• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Car/truck alarm experts?

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by unbereefable View Post
      ........... I personally have a 2nd battery in my car that's just for the alarm.
      Word to that. I have the small backup battery buried deep in the dash. Works great. So does my little piezo interior screamer. Ear piercing.

Quote Originally Posted by mineman View Post
      .......... A good installer makes it all work right. A great installer makes it thief RESISTANT!
      Word to that too! Anyone can splice in an alarm. It's not good if it can be detuned in a matter of seconds (even if it's soldered in place). My buddy does this to all alarm installs that request it. Otherwise it's crimp connectors. Not too many people want to pay the few extra bucks for solder/heat shrink... but, when they understand the advantage and longevity of the connection... they pay it.

(more links below - more material to read up on)

My alarm is a Clifford (DEI) RSX 3.5 MATRIX, 2way. Pretty old, but still a great 2 way system. I also have the remote start (diesel truck) and I love the start/shutoff confirmation via the remote.Two way remotes are a bit big and bulky, but nice to have. The GPS system I believe is a VIPER (DEI) 210V... and it's the least used feature, but when my alarm is triggered and it calls my cell... it tells me where my truck is (for example, street block number and street name, city and state). Pretty cool if needed. It'll also call/email with updates or what they call a "heartbeat". Letting you know it's all good. When I go away on vacay, it'll call and tell me when the battery is getting low too... nice feature. A $1200 system... expensive, but there when you need it!

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by davocean View Post
      My place is pretty safe, and my neighbors and I all watch for each other, if it wasn't for that heavy storm for cover I don't think this would have happened, and they hit several people that night apparently. They only drove my truck 3 blocks away, and there they felt safe enough to rape my truck.
      My main concern is those guys now know I keep real quality tools, and they know I will be replacing them, sure don't want a round two of what I'm going through right now.
      Thieves don't care too much for alarms... as, they are just deterrents. They walk the neighborhood and pass on the vehicles with blinky/blinky lights if there's more opportunity at the next car with no blinky lights. BUT, an alarm isn't a show stopper. It's JUST a DETERRENT! So... I use my alarm for great features (window roll up, passive arming, remote start...etc), and the deterrent is just an added bonus.

Plus, I made sure to be able to turn off the alarm's link to my truck horn if needed. So, when it's going off at 2PM... it's blasting my alarm and horn. At 2AM, I can shut down the truck's horn so it's much quieter. An on dash LED lets me know if the Truck's horn is active or not. A nice touch any installer can add.

IF... they get your truck started and drive away, the GPS feature is the best of all. It can be powered separately so to never be shut off. You always know where your vehicle is going once stolen (unless parked in a concrete garage space, or where GPS satellites can't be reached for some reason). These GPS features can be added separately too... but a "noise maker" is a must, even if they just bypass it in a minute or two.

LASTLY, secure your tools better. Make it harder for them to get to them ONCE they've got your vehicle. I know a couple old thieves that would make note of the guy who pulls into homeD, opens his tailgate to reveal a gold mine of tools. Follow him home, or to his job site and wait. Whenever you "show off" your loot, there's bound to be prying eyes waiting in the shadows to remove that loot from your possession. Site unseen goes a LONG WAY to remove the temptation of a thief.

Did I mention, I HATE THIEVES!

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Yeah, I'm pretty good at keeping things undercover, out of site, out of mind.
      I also tinted my truck shell windows solid black so no one can see in.
      Besides, if you saw my old beater Nissan you wouldn't expect anything more than gardening tools.
      Someone had to see me loading/unloading and driving by.(and I usually load/unload when it's dark for this reason)
      I've had a good run, 12 years here w/out issues, but the party's over now.
      I'm probably one of the last here w/out a smart phone, between my hobbies (mostly water related)and work (I'll break it)I just can't keep one on my person most of the time, so a phone alert/gps isn't for me.
      I'm thinking lojack at this time, and the advice of securing my truck better lock wise.
      Trippy to me is I see absolutely no signs of forced entry, no broken windows, door locks are fine.
      My ignition is slightly loose and feels like a burr in there, key doesn't turn smooth, but will turn after a few tries.
      I really wonder what they used to get in so easy.
      That one is going to mess w/ me thinking they can just hop in my cab any time quick quiet and easy.
      I too HATE thieves, and I actually check CL now and then watching for stolen tools reports so I can keep an eye out for other people's tools.

solefald is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I really wonder what they used to get in so easy.
      As someone who used to drive a tow truck, i can tell you that opening an old Nissan with a slim jim is done under 30 seconds.

