Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you tell what is wrong?

sumbudy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Can you tell what is wrong?

Hello everyone,

1) From the picture, can anyone tell what is wrong?
      2) Can anyone ID this coral (from the "before" picture)?

Before:
      http://s1245.photobucket.com/albums/...3-22073207.jpg

After:
      http://s1245.photobucket.com/albums/...4-12190336.jpg

60 gallon cube.
      Tank started ~ 7 weeks ago.
      Use Scripps water.
      Frags of coral only, no fish.
      Temp = 77.5
      SG 1.024
      Ammonia = zero
      Nitrite = zero
      Nitrate = 10
      Calcium = 480
      Phos = 0.25
      KH = 10

The tank recently (~ 1 week ago) went through a brown algae (or diatom?) stage. Less than a week ago, I noticed what looked like amphipods/copepods on the sand and several tiny white dots on the inside walls of the fish tank (maybe "baby" amphipods/copepods). The brown algae seems to be gone. The above is the only change that I can think of. All the other coral seem to be doing fine (about 15 other small frags)

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!
      Last edited by sumbudy; 04-13-2012 at 09:49 PM.

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

gsp
      green star polyp
      you can supplement iodine/iodide
      maybe change location where there's plenty of flow

Jarederaj is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

its closed up.. that in my experience is the easiest coral.. Not sure what can be wrong but I had a neglected frag once that didnt see light for awhile and ended up coming back into a big colony. Im sure its not going to die. and I would supplement and put lots of flow like jesse said

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

@jessegarcia28: Thank you for the ID and suggestions! I will look into an iodine/iodide supplement and maybe moving the location. It also looks like the flow in that area is very low.
      @jarederaj: I thought that was a pretty easy one to start off with. Come to think of it, I was decreasing the length of time the light was on due to the algae problem - now that the algae problem is resolved, I will increase the number of hours the light is on. Thank you!

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

It's GSP count your blessings it's not doing well! It is beautiful but it will take over your take quickly! It's far more aggressive than most corals.
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

uxdesigner is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It's sleeping, GSP closes up completely and opens as it pleases. All the polyps are still there meaning its perfectly healthy. Give it a couple days, it doesn't always like to look good

reef hobby is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Check your PH... for me that has always been the reason anything has acted up...

wallydizzle is offline Site Sponsor
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

NSW for corals always sketches me.. get it to a decent flow area, maybe adjust the depth of the placement.. tinker away and good luck. GSP are hardy but I've seen super finicky..

sdsocal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

"7 weeks old" - Tank is more than likely still cycling unless you used established live rock, live sand., etc....

+1 on checking PH - Other params seem fine.

+1 Flow

+1 GSP. Very hardy and aggressive (grows fast) as Jeff said. Great looking coral IMO - adds color and movement. I keep mine isolated as to not let it over run my other corals.

If it is the only coral not opening up or doing good then just give it some time it should bounce back. If more corals seem affected I would do some extra water changes and possibly run some carbon. I also use Microbacter 7, Biofuel, and run GFO to keep my phospahtes and Nitrates in check.

As for NSW - I never had a problem with it. It will have more nutrients than mixed, but the MB7, Biofuel, and GFO will help keep parameters in check.

Radman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Need admin to contact me

I am:
      Crazy

ditto with uxdesigner.... I have GSP that has closed up for several days some times... Not sure what causes it. I first though it was water conditions, but now I don't. Once I thought it was because I had disturbed a bunch of other polyps that gave out chemicals into the water, (which may be true), but now I think its just natural for GSP to "sleep" once in a while...

Its one of th emost hardy corals I've seen, and i'm constantly checking its spread...

reef hobby is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My gap is in the highest flow an lighting of my tank almost and it loves it! It has never closed for a day since I got it...

knightnsd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Im getting rif of my gsp, carved it off a large rock and it is growing back fast. Large rock with it growing back quickly will be available this weekend. Not a fan of the stuff since it coevrs things quickly. It does look cool under the actinics though.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

... whatever you do, don't DOSE Iodine/Iodide unless you can test for it!!

Trust me on this.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thank you to everyone that replied! I really appreciate the comments/suggestions and now I know which direction to go to try to figure out what is going on.

Have a great weekend!

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

You too! Stay dry!

Also as mentioned, GSP is a super easy coral to take care of.
      ... if it dies, look me up. I'll be happy to give you a new frag for free.

Are any of your other corals closed up?
      And... corals will close up to "sleep" (for lack of a better term), and will acclimate to your lighting regime. If you turn on the lights earlier then normal... the coral will take longer to open. AND, it's not odd for them to start closing before the lights go out. BUT, if it's been like that for a couple days... you could have just had a small spike in your tank. Nothing to worry about... unless it stays closed for a week.

Best to NOT panic, don't start adding something to your tank you normally don't do. Don't change your regime if there's nothing else closing up, or your parameters are doing okay. Just keep an eye on it for the next few days... report back, and let us know.

BTW, those tiny little white things... do they look like this (about the size of a pen head, or so);
      http://hellejorgensen.typepad.com/go...es/limpets.jpg

... more then likely, LIMPETS

Limpets

Several different genus and many species make up the snail-like invertebrate family, commonly known as limpets. Limpets have an oval, laterally compressed shell that tapers to an off-centered blunt point. Limpets have a tiny hole at the crest of their shell where it becomes a point, which they use for waste and water exchange. Many of these species have a very large mantle that extends around and covers the shell. In fact, some limpets can be very beautiful with amazing colors, and make a welcome guest in an aquarium that does not contain SPS corals.

The most common variety encountered in a reef aquarium is the Keyhole Limpet. They are a common import with live rock, and are typically colored in a mottled brown, black and tan pattern, and do not have a mantle that cover their shell. The Keyhole Limpets are typically half an inch long, or smaller, and feed on unwanted filamentous algae, cyanobacteria, diatoms and even hydroids. Unfortunately, in the SPS aquarium, they will also feed on the tissue of SPS corals.

As with many of the snail species, it is best to physically remove the limpet if you are unsure of its species and diet. Some limpet species are herbivores and are beneficial to even a reef aquarium. But even the herbivores can become harmful if there is not enough food for them in the aquarium. Limpets will typically not reproduce to any significant number in the aquarium, and physical removal is usually a sufficient control for the SPS coral aquarist.
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 04-13-2012 at 07:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information