Thread: LED lighting, group buy possibility

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

LED lighting, group buy possibility

Okay folks, here's my "possible" group buy;

The "why" of it all;
      I'm thinking to swap out my 120W LED panels (see info in my signature on the LEDs themselves) which are built from (112) 1watt leds. I had them custom built to order, and they work GREAT... yet, I still want more shimmer. The LEDs I currently have cost $240 once shipping is paid, and all fees (like Western Union) are taken care of. The thought here, is to sell the ones I have and order new units with 3watt LEDs spaced further apart to obtain that 'wanted' shimmer.

(click on any picture thumbnail for full-size view)

The purchase;
      It would be an LED panel, that is 24 x 5.5 x 2.5" in size (we'll call this LIGHT A)

The output, is (45) 3 watt LEDs. Or, 135 watts. (w/ 90° optics)
      The light has built in fans, that are thermo controlled (only run when the light gets warm/hot)

The light will have a custom configuration of LEDs;
      (24) 12,000K
      (12) 460nm (Blue)
      (12) 420nm (Purple... or U.V.)

The 420nm LEDs are more costly then what most lights come with, so the price is a tad more than a standard order light. Most lights on the market today come with 14K white and only 453nm blue (or similar) and cover less of the needed spectrum. Hence this custom color configuration.

The LEDs are controlled two ways if desired;
      OPTION 1: with a dimmable controller (add $150)
      OPTION 2: no controller, only via dual 110V power cords and a timer.

Here is a picture of the controller;

Here's the just of it;
      I need to order a minimum of 6, and I'd take four of them. So, I need to take up the slack with someone else buying 2, or two people buying 1 each. OR, if there were more then 6 ordered I'm sure we could get another price break. Here's the pricing;

4 or more; $250 (add $150 per light for dimmable control)
      6 or more; $225 (add $150 per light for dimmable control)

..etc
      (don't forget to add; $80 per light in shipping)

For those with 36" wide tanks, you can order two of the 12" wide lights (24 x 3W or 72watts each);
      $200 non dimmable
      $240 with on-light dial dimmers (not a controller)

I've not tested this light, but I've been ordering LEDs and HID products from this company for the last 4yrs. They are outstanding when it comes to customer service and knowledge. Some of you already know a light made by them for a local USA seller, but I'm not allowed to say their name in comparison.

Lastly;
      You might be asking yourself; "will this work on my nano... or my 20gal...etc". Of course it will... if you span a 24" space above your tank. BUT, you'd need to make sure an order the dimmer to make sure your not burning the corals. This "control", will also allow you to mount the light above a bigger tank in the future, or better... a deeper tank. Of course if you already have something like a 48" length tank, you'd need to order two lights to cover end to end... and so on. If your tank is less than 24", we can order a smaller sized LED for your needs in this "group buy" (see 12" light prices above), just talk to me about your tank size (in a PM please!) and I'll get a quote for your specific needs.

Let me know if your interested, or have any questions!
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 02-07-2012 at 08:42 AM.

jt_milstead is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: Tired of being let down by the
      Chargers

I am:
      Crying

If you buy more than one, do you have to buy a different controller for each fixture, or can they all be controlled by 1 controller?
      J.T. Milstead
      "Play Today, Build Tomorrow, And Pray For The Rest"

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by jt_milstead View Post
      If you buy more than one, do you have to buy a different controller for each fixture, or can they all be controlled by 1 controller?
      Sadly, one controller "controls" ONE light. So each light, needs it's own controller.

... pretty lame, but... it's the way the light is built. To use each light individually. Which ultimately gives you more control over a tank and it's inhabitants. You could always have more light over SPS (brighter) and less over softies or the sand bed...etc. (I'm sure you see the endless possibilities here)
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 02-03-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Chargers

I am:
      Crying

I think this would be a good option for a smaller tank, but for my upgrade I would need 3 fixtures....
      J.T. Milstead

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by jt_milstead View Post
      I think this would be a good option for a smaller tank, but for my upgrade I would need 3 fixtures....
      ... and I need to order 4 for my 240gal. It's a good option for any sized tank (in my opinion).

I am:
      Geeky

BY THE WAY....

I'm researching different options from other manufacturers overseas. Yet, I trust the people I've been working with for so long. So, I'll post up as I find more information.

Already, I've found a source for (multiple) panels that can be controlled with one controller.

... I'll keep this thread updated with my findings as I iron them out.

Chargers

I am:
      Crying

I will be monitoring your thread for sure...
      J.T. Milstead

phillyblunt is offline Registered User
      My status is: see below

I am:
      Happy

I might be in for 1 @ 225. Just let me know. Who makes the chips?

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by phillyblunt View Post
      I might be in for 1 @ 225. Just let me know. Who makes the chips?
      Bridgelux. Same chips that are in my current "in use" LED lighting. Add 30% for Cree.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Can the controller for these lights be "controlled" externally? Much like the AquaIlluminations fixtures? They accept a 0v - 10v control voltage for dimming.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      Can the controller for these lights be "controlled" externally? Much like the AquaIlluminations fixtures? They accept a 0v - 10v control voltage for dimming.
      Not sure, haven't gotten that far into their specs... nor do I have any to test with. I do know, their cords would need to be altered (re-wired) for whatever device your trying to use that didn't come WITH the units.

I am:
      Geeky

I've promised to continue researching this "buy", and getting the goods for a decent price.
      And in that process, I've found many options. Most of those options are something that don't benefit the reef keeper or the tank inhabitants. I'm a no-frills kind of guy and won't pay for the "glitter" of a sale. So I do my due diligence up front to save on those costs. In the process, I hope to not confuse anyone with my posts... lots of info, and jibber jabber .

