• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Labrador Retriever

OceanBeach1502 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Aggressive dogs are serious. If he bites the wrong person...you are in a world of trouble legally and financially. Because you adopted that dog, you are now liable for him. I have professionally worked with aggressive dogs for a long time. The best option is humane euthanasia. Living in a tiny 3x3 is no quality of life. Most studies have found that dogs that have "been worked with" or "trained to be nice again" will still bite someone. Once a dog knows the reaction from a bite is to stop whatever is freaking the dog out, they know they can just continue to bite. I am sorry to tell you but Luke is a dangerous dog and a huge liability for you and anyone else. Please contact me if you have any questions. I am a certified euthanasia technician and have been doing this for a very long time.

619andyp is offline Registered User
      My status is: good

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by OceanBeach1502 View Post
      Aggressive dogs are serious. If he bites the wrong person...you are in a world of trouble legally and financially. Because you adopted that dog, you are now liable for him. I have professionally worked with aggressive dogs for a long time. The best option is humane euthanasia. Living in a tiny 3x3 is no quality of life. Most studies have found that dogs that have "been worked with" or "trained to be nice again" will still bite someone. Once a dog knows the reaction from a bite is to stop whatever is freaking the dog out, they know they can just continue to bite. I am sorry to tell you but Luke is a dangerous dog and a huge liability for you and anyone else. Please contact me if you have any questions. I am a certified euthanasia technician and have been doing this for a very long time.
      Wanted to clear up that Luke is no longer in a 3x3 pen. I would never keep an animal in anything like that. The original owners kept him in that. Since I adopted him he has had free rein of my huge backyard. Wish I could bring him in but he would eat the cats, and maybe us too.

XO PRESENTS is offline SDMAS Staff Member / MOD
      My status is: Never doubt that a small group
      of thoughtful, committed
      citizens can change the world;
      indeed, it's the only thing
      that ever has.

I am:
      Tired

I don't mean to upset you, but please reevaluate things... the dog has proven to be aggressive and society does not need anymore.. on the other hand.. if you are 100% .. and that I mean 100% sure that he can change and be rehabilitated... I would keep him, train him and re home him.. just do the right thing.. good luck..
      Ron
      Attentively,

Ron Luong

SDR Marketing Director / SDMAS Board of Directors

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Investing in our SDR Community www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?89507-SanDiegoReefs.com-Giving-back-to-our-community

My Crazy Obsession
      www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?96495-Xo-signature-experience-s-obsession-continues

Show Some Love
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?75529-XO-PRESENTS-feedback

Who Got Tats? wwwhttp://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...-Off-Your-Tats.

OceanBeach1502 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The fact that you are worried he will attack you, who has been caring for him... and your girlfriend, that says enough in my opinion. Please don't risk it anymore and prolong what really should happen. Maybe doggy heaven is the best place for Luke. Aside from what you will have to deal with when/if he bites someone, he will have to legally sit at the county shelter (the "pound") and go through a bite quarantine. No one will be able to play, love, snuggle or do anything with him for 2 weeks. After that he will have to sit around the shelter until the courts are done dealing with it and we all know that takes months. I know it sounds like I am thinking worst case, but I have dealt with this too many times and know exactly what happens. I think it is best for you, your family and Luke if he goes humanely to doggy heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by 619andyp View Post
      Wanted to clear up that Luke is no longer in a 3x3 pen. I would never keep an animal in anything like that. The original owners kept him in that. Since I adopted him he has had free rein of my huge backyard. Wish I could bring him in but he would eat the cats, and maybe us too.

AquaticLifeTropicals is offline Site Sponsor - LFS
      My status is: Covered In Salt

I am:
      Piratey

Personally, I think everyone's just a bit too quick on the kill response. Just because a dog's got a bit of "spunk" really doesn't justify killing it. Unless this thing is hunting people down to bite (RARE), he's likely displaying some form of behavioral dominance.... apparently something most people aren't able to understand or watch for. Too many dogs are euthanized just because of a "nip", a little bite... a little blood... so what! The real problem? People become AFRAID of the dog. If they just grew a pair and properly demonstrated dominance over the mut, you would cut the aggression in half if not better. If you have the money for protection style training, it's likely it can be cut out entirely. Might as well utilize that aggression for something.

Another thing: Biting the vet? How is that not uncommon? An aggressive dog should be brought in a muzzle. The veterinarians should have muzzled it if there wasn't one available. This whole thing is a mess. Sorry for your loss.
      Last edited by AquaticLifeTropicals; 01-27-2012 at 01:16 AM.

