation. Essentially I want to remove the old crappy window frames and put in vinyls or something similar. Hopefully it will help with heat, cold and moisture/condensation buildup. This would be for a condo.
      retrofits do not remove the old window frame, they utilize it. So if your old window frame is rotting, or defunct in some way... direct replacement is usually the better option, but will cost more and be more intrusive.

Retrofits also make the finish product look odd in my opinion. Once a window is installed, the finish exterior frame around the window is much larger then a replaced window and frame. More or less, to cover the old window frame and surrounding area as the retrofit slides into the old window frame. The interior look, also is of a retrofit. But again, saves on the demo and repair of the drywall or window surround.

KDHL is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

I replaced some of the windows with the retrofit windows.

I know what Johnny is talking about the ugly frame.

What I did was... I used the reciprocating saw and removed all the old frames without damaging the stucco or drywalls. I ordered the windows to fit perfectly without the old frame.

Usually the retrofit window has bigger frame as default, because it need to cover the old frame. In my case, since I removed all the old frames... I ordered the retrofit window with smaller frame.

Once installed... it looks as good as a full replacement windows without the ugly big frame outside and big gap inside.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

these are good tips. thanks guys!

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Each house is so different, it's hard to say what is best for you w/out seeing it.
      Personally I do prefer new construction windows over retro's, but in many cases the retro's are just fine.
      It really depends on your homes exterior and how well the original windows were installed, and how they held up.
      I agree often by the ocean the frames are shot, and I don't like to rely on them for a good seal.
      There have been some jobs that were so exposed to weather w/ uneven stuco texture that I flat out refused to take the job as a good seal was almost impossible.
      Depending on the manufacturer, some retro's have funky trim, some look nice.
      Really need to see your house to give best advice.
      If you had siding or wood trim window installs are a snap, stuco, yeah, need a good stuco guy that can match it if you go new construction that requires chipping out stuco perimeter, unless you do like Johnny did and restuco the whole house, but that does bump things a bit.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information