• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building my own RO system...

ReefTradingCo-RN is offline Registered User
      My status is: switching from splitkooks

I am:
      Enraged

Lightbulb Building my own RO system...

Through my researching, purchasing, usage, and eventual sale (to upgrade) process in search for 0ppm water, I have come to the conclusion- all RO systems are created equally and thus no one setup (minus all filters/membranes/meters) is superior to any other.

After taking this idea to my water guy (OB Water Store), and looking online - I have come to the conclusion that the best course of action would be to put build my own system.

Part lists, schematics, and inexpensive parts all can be sourced online.

I need to make sure that this is understood - I'm not going to be making anything, just assembling stuff to fit my needs. There are pro's who roll membranes, pack filters, and get all that jazz ready - and to be honest I'll leave it up to them!

What I am looking to do is:
      • Twin 3-stage filter brackets, holding a total of 6 filter housings
        • Mixed (in no particular order) 2x 5micron coconut carbon filters, 2x 5m sediments, 1 GAC, 1 color changing DI
      • Quadruple membrane housings
        • 2 RO DOW membranes
        • 2 DI resin membranes
      • Inline UV lamp
      • flow meter & Booster pump w/ auto flush (so that every xx Gallons, the filters/membranes can be flushed)
      • 2/3x DUAL inline tds meters (monitor i/o for 3rd stage, 6th, 10th)
      • (dual) Pressure guage for the originating input as well as pressure at the finalized output
      • Keep the system modular, be able to 'Plug-and-Play' - utilize different parts of the system at different times, and be able to use each part as needed
      All together 11 stages, hopefully will be able to prioritize the filtration in micron sizing as to allow for maximum total Gallon usage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Am7NT.gif
Views:	242
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	36731

Name:	lXg9v.gif
Views:	203
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	36732

Name:	HJUis.gif
Views:	427
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	36733

So what say you SDReefers?

Also if you have seen any sites selling RO parts post em here, I am interested in any and all parts to RO systems, membranes, housings, brackets, fittings, whatever!

Once I get this fired up I will update this badboy!

jnicita is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Wow, is your water that bad? Seems a bit over the top. I'll be following, although I already built my system from individual 10 canisters and a nice 125gpd Dow membrane, permeate pump, and a high flow booster pump.

Interested as it sounds like each piece will be backed up, and system will be operational even during maintenance.

-John

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Is his water that bad? He lives in San Diego county. Yes the tap water is that bad! My TDS going in to my spectrapure is around 300. Coming out ZERO! All those dissolved solids mean one thing if they aren't removed, poor water quality. Looks like a legit unit! Keep us up to date on it's development.

San Diego Reefs Moderator
      Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

When it comes to filters and membranes, I order from air water ice.

San Diego Reefs Moderator
      Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

Madjamey is offline Member
      My status is: R.I.P Larry M.

I am:
      Piratey

What the " F " !!! What is the purpose behind having such an elaborate set up ? I thought my 6 stage BRS unit was overkill ! I do like the idea of an in-line UV and auto flush !

jnicita is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah, I'm I east county, and my RO omes out at around 3, post di is zero. I never measured going into unit, but I di have to add a booster as well as a permiate pump to ease my consonance about water wasting. Wonder how bad clairmont is to jamul, to spring valley, to Ramona, to el Cajon. 12 stage bad?

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Max...

As an FYI... the second DI canister isn't needed. I HAD two, and found out the second one is useless being the first canister will bring it to zero TDS. I do re-run my waste water through a second membrane.... and no booster pump (not needed as I have 80psi at the RO unit). It works great and can make 50gal in about 4-6hrs with less waste.

I do run two TDS meters, and two pressure gauges to watch the unit... and make sure it's not clogging, or that it's still doing it's thing.

I start at about 300-350 TDS, and my system brings it down to 6-10TDS before DI. Post DI, I'm at zero.

Found a picture of the unit .... I also broke out the RO water, before it heads off to the DI and other membranes, since my wife drinks water by the gallon. It's NOT good to drink DI water... hence the dump just post RO membranes. I shut that valve, and open the flow into the last two canisters for RO/DI water. If you need, I can look up what's in each canister... as of now, I can't remember it all;
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 04-25-2012 at 08:21 PM.

sniper5431 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have a machine in a storage building up here in Murrieta. It cost my company about 30k. It is brand new and consists of 2 media beds, I believe dual pass RO to an EDI. Will get your water down to .03 Micro Siemans or below. Currently its setup for 480 volt input. Yet, can be modified with what appears to be your knowledge. You are welcome to come have a look at it. My company has told me I can do what I want with it. Since we have gone to a different version and it has sat in storage for about 5 years. Its skid mounted about 6 ft high and like 4x4 square. Come with a PLC expansion rack internal. I can make you price you will be happy with.

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by sniper5431 View Post
      I have a machine in a storage building up here in Murrieta. It cost my company about 30k. It is brand new and consists of 2 media beds, I believe dual pass RO to an EDI. Will get your water down to .03 Micro Siemans or below. Currently its setup for 480 volt input. Yet, can be modified with what appears to be your knowledge. You are welcome to come have a look at it. My company has told me I can do what I want with it. Since we have gone to a different version and it has sat in storage for about 5 years. Its skid mounted about 6 ft high and like 4x4 square. Come with a PLC expansion rack internal. I can make you price you will be happy with.
      HA , now that's OVERKILL !!!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

There is no such thing as overkill with southern california water!
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by specvjeff View Post
      There is no such thing as overkill with southern california water!
      ^ That right there is ! ^ 4x4x6 , 480 volts , and $30K , skid mounted . Not that any of us would have this , OVERKILL !

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

sniper5431 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The 480 issue can be resolved easily. The price will be very low. The 480 connection is just feed. There is a step down transformer for most everything. 120 or 220 whould be very easy to use.I am going to Ebay parts if it does not sell. So, very reasonable would be the price. I really need to get rid of it. I am not using it because I have a 10k RO tank a few miles away from the house
      Last edited by sniper5431; 04-26-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

I'm curious how much... just for kicks
      Last edited by Bogg; 05-01-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

Also you guys with the dual membrane do you use a booster pump?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information