• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LED LIGHTING, another group buy?! (165watt - 3 color - low cost)

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

LED LIGHTING, another group buy?! (165watt - 3 color - low cost)

Hello folks....

I've just finished with a group buy, and am planning another. This time, with a simpler design and yet still a "dimming" solution.

The fixture is similar to the run-of-the-mill China based black case setups you see in your local fish stores, and elsewhere (eBay, Craigs List, etc). And yes, these are similar... yet, with a twist. They are High power, cheap priced, 3 colors of LEDs and dimmable! (however, no controller/timer is included - you must use knobs to dim on top of unit).

They are 165W units, or (55) 3watt LEDs in one fixture.
      ... coverage is a 24" x 24" x 36" (or deeper) area per panel.
      Great for deep tanks, or for those who like to mount their lights high above the water line!

LED COLORATION IS;
      (27) 12,000K WHITE
      (14) 460NM BLUE
      (14) 440NM INDIGO (dark blue)

One 110V cord/switch, and one knob control; All White
      One 110V cord/switch, and one knob control; All Blue, and All Indigo

Typical warranty of 2yrs manufacturer, with the ability to get spare LEDs and possibly drivers for local repair if needed. They also come with hanging kits, and 110V cords (6' long).

What's the difference between these, and other units on the market (eBay, Craigs, etc.etc)??
      - Configuration (3 colors of LEDs)
      - High power (165watts over the standard 112watt or 119watt)
      - Dimmable (if they are too powerful, dim them to your needs)
      - Low cost for custom fixtures

They look like (excuse the purple reflection, cases are black in color) ...click on picture for larger view...

I've got to order a minimum of (4) to get the good price...
      (includes taxes, Western Union transfer fees and shipping via DHL)

It'll take 10 days for them to manufacture (due to custom color), 1 day for burn in/test, and 2-3 days for them to arrive on my doorstep. It's not fast... but for those who are patient, come good things.

I'll (personally) be ordering 2 as backups to my already new LEDs (and possibly for Reef friends).

Let me know as soon as possible. Any questions, I prefer a PM!

WHO'S IN?!?!
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 07-05-2012 at 04:22 PM.

skate858 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

hey when do you need the payment?

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by skate858 View Post
      hey when do you need the payment?
      Haven't set a date yet... I guess it's up to how many interested buyers that chime in.

I think by... say... Noon on April 2nd.
      (If I set a date, it's not "set in stone" but it'll give us all a date to shoot for, and an order date of one day after deadline.)

I am:
      Geeky

Not too many chiming in...

I'll be ordering no matter what, as I need some LEDs for some new tanks going in AND want some backups (you never know). And I will be ordering as I mentioned ... probably on April 3rd.

LET ME KNOW ASAP if your interested.

bladedrummer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Do you think two of these would be enough for a 75 gallon tank? I'd like to be able to have pretty much anything in it. I would love it if the lighting I choose won't limit my choices in corals/livestock later. I'm a noob, looking at LEDs mostly because of less heat/less power consumption. Also I might need 1 or 2 weeks to come with the money. Not sure. In the process of moving to a bigger apartment, hence the tank (finally).

unbereefable is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Two of these units will be plenty for a standard 75, they'd be good even for a 75 tall. If I were buying prebuilt fixtures, I'd Defintily go with Johnny. But I'm DIYing my own. And I have to mention, although there may be some cheaper lights out there, these have a warranty and Johnny can fix em. Can't beat that! With the eBay fixtures, good luck getting anything done with the warranty.

Zachar16 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

you can find better ones on ebay for cheaper then that

seabass1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Zachar16 View Post
      Hey Zach, so where abouts are you finding these "cheaper & better" fixtures?? I put all the buzz-words in & all I came up with was 1 page of cheap 1w non-name, no-brand diodes & fixtures? Hook me up dood.

seabass1

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Zachar16 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by seabass1 View Post
      Hey Zach, so where abouts are you finding these "cheaper & better" fixtures?? I put all the buzz-words in & all I came up with was 1 page of cheap 1w non-name, no-brand diodes & fixtures? Hook me up dood.

seabass1
      Zach... best to post on your own, and not in a group buy if your to make a claim, and not stand by it. Throwing out some BS about "better" is what just irks me (especially with nothing to show for your clout, or the item itself). "Cheaper"?... for sure there's some out there. You can get white/blue all day long for cheaper. NOT what I'm buying here, and not the apples to apples comparison.

... PM on it's way to you.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by bladedrummer View Post
      Do you think two of these would be enough for a 75 gallon tank? I'd like to be able to have pretty much anything in it. I would love it if the lighting I choose won't limit my choices in corals/livestock later. I'm a noob, looking at LEDs mostly because of less heat/less power consumption. Also I might need 1 or 2 weeks to come with the money. Not sure. In the process of moving to a bigger apartment, hence the tank (finally).

Quote Originally Posted by unbereefable View Post
      Two of these units will be plenty for a standard 75, they'd be good even for a 75 tall. If I were buying prebuilt fixtures, I'd Defintily go with Johnny. But I'm DIYing my own. And I have to mention, although there may be some cheaper lights out there, these have a warranty and Johnny can fix em. Can't beat that! With the eBay fixtures, good luck getting anything done with the warranty.
      UNBEREEFABLE got ya covered with his answer... TO add to it, YES... they'd be more then enough. And even better if mounted 8-10" above the tank's water surface (better spread of light).

