• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Dec 2011 - Zanclus cornutus AKA Moorish Idol

jt_milstead is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: Tired of being let down by the
      Chargers

I am:
      Crying

Dec 2011 - Zanclus cornutus AKA Moorish Idol

December fish of the month is another one of my favorite fish, the Moorish Idol......

The Moorish Idol is also commonly known in Hawaii as "Kihikihi" which means "curves," "corners," or "zigzags," and refers to its shape and color pattern. It is the only member of the family Zanclidae, and a very close relative of the Tangs or Surgeonfish. One of the most widespread fish, it can be found throughout the Indian Ocean, Red Sea, and all of the tropical Pacific. Wild specimens can attain a length of 7 inches, but 4 inches is more likely in the aquarium.

Often glimpsed alone, moorish idols will also form pairs or occasionally small schools. They are diurnal fish, sticking to the bottom of the reef at night and adopting a drab coloration. Like the butterflyfishes, moorish idols mate for life; as juveniles, they are more apt to school. Adult males tend to be aggressive toward one another.

Moorish idols are pelagic spawners; that is, eggs and sperm are released in midwater and the fertilized eggs are left to drift away with the currents. The impressive range of these fish may be explained by the unusually long larval stage; the fish reach a length of 7.5 cm before becoming free-swimming juveniles.

The Moorish Idol tends to be very peaceful. Due to its size, schooling nature, and need for swimming space, it requires a large aquarium of at least 125 gallons. As its beauty is most evident while swimming, giving it adequate room is well rewarded. It is compatible with most fish and larger invertebrates, but should not be kept with any polyps or corals, which it will eat. Small invertebrates may be threatened as well.

The Moorish Idol is a very difficult fish to feed. Live rock with large amounts of algae and sponges on which it can feed will help it acclimate. Then offer a varied diet of finely chopped meaty items, mysis shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, Spirulina, and algae. It should be fed several times a day.

Perhaps the most graceful of all marine fish, for many hobbyists, it is also one of the most difficult fish to keep because it is so difficult to feed. For all but the most expert hobbyist, it is better admired in the ocean or in a public aquarium rather than in a home tank.

I personally have had a couple Moorish Idols. I found that they can be very strong eaters, but they did best with a food that has sponge in them, and if you can get them to eat Spectrum Pellets, the odds of long term survival is much better.

Last edited by Yolo; 12-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
      J.T. Milstead
      "Play Today, Build Tomorrow, And Pray For The Rest"

sushibug is offline Registered User
      My status is: Anywhere

I am:
      Tired

the pic you have of the moorish idol shows gsp, ricordea, zoas, and acans? the description says he isn't reef safe. care to share more info?

rodbuster229 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Chillin

I am:
      Hungry

Some will nip and some won't, I had one that would nip at my zoas but I've seen some on some in some really nice reef tanks with no problems

jt_milstead is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: Tired of being let down by the
      Chargers

I am:
      Crying

The top picture was my MI. They can and at times will eat corals. MY first one tried to eat a Crocea Clam, and the clam closed up on it. Im home a lot so i feed a lot. I find if you feed more they are less likely to eat corals/clams, but you just never know.
      J.T. Milstead
      "Play Today, Build Tomorrow, And Pray For The Rest"

Brad52 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The fish is very beautiful and different from others. The colors are very attractive to see. Good information thank to share.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information