• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NEEDED: Electrician, to trace and move some circuits (we are a bit overloaded)

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      It wasn't when I did it at my house in Lemon Grove. Permit was $80 which I am sure is cheaper than the City of San Diego. I bought a 24 space, 200a panel from Home Depot for $150 and a handful of new breakers for it. My dad and I pulled out the old 60a panel, opened up the wall more and installed the new panel. SDG&E hooked it back up and I was good to go. I had to redo the stucco around it and do some patching on the interior wall, but it was worth it. I ran 4 20a circuits to my tank and ran a 20a circuit to the base of all of my trees in the yard, for Christmas lights of course. One of the best investments I ever made in my house.
      I hear ya... the panel, and the stucco/drywall is the easy part. The service TO MY HOUSE is what needs to be upgraded. Otherwise, the panel itself will be beyond amp capacity. For example, I can't add anymore 20A breakers... not because I don't have slots, but because of the service coming to my house from the pole.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by sniper5431 View Post
      yes, this Sunday
      Got the PM too... I'll check my schedule! Heck of an offer to assist. Shoot... I already OWE YA, and then this...

sniper5431 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

no worries, that is what this place is for correct?

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      I hear ya... the panel, and the stucco/drywall is the easy part. The service TO MY HOUSE is what needs to be upgraded. Otherwise, the panel itself will be beyond amp capacity. For example, I can't add anymore 20A breakers... not because I don't have slots, but because of the service coming to my house from the pole.
      Are you sure about that? When I did it I was living in Lemon Grove and the wire feeding my house from the pole was #6 wire. When SDG&E came back to hook me back up, they laughed at me for installing 2/0 supply wire from the roof to the panel. I told him that in my business we always use wire that can handle the potential load of the device we are running it to, in this case a 200a panel, which is what 2/0 wire is rated for. He pointed out that for residential supply they use averaging and all kinds of other factors that come into play with that. Even the fact that the wire is in the air and not in a conduit makes a difference. It may be different how they do it in the City of SD, but in LG you wouldn't have a problem.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by sniper5431 View Post
      no worries, that is what this place is for correct?
      Yes sir... gotta love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      Are you sure about that? When I did it I was living in Lemon Grove and the wire feeding my house from the pole was #6 wire. When SDG&E came back to hook me back up, they laughed at me for installing 2/0 supply wire from the roof to the panel. I told him that in my business we always use wire that can handle the potential load of the device we are running it to, in this case a 200a panel, which is what 2/0 wire is rated for. He pointed out that for residential supply they use averaging and all kinds of other factors that come into play with that. Even the fact that the wire is in the air and not in a conduit makes a difference. It may be different how they do it in the City of SD, but in LG you wouldn't have a problem.
      I'm not sure, as this was told to me by a City inspector, an electrician, and my architect. But, I'm not sure any of them contacted the city to have my house/panel verified. If that's the case (and I'm not needing upgrading from pole to panel)... I'd pull a permit tomorrow!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information