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by SDAquariumRock View Post
      Personally, I think everyone's just a bit too quick on the kill response. Just because a dog's got a bit of "spunk" really doesn't justify killing it. Unless this thing is hunting people down to bite (RARE), he's likely displaying some form of behavioral dominance.... apparently something most people aren't able to understand or watch for. Too many dogs are euthanized just because of a "nip", a little bite... a little blood... so what! The real problem? People become AFRAID of the dog. If they just grew a pair and properly demonstrated dominance over the mut, you would cut the aggression in half if not better. If you have the money for protection style training, it's likely it can be cut out entirely. Might as well utilize that aggression for something.

Another thing: Biting the vet? How is that not uncommon? An aggressive dog should be brought in a muzzle. The veterinarians should have muzzled it if there wasn't one available. This whole thing is a mess. Sorry for your loss.
      He wasn't my dog when he bit the vet and I can't believe the owner, knowing Luke was aggressive, didn't have him muzzled first. What were they thinking? That is what got Luke on death row at the animal shelter before I adopted him.

I wish I could grow a pair and not be afraid of him but Luke is big and he bites really hard. That is why I need help. I'll be calling Justin's people on Monday and hopefully work something out.

zfan4life is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Plus 1....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Acefspds is offline Registered User
      My status is: ~.~

I am:
      Annoyed

Sounds like you need to show him he is not in control. Right now he knows he rules you and anyone who is around him. Be dominate over him and he will learn. We had a really aggressive Pit. Put him in his place and he will learn. My pit bit me twice. After the second one he got a taste of how dominate I am. Once he figured out what happened when he goes to bite and didnt wanna do it anymore. Even a little nip needs to be taken as a bite and has to be dealt with.

Vets should be aware of the possibility of an animal biting them and taking a career with that in mind they shouldnt be so quick to put a dog down for biting them. They are gonna get bit.

I am:
      Happy

I still haven't found much help for Luke. Almost everyone tells me to have him put down. I found a trainer, Shelter Dogs to Dream Dogs, who might be able to help him, but they said I'm not a good match for Luke since I don't trust him and I'm scared of him. I need to find him a new home ASAP or he is going back to the shelter where they will put him down immediately (due to his bite record). If you have experience and are willing to work with a professional trainer, PM me, or reply to this post. He is getting worse everyday so there isn't much time left for him.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by offroad537 View Post
      usely when a dog bits someone they put it down. so im thinking he was just playing. labs arent the kind of dog who bites. i have a black lab and she never does that only when she plays and its not very hard. if i were the owners i would work with him.
      Incorrect. The "norm" for a lab is to be carefree... yet, I had a 110lb Chocolate that'd take your leg off if you looked at him cross-eyed. Best watch dog I ever had. He bit often, and if provoked by those who he thought to be a threat. Even bit the mailman (long story). He died of cancer in his nose at 14yrs old.

I found Luke a forever home. Thanks everyone!
      I read this... and wondered if it'd last.

Update on poor Luke. He has bitten again. He bit the vet and was turned over to the county animal shelter for being aggressive. The shelter said he was extremely aggressive and needed to be put down. They said he was a terror to the staff and a danger to everyone he came in contact with. They guaranteed he would bite again. I felt so bad for him. I couldn't let him die. I went down to the shelter and they reluctantly let me adopt him for $80. I am trying to work with Luke and have now witnessed his aggression first hand. He has tried to bite my girlfriend and another girl without any warnings or growling. He is a very big boy and is definitely capable of severe damage. Extremely dangerous. His aggression seems to be a dominance issue. I really hope I can help him. Part of me wants to drop him back off at the shelter to be euthanized. I am an animal lover so it is hard. I won't even eat animals (including fishies), nor would I buy any animal products (such as leather, which makes finding shoes fun). I really hope I can save him. I know most would have him put down. Such a shame.
      Are you a dog person? Owned them before? Large or small? Is he currently housed with another docile dog??? ... it sounds like Luke is just nervous, and nervous people are making him nip or bite. I'm no expert, but a biting dog can be controlled if it's not mental, or an illness. Of course, it takes work... and not just a muzzle.

I have taken him to a few places. They all said they wouldn't deal with a dog with his level of aggression and to have him put down. I will keep looking. I am sure there is some good, affordable trainers who can deal with this kind of aggression.
      Then they are lame trainers, and just scared of conflict. Any trainer worth their weight, will work the dog into submission. In fact, I had to muzzle a couple dogs when taking them to obedience training... and they were labs. But they still got trained. Any trainer, that says to put the dog down in an idiot (in my book), and too quick to judge.

