• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: My PAR38.......

Acefspds is offline Registered User
      My status is: ~.~

I am:
      Annoyed

My PAR38.......

Been wanting to give led's another chance on a AIO cube I picked up not too long ago from another member on the forums. Did some research to see what was the most cost effective way to light the tank and still be able to keep some corals in it. I came across the PAR38's. From what I have seen they are ok but not really enough light for anything more then 12x12 unless you go with 2 bulbs. The PAR38's run somewhere around 60-100.00 ea.

These are what I found....

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...38-Bulb/Detail

http://www.boostled.com/products/par30-reef-lamps

http://www.ecoxotic.com/ecoxotic-par...ed-lights.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAR38-E26-E2...#ht_874wt_1267

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECORAY-PAR38...b#ht_600wt_906

Those are really the only ones I could find besides the stunner strips that are just way too much money.

Soooooooooooooo this is what I came up with.....

I call it the North Star

I have 1 x 15,000k in the center with 3x 6700 and 3x 460nm around it. All with 90 deg lenses. On the outside I have 3x 12,000k and 3 x 445nm Blue. The LED's on the outside have 60 Deg optics. The footprint is 7inx5in.

Cooled with a PC fan that is way OP. Didnt have any ways to drill holes to screw the fan on so I got a bit creative with super glue and some rubber...... I did not use an actual heat sink since I didnt think it was needed. I just used a small sheet of metal I found at home depot. So far I cant even feel any heat so i think it will be fine.

Powered by 2 High Power 3w LED drivers. One from Sure Electronics the other is a China supply/driver that is actually a bit more powerful then the sure electronic driver. All enclosed in an electrical box from Home Depot.

Whites only...

Blues only...

Full power both colors...

Power Usage...

This can be built using Cree XR-E led's for around $60-$70. I used Semi LED's so it cost me around $30-40 but most of the parts I had sitting around anyways. Cheaper then the PAR38's and puts out twice the power. Took about a day to do everything taking alot of breaks ;-)

I do not have a pic of the light over a tank yet but once I break my 55 down and set up the cube I will post pics. If anyone wants to stop by with a par meter I can hold it over a tank for readings. This should light a 20x20 with no problems..... IE: 29g cube tanks.
      Last edited by Acefspds; 02-07-2012 at 08:20 PM.
      [CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]55 Gal Uniquarium 2x54w Fiji Purple, ATI Blue+ Actinic - 100 lbs LR - Bare Bottom - Softie, LPS, SPS - Vortech MP40 [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SeaGreen"]28 Gal Nano Cube 150w 20K HQI - 30+lbs LR - 40+lbs LS - Softie Tank[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]14 Gal BioCube 8x3w LED Retro 4 x 6500k SemiLED (200lm @700mA, 60 Degree Optics ) 4 x 445nm SemiLED - Vortech MP10 - PNG True Perc Breeder w/ BTA[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SandyBrown"]10 Gal 1.8w LED Strips - FOWLR Baby Onyx Clownfish Tank [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="Sienna"]05 Gal 1w LED Strip - Bare Bottom Freshwater KilliFish Tank[/COLOR] [/B][/FONT][/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][U][SIZE="3"]Acefspds[/SIZE][/U][/B]
      [B][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]8[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]0[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR] Feedback[/SIZE][/U][/B][/CENTER]

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

hey are these dimmable leds
      by the way nice work
      Current Tank: N/A :(

I am:
      Annoyed

Yes they are. Thanks =-) This is for the tank I picked up from you.
      [CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]55 Gal Uniquarium 2x54w Fiji Purple, ATI Blue+ Actinic - 100 lbs LR - Bare Bottom - Softie, LPS, SPS - Vortech MP40 [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SeaGreen"]28 Gal Nano Cube 150w 20K HQI - 30+lbs LR - 40+lbs LS - Softie Tank[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]14 Gal BioCube 8x3w LED Retro 4 x 6500k SemiLED (200lm @700mA, 60 Degree Optics ) 4 x 445nm SemiLED - Vortech MP10 - PNG True Perc Breeder w/ BTA[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="SandyBrown"]10 Gal 1.8w LED Strips - FOWLR Baby Onyx Clownfish Tank [/COLOR]
      [COLOR="Sienna"]05 Gal 1w LED Strip - Bare Bottom Freshwater KilliFish Tank[/COLOR] [/B][/FONT][/CENTER]

[B][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]8[/COLOR]/[COLOR="yellow"]0[/COLOR]/[COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR] Feedback[/SIZE][/U][/B][/CENTER]

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

Sick! if your willing to do another one i'll def. buy one
      Current Tank: N/A :(

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by jessegarcia28 View Post
      Sick! if your willing to do another one i'll def. buy one
      Once I set the tank up I will test it out to see how it does but from the looks of it things will be fine. I will have the new cube set up beside a 28g Nano Cube with 150w HQI for comparison. The light was super easy to make. I didnt get technical with the arrangement so they are not perfect. I just did it by eye ball and by the shape of the star trying to basically fit them end to end keeping them as close as possible with enough room for wires. I have been seeing more and more led's come out made in clusters instead of rows like we see in most DIY's. Figured its worth a try. I also read some are starting to make the fixtures with "warm white" instead of "cool white" because the "cool white" mixed with the Royal blues gives a "Frosty" look (Too Blue).

slicktoppomp is offline Registered User
      My status is: So you mean i can write
      anything here??

I am:
      Down

Any updates on this? I wanna see how this thing looks over your tank. Really awesome DIY!
      [COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=4]Yea... Don't touch my Mag Float.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
      [URL="http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?86511-My-New-70-Gallon!!-)&highlight="][SIZE=3][COLOR="#800080"][B]70 Gallon[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
      [URL="http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?86906-Pinstriping&highlight="][SIZE=3][COLOR="#800080"][B]Pinstriping[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

Brian_reefragr is offline Extreme Coral Hoarder
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by slicktoppomp View Post
      Any updates on this? I wanna see how this thing looks over your tank. Really awesome DIY!

+1, great work Tim
      dream tank in progress

I will always remember my good friend Larry Montgomery

General Contractor-will work for trades

61/0/0 Feedback

A.K.A. - Chat N Run

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_reefragr View Post
      +1, great work Tim
      Quote Originally Posted by slicktoppomp View Post
      Thanks guys. I can take a pic over a tank if you like. Not over the intended tank but it can give you a visual none the less. I still have to do a few things before I can get the other tank this light is intended for up. I will see what I can do for a pic.......

I am:
      Annoyed

Well didnt take long :-p

I did a few tank shots of my NanoCube 28 with both the 150w HQI and the 34w LED's.

Tank is going on 4 years old. Softie only tank with a pair of Occ Clowns, Black Clown Goby, and a Pistol Goby pair.

150w HQI - Bulb is over a year old.

Lifted the hood and turned off the 150 HQI. Did the best I could taking the pics while holding the box I built for the light. It isnt perfect but you get the idea....... Almost right at water level with the different optics the spread isnt too bad..... The real test will be actually leaving it over a tank with corals in it. Again I do not have a PAR meter but would be willing to take the measurements if someone around has one. This tank is a little bigger then the tank the light is intended for. The way it looks it looks like it will be enough light to house SPS at least right under the light.

Last edited by Acefspds; 02-15-2012 at 04:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information