Just know, I'm after a light that produces the coloring to make the corals grow, and "pop" with color. I'm after an LED panel that gives off great shimmer, and has the options we all desire. It's as simple as that.

What I've found, is another manufacturer (we'll call it "light B") that has a fixture capable of one controller per multiple panels.
      ... however, they've already mentioned not having the custom LED colors. So I'm asking, for a price to do so or if their willing. I'm not interested in a light, that can't produce deep water coloring (UV - Purple) or that won't enhance the colors of the corals themselves. Hence the need for "special" LEDs and custom orders.

They make 3 sizes. (For this comparison, I'll choose a similar size to my "LIGHT A" originally posted)

So far, non-customized pricing (12,000K white and 460nm Blue, 1:1 ratio, 60° optics)
      LIGHT B - 120W (40x3) :: $252.00 (add $150 per controller. Controls up to 10 panels!)
      ... this light is 20 x 9 x 2.5" in size

Their other sizes are;
      168W (56x3) - 26" long = $308
      240W (80x3) - 36.5" long = $390

The controller has many options for dimming, and simulating sunrise and sunset.
      ... don't forget... this company says their controller can "control" up to 10 panels simultaneously!

THANKS for the FEEDBACK so far, and the INTEREST in getting your order "in" for a light, or two. Just know that we aren't ready to order just yet, and I'd need the money UP FRONT to place the order (I'm not rich, and can't front anyone the cash). Once we're ready and have chosen a light to order (again, I appreciate the comments and opinions) I'll be sure to make a final post about the light and all it's features... as well, all the pricing and what it takes to get one of these for yourself. PLEASE BE PATIENT!!!
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 02-07-2012 at 09:15 AM.

I am:
      Geeky

GOOD NEWS on the below information...
      ... they are willing to do the custom LED color order!

However, at a cost of $60 more per light (see total prices below);

I also asked if they could put a switch in, so 10 of the white LEDs could be turned off at any given time. However, they mentioned the controller will "control" each separate color of the panel. So for example, you can turn the whites to 50% output, and the Blue and UV would remain at 100%. This gives ultimate control of how you want your tank to look, and the output of light to the corals. VERY NICE option via the controller. This is also good for taking pictures of your tank, or making the coral colors POP when guests are admiring your reef (even though too blue for me, many reefers like the more 'blue' look and the controller will provide that option at any given time or you can put that into your programming schedule).

The controller for this light or lights, is WIRELESS (within 20meters of the light fixtures)

LIGHT B ...(shipped, with tax and transfer fees)
      120W (40x3); 20" long = $252 +60 +80 = $392
      168W (56x3) - 26" long = $308 +60 +80 = $448
      240W (80x3) - 36.5" long = $390 +60 +80 = $530

I'd be ordering (4) of the 120W, with one controller.
      LED COLORS: (20) 12,000K white : (10) 460nm Blue : (10) 420 Purple or UV - per 120W panel.

Anyone else???

NOTE: Those with a 5' tank, could order two of the 26" long fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      I've promised to continue researching this "buy", and getting the goods for a decent price.
      And in that process, I've found many options. Most of those options are something that don't benefit the reef keeper or the tank inhabitants. I'm a no-frills kind of guy and won't pay for the "glitter" of a sale. So I do my due diligence up front to save on those costs. In the process, I hope to not confuse anyone with my posts... lots of info, and jibber jabber .

Just know, I'm after a light that produces the coloring to make the corals grow, and "pop" with color. I'm after an LED panel that gives off great shimmer, and has the options we all desire. It's as simple as that.

What I've found, is another manufacturer (we'll call it "light B") that has a fixture capable of one controller per multiple panels.
      ... however, they've already mentioned not having the custom LED colors. So I'm asking, for a price to do so or if their willing. I'm not interested in a light, that can't produce deep water coloring (UV - Purple) or that won't enhance the colors of the corals themselves. Hence the need for "special" LEDs and custom orders.

They make 3 sizes. (For this comparison, I'll choose a similar size to my "LIGHT A" originally posted)

So far, non-customized pricing (12,000K white and 460nm Blue, 1:1 ratio, 60° optics)
      LIGHT B - 120W (40x3) :: $252.00 (add $150 per controller. Controls up to 10 panels!)
      ... this light is 20 x 9 x 2.5" in size

Their other sizes are;
      168W (56x3) - 26" long = $308
      240W (80x3) - 36.5" long = $390

The "Wireless" controller has many options for dimming, and simulating sunrise and sunset.
      ... don't forget... this company says their controller can "control" up to 10 panels simultaneously!

THANKS for the FEEDBACK so far, and the INTEREST in getting your order "in" for a light, or two. Just know that we aren't ready to order just yet, and I'd need the money UP FRONT to place the order (I'm not rich, and can't front anyone the cash). Once we're ready and have chosen a light to order (again, I appreciate the comments and opinions) I'll be sure to make a final post about the light and all it's features... as well, all the pricing and what it takes to get one of these for yourself. PLEASE BE PATIENT!!!
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 02-09-2012 at 08:42 AM.

I am:
      Geeky

I updated the LIGHT B option post, as I forgot to mention the controller is WIRELESS.
      ... and as I noted, can control up to 10 light fixtures.

skratchiechan is offline Registered User
      My status is: Hmmm

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      I updated the LIGHT B option post, as I forgot to mention the controller is WIRELESS.
      ... and as I noted, can control up to 10 light fixtures.
      so it comes with the controller Johnny? when are you ordering? i will be taking 2 of the 26"
      do they have warranty like the other company you ordered from?
      Last edited by skratchiechan; 02-09-2012 at 01:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information