100% agree. And my Choc. Lab would tear the vets arm off if he didn't muzzle it. It was interesting to watch to say the least. I always had to hold his head... even with the muzzle. BUT, he never would nip at me. Hmmm. A vet that doesn't muzzle a known "biter". Makes me wonder.

I still haven't found much help for Luke. Almost everyone tells me to have him put down. I found a trainer, Shelter Dogs to Dream Dogs, who might be able to help him, but they said I'm not a good match for Luke since I don't trust him and I'm scared of him. I need to find him a new home ASAP or he is going back to the shelter where they will put him down immediately (due to his bite record). If you have experience and are willing to work with a professional trainer, PM me, or reply to this post. He is getting worse everyday so there isn't much time left for him.
      PHEW! a trainer willing to look into Luke. AND with GOOD commentary on you not being a good fit. I agree!!

... I might be willing to take on Luke. PM me your info, and I'll explain my situation for the dog.

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      I might be willing to take on Luke. PM me your info, and I'll explain my situation for the dog.
      PM sent

paulyboy18 is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

For everyone that thinks he shouldn't be put down, then help him adopt it out, or adopt it yourself and prove us all wrong... I'm sure you all will think this dog should be put down if he goes on to bite someones young daughter or son... HUGE HUGE HUGE LIABILITY this dog is... Furthermore I have nothing but thanks that 619 is putting forth so much effort to help this dog...
      Last edited by paulyboy18; 02-16-2012 at 04:14 PM.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

PM sent
      Got it, and I'll call tomorrow when I've got some time.

--------------------
      ... about those and their "LIABILITY". I'm so tired of hearing how a dog, can bite... and the owner is liable. NO KIDDING?! Talk about beating a dead horse already. Of course, any dog that bites a human will get labeled as "a problem". Just like people are so quick to judge others, or sue if wronged. Worse, are those who ignore posted signs "beware of dog" and then still sue when bit for coming through a gate or into the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by paulyboy18 View Post
      For everyone that thinks he shouldn't be put down, then help him adopt it out, or adopt it yourself and prove us all wrong...

I'm sure you all will think this dog should be put down if he goes on to bite someones young daughter or son... .............
      What do you think's happening here?! Sheeeesh.

.... and, of course I have an opinion on when a child is bit. There's two sides to every coin, and when a child is bit it's a sad day. I'd never, ever wish it upon them. ... BUT, was the child told to be cautious of pets? (...another whole can of worms here!). Did the parents teach the child to be cautious of fire, just as they would an unknown pet? What if a cat bit the child, or scraped them with their claws? Should that cat be put down too? Does a child walk up to a dog, as they would a pet snake? ... I mean, come on ... a bit overboard on the liability thing, let alone the "let's put the dog down" since it's bit... let me count... 3 or so? And... do you all know the EXACT details of why? NO! They've never been explained to you. So let's not judge this dogs character just yet.

I watched (large) woman, step on my dog with heavy boots. The dog yelped, turned, and bit her on the knee. She understood... and walked away. YET, that same woman... walked up to my trailer (when camped), where my dog was leashed and I was away. She again, got nipped. That same dog, won't let her around him. He'll bite her again if she comes near. Did I worry about my dog being a liability, because she didn't learn the first time? Nope. I just hoped she learned the second time, and once i told her... "stay away from my dog!"

Dogs DO for a reason. They are triggered by something, or someone. A person's demeanor, a physical attribute, an article of clothing (big hat for example), a noise, a bad memory...etc.etc. It's not always the dog's fault, and more often the person for how they've handled or treated the dog or even the situation they put them in. I see it all the time. It's sad. Not everyone should own a dog.

Let's hope we can find Luke a home, and good care and proper training. I'll do my best to see if I can help him out.

FOR THE HECK OF IT, here's my current yellow lab I rescued from a shelter;

And my previous Choc. (that was the protector of me and the house), and his sidekick... another rescue;

They look so menacing, don't they?! Yet, all of them would bite you if put in an awkward position... guaranteed.

rodbuster229 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Chillin

I am:
      Hungry

They look so menacing, don't they?! Yet, all of them would bite you if put in an awkward position... guaranteed.

i can vouch for that!! lol

I am:
      Happy

Trying one last time, for Luke. If anyone is willing to work with a professional trainer, and would like to own Luke, PM me your contact info.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information