I am:
      Geeky

I really wonder what they used to get in so easy. That one is going to mess w/ me thinking they can just hop in my cab any time quick quiet and easy...........
      Slim Jim, Master Key, Duplicate Key etc. are all possibilities. Even a pencil can open an older Toyota truck (ask me how I know - lol).
      ... you have to imagine your vehicle as "unlocked at all times". That's how a Thief thinks... because, they can pop a door in a matter of seconds. A locked door is like a hiccup, not really even an annoyance to them. SMASH and grabs are rookies... hence no broken window, etc.

Best to think the thief has a key. If you don't think in that manner, your in the dark ages. And If you don't want (or can't) to step into this age (with smart phone, or other devices), you'll have to build more of an armory within your vehicle. Simple as that.

MY PERSONAL OPINION: LoJack is lame... and will only help to locate your vehicle once ALL your stuff is gone. If they are dismantling the vehicle, they'll find it... and your back to square one. If they are just stealing tools/equipment, then they'll be gone before your call to the police.

Get a noise maker... even a cheapy. It'll deter before anything else.

BTW, don't think HOW they got in... think WHEN they'll get in (and what your going to do to stop them). It's a much more realistic approach. I even went as far as installing security-cameras outside my home (we had a neighborhood tire slasher, which was the last draw for me). Best thing I could have done for peace-of-mind. Even when I'm out at dinner, or wherever... I can view my cameras on my phone and know who's in, or around my home. GOTTA' LOVE TECHNOLOGY!
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 04-17-2012 at 07:27 AM.

I am:
      Amused

Yeah, I know, everyone rides me on the smart phone/technology thing, I'm an old school dinosaur on that one I guess.
      On top of it where I live so close to the water here we all have issues w/ intermittent service, all my neighbors even say we often don't get messages until days later all the time, so I just don't trust them.
      Good point on the lojack, I'm much more concerened about my tools than I am about my truck, and my main focus is keeping those from being stolen.

I am:
      Geeky

If you think as any lock, is just a deterrent... you'll be much more inclined to protect your valuables with OTHER means.

Same with your home... assume, all locks are UNLOCKED;
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRVTU-rCnc

Even scarier if you jump to minute 1:10;
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_j3tCYfnoM

OR... have you heard of a BUMP key? (slower, but still works)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrRxvZtmbX4
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxhqMikmj-c
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 04-17-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah, I know, everyone rides me on the smart phone/technology thing, I'm an old school dinosaur on that one I guess.
      man, no need for any of that. you can go with old school analog system - Trunk Monkey!

I am:
      Amused

Trunk monkey!LOL
      Laughs are good right now.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dave, found a perfect solution for you.

I am:
      Amused

^^LOL, pretty funny, but not as good as trunk monkey!
      OK, so just to close this thread out and also give thanks to all who responded(so much appreciate all input) as well as give two thumbs up to Car Audio Heaven where I had my alrm installed(great service!)
      I decided the best solution for my needs was the Viper responder 3303, and I have to say I'm pretty stoked on it.
      Has everything I think I need, and has a silent set mode so I don't tick off the neighbors setting it on/off early am or late night(it was equally important for me to stay on good terms w/ the neighbors as well as protect my truck and tools)
      Oh, and since I had hesitation on spending money on my dumpy ol' work truck, and repairs to my truck exceeded what I thought it was worth, I decided to get a new truck too!LOL
      I love it, and here it is hauling the cabinet I built for JT and his wife.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information