• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Best way to attach frags

Stephen is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Best way to attach frags

So im looking to start attaching frags to my rock work and was wondering what the best way to do so is. Should i just get gel super glue or should i use the epoxy? Also what would be the best way to attack a coral to the back wall of my tank.
      Thanks

bpro32 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

A combo of super glue and aquamend is best.

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

This works every time for me...
      Take steel brush. Brush clean surface of live rock where frag is to be attached. The surface must be free of algae,detritus, etc. Also, the steel brush will "rough up" the surface, allowing the glue to adhere better. This is all done without removing the rock from the water. Next, remove the frag from the water, and do the same thing to the surface of the frag that is to be glued. If it is a frag plug, I usually just dremel off the peg. I also will crisscross score the surface of the plug/disc, again, so the glue will adhere better, especially for larger pieces. Rinse off any dust made by the steel brush or dremel. Next, take an appropriate amount of Aquamend epoxy (depending on size of frag) and knead it thoroughly. Pat dry the surface of the frag to be glued with a paper towel. Add superglue gel to this surface. Squish the epoxy ball onto the superglue gelled surface. Add superglue gel to the opposite side of the epoxy ball. Place frag into water. A skin will form over the superglue gel. Firmly squish the epoxy ball onto the already cleaned surface of the live rock. You may need to slightly rotate the frag as you press, so that the skin on the superglue gel is broken. This will ensure proper contact between aquamend and live rock. Hold for anywhere from 5 to 30 or more seconds (again, depending on frag size). Done!
      Don't touch the frag for at least 24 hours, so that the aquamend fully cures.
      HTH
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

bpro32 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My answer feels so inadequate with Peters right below mine.

I am:
      Geeky

LOL... I cut and pasted that from a psot of mine on RC. Did you think I can really type that fast??
      Peter

Stephen is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

awsome thanks. Now if only i can make sure the turbo snails dont touch them lol, they are the whole reason for wanting to glue them down. Im tired of picking frags off of the sand bed

I am:
      Geeky

If you follow my instructions, even a turbo snail will bounce right off of them.
      Peter

SD Actuary is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
      This works every time for me...
      Take steel brush. Brush clean surface of live rock where frag is to be attached. The surface must be free of algae,detritus, etc. Also, the steel brush will "rough up" the surface, allowing the glue to adhere better. This is all done without removing the rock from the water. Next, remove the frag from the water, and do the same thing to the surface of the frag that is to be glued. If it is a frag plug, I usually just dremel off the peg. I also will crisscross score the surface of the plug/disc, again, so the glue will adhere better, especially for larger pieces. Rinse off any dust made by the steel brush or dremel. Next, take an appropriate amount of Aquamend epoxy (depending on size of frag) and knead it thoroughly. Pat dry the surface of the frag to be glued with a paper towel. Add superglue gel to this surface. Squish the epoxy ball onto the superglue gelled surface. Add superglue gel to the opposite side of the epoxy ball. Place frag into water. A skin will form over the superglue gel. Firmly squish the epoxy ball onto the already cleaned surface of the live rock. You may need to slightly rotate the frag as you press, so that the skin on the superglue gel is broken. This will ensure proper contact between aquamend and live rock. Hold for anywhere from 5 to 30 or more seconds (again, depending on frag size). Done!
      Don't touch the frag for at least 24 hours, so that the aquamend fully cures.
      HTH
      I want this on a t-shirt

Perfect description!

I am:
      Geeky

I purposely subscribed to the thread where I originally posted that so I can find it easily and just cut and paste.
      Peter

Bananahands is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Here's a step by step, including pictures. Pretty much the same as what Peter said, minus the steel brush, which I've never even thought of. I'll have to try that!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...pic=148730&hl=

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information