Per my PM reply to you, I'm happy to work with ya on your purchase. I'm in a place where I can do that right now (not too often when unemployed), and it's one of my main reasons for a group buy in the first place (to help others acquire quality LED units, with a local repair person if needed - I'm buying some for backup, and the tanks I keep acquiring!). Looks like I'll be seeing you sometime early this next week!! I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your purchase.

I am:
      Geeky

UPDATE:
      I slid the date a few days, for those still wanting to jump in on the "deal".

... it seems we had a couple prospects that waited until tax returns came in, or were on the fence... But NOW it's time to make the move. So I've started taking deposits/payments and need to get the order in within a few days. Again... no pressure, but if you want in it's best to get a hold of me asap and make arrangements to come over and leave your deposit/payment. This way, I write you a receipt, and we are able to discuss your order. I'm not sure when I'll place another order.... Not expecting anytime soon.

TO RECAP... here's the light and break-down info to be ordered;
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      The fixture is similar to the run-of-the-mill China based black case setups you see in your local fish stores, and elsewhere (eBay, Craigs List, etc). And yes, these are similar... yet, with a twist. They are High power, cheap priced, 3 colors of LEDs and dimmable! (however, no controller/timer is included - you must use knobs to dim on top of unit).

They are 165W units, or (55) 3watt LEDs in one fixture. High Power units!!
      ... coverage is a 24" x 24" x 36" (or deeper) area per panel.
      Great for deep tanks, or for those who like to mount their lights high above the water line!

Also good for smaller or shallow tanks, as you can dim your lights to match your needs.

LED COLORATION IS;
      (27ea) 12,000K WHITE
      (14ea) 460NM BLUE
      (14ea) 440NM PURPLE (UV)

One 110V cord/switch, and one knob control; All White
      One 110V cord/switch, and one knob control; All Blue, and All Purple

Typical warranty of 2yrs manufacturer, with the ability to get spare LEDs and possibly drivers for local repair if needed. They also come with hanging kits, and 110V cords (6' long). ....at this time, I'm your local repair guy and will help field any problems locally before having to send them back to china for warranty repair. Much easier then dealing with an eBay seller, I'd think.

What's the difference between these, and other units on the market (eBay, Craigs, etc.etc)??
      - Configuration (3 colors of LEDs)
      - High power (165watts over the standard 112watt or 119watt)
      - Dimmable (if they are too powerful, dim them to your needs)
      - Low cost for custom fixtures
      - Removable cords
      - Rocker on/off switches

They look like (excuse the purple reflection, cases are black in color) ...click on picture for larger view...

I've got to order a minimum of (4) to get the good price... which is, $225 each
      (includes taxes, Western Union transfer fees and shipping via DHL)

It'll take 10 days for them to manufacture (due to custom color), 1 day for burn in/test, and 2-3 days for them to arrive on my doorstep. It's not fast... but for those who are patient, come good things.

I'll (personally) be ordering 2 as backups to my already new LEDs (and possibly for Reef friends).
      ... so all we need is two more to order at that rate. And anymore than 4, the cost is still $225 each.

Let me know as soon as possible. Any questions, I prefer a PM! I'll usually reply with my phone number to discuss.

bladedrummer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It was great meeting up today. Thanks for taking the time to explain some stuff to me, I appreciate it. Can't wait for the lights to get started!

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by bladedrummer View Post
      It was great meeting up today. Thanks for taking the time to explain some stuff to me, I appreciate it. Can't wait for the lights to get started!
      And you too!!! Sorry my living room was such a mess, and oh goodness... my tank, just an algae-on-the-acrylic embarrassment (let alone my LEDs not being installed). It's all clean now, and LEDs installed. *phew*!!

... I'm ordering first thing this next week. Doing some final preps to the order (for myself, and needing spare LEDs added to the order) and will get-er done.

ANYONE WANT TO JUMP IN LAST MINUTE????
      ... contact me asap, and we'll get you in on the deal. In fact, as I explained to everyone else... please come by and discuss the purchase. My door is always open, and I enjoy helping out fellow reefers. Sharing is caring!!! Sharing knowledge anyway.

Aquatic Living is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I think I might want to jump in on this, is there a way for me to check out what you have in town?

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatic Living View Post
      I think I might want to jump in on this, is there a way for me to check out what you have in town?
      I've already put in the order... but, they aren't built yet (it's only been a few days). So you have 1-2 days where I can get them in on this order... I'd say no later then Monday night. But note, they will be a few bucks more... simply because of the WU Fees, and tad bit more shipping ($240/light)

Sure... you can come check out the LEDs I currently am using. But, they aren't from "this" group buy. They are the same "color" LEDs, and 120W using (40) 3 watt LEDs. So plenty of shimmer. Not the same exact... but, you'd get the idea.

I'm available late Saturday, or sometime in the day Sunday. PM Me if your truly serious, and wanting to get in on the buy. Tick Tock.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information