• + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Site Improvements

ajn81 is offline Registered User
      My status is: ....

I am:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
      Oh, yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean changing old posts.

When you are on the home page... under the "Recent Threads" section: thread title, user name, and date are listed, but prefixes are not, nor are forum titles.

So, if the thread just says "Purple Mushrooms" I can't tell if they are FS, WTB, or just a showoff thread in the member's tank section. The prefix, or even the forum the thread is in, would give a lot more info.
      Agreed, also along these same lines, I posted this one a while back:

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53513

but of course nothing was ever done to fix it.

Yolo is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Question: LOUNGE Etiquette

So how "loose" should Moderation be?

1) Do absolutely nothing, let the language filters do their thing?

2) Maintain Terms of Service (which will be updated with input from users).

3) Let the MODS (when selected) figure it out.

Opinions? I was thinking the LOUNGE (with a proper disclaimer) might be the best place to post nonsense with the exception that your Mother, Employer, Wife, or Child should be able to read it. Unless specific intervention is requested, let it go a bit? Thoughts? Run a pilot test? I can guess some peoples will test boundries.

On my Fishing Forum we all use our real names and see each other on the boats. Never had to edit or Mod anything since 2005.
      SW 150g Reef w/Livestock

I really love arguing with strangers on the internet...NOT...be cool."
      "I was Yolo before it got weird."
      http://www.sandiegofishingclub.com

bbandu is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      My status is: .

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I know that I am not a premium member but if my opinion counts this is what I think.

1. There are users on here that are minors so I think that the language filters should always be on.

2. All post should be IAW the "Maintain Terms of Service" that all registered users agree to when signing up. Whatever they end up being after that update.
      Its all about MTS
      Larry

150g, 60 gal sump, G3 Protein Skimmer, 2 Koralia Evo 1400's,2 Koralia Evo 750's, 20g ATO, 3 - 120w LarryM Led's configured 35 - 16000K, 28 - 14000K, 28 453nm blue and 28, 468nm blue.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75141

60g cube, 20g sump, Bubble Magus curve 5 skimmer with 2 mp10's and 120w led.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...00-60g-upgrade

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Yolo View Post
      So how "loose" should Moderation be?

1) Do absolutely nothing, let the language filters do their thing?

2) Maintain Terms of Service (which will be updated with input from users).

3) Let the MODS (when selected) figure it out.

Opinions? I was thinking the LOUNGE (with a proper disclaimer) might be the best place to post nonsense with the exception that your Mother, Employer, Wife, or Child should be able to read it. Unless specific intervention is requested, let it go a bit? Thoughts? Run a pilot test? I can guess some peoples will test boundries.

On my Fishing Forum we all use our real names and see each other on the boats. Never had to edit or Mod anything since 2005.
      I'm one for strict moderation and following the rules set forth.
      ... I don't like "grey" areas, nor do I like people who test them. There's no reason for it, unless it's pure selfishness or personal gain (same thing).

Once everyone gets used to the new moderation, it'll settle down and MODs will ultimately have LESS work to do. If you don't MOD in that manner, and just let it roll with the punches... users will never know the boundaries, and some will get hurt when stepping over them for the slightest. But what's to say that person, and another got fair treatment? There isn't, unless rules and boundaries are set... and Moderated, and adhered to.

... Set the filters to full tilt (bad language isn't needed to represent a Reef site), and infract those who try to circumvent (IE: *** to W-T-F) etc.

Sorry, but... I was raised strict. And I like structure. This era needs more of it!!

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

I'm ready for a NO-SHOW list!!!

... thinking out loud;
      I'm tired of those who say they'll show up to buy a frag, and DON'T SHOW UP or don't even call to inform they can't make it. It's RUDE, and un-nerving. I take time out of my day, to make sure I'm home when I say I will be... and all for a $5, $10, $20 frag to be sold. It's often, that someone will be late, and still only say; "so what do you have for $5?" To top it off... they don't bring a baggie or some sort of container.

We need a list, that has a "No Show PolicyGuideline". For example, if you no-show to a seller, and don't call or make some lame excuse as to why you couldn't make it... you get put up on the list. Once your name is on the list, the next time you no-show... you get another tick by your name. This way, when people like myself get a PM or reply to a for-sale posting... we can check the list against the person requesting to buy and know WHO we are dealing with.

... sorry to rant, as I know this probably wouldn't make it as an "improvement"... but, it sure would be nice to have.

AND, (for you buyers) quit texting a hundred questions. Pick up the phone, dial, and talk!! (texting is for junior high and high schoolers). Let alone, those who text "I'm out front". Anyone ever ring the doorbell anymore?? (oh wait, I don't have one... then friggin' KNOCK!!!!)

AND (while I'm ranting), I notice some people not accurately reporting their feedback ratings. Either we should do away with it, or MODERATE it!! I'm tired of people manipulating the system for their own benefit.

... Time for bed, I'm cranky

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

Welcome to selling stuff online... you sound grumpy like me

Couple things I've learned that might help.

Only schedule times that you would have been home anyways.. that way if they flake, no biggie.

Ask them to bring exact change and their own container. I am neither a bank nor a grocery store, especially for inexpensive little stuff.

Write stuff in their feedback thread. I know I flake once or twice on people... totally admitted it, had zero excuse... just forgot. Worked it out with the seller. Not sure I want to be tagged on my SDR permanent record for it though

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      I'm ready for a NO-SHOW list!!!

... thinking out loud;
      I'm tired of those who say they'll show up to buy a frag, and DON'T SHOW UP or don't even call to inform they can't make it. It's RUDE, and un-nerving. I take time out of my day, to make sure I'm home when I say I will be... and all for a $5, $10, $20 frag to be sold. It's often, that someone will be late, and still only say; "so what do you have for $5?" To top it off... they don't bring a baggie or some sort of container.

We need a list, that has a "No Show PolicyGuideline". For example, if you no-show to a seller, and don't call or make some lame excuse as to why you couldn't make it... you get put up on the list. Once your name is on the list, the next time you no-show... you get another tick by your name. This way, when people like myself get a PM or reply to a for-sale posting... we can check the list against the person requesting to buy and know WHO we are dealing with.

... sorry to rant, as I know this probably wouldn't make it as an "improvement"... but, it sure would be nice to have.

AND, (for you buyers) quit texting a hundred questions. Pick up the phone, dial, and talk!! (texting is for junior high and high schoolers). Let alone, those who text "I'm out front". Anyone ever ring the doorbell anymore?? (oh wait, I don't have one... then friggin' KNOCK!!!!)

AND (while I'm ranting), I notice some people not accurately reporting their feedback ratings. Either we should do away with it, or MODERATE it!! I'm tired of people manipulating the system for their own benefit.

... Time for bed, I'm cranky
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

Ars3nal619 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Norv has to go !

I am:
      Angry

How about a regional area in the heading of something to be sold. Everyone is always posting where's location, but some sellers don't feel comfortable putting their address or city out there until they have met a few reefers.

With that being said, you could put 4 regional areas in the heading ( north county, east county, the beaches and south bay) or something similar. That way if you like what is being offered in the sold sections, you know what part of town the item is located and whether or not you are willing to travel.

splitkooks is offline Registered User
      My status is: Building my 'nem farm

I am:
      Piratey

Embedding of either popular mainstream video sites, Vimeo or Youtube within a post. I know that in the latest versions of this forum software there are capabilities to do so...

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Ars3nal619 View Post
      How about a regional area in the heading of something to be sold. Everyone is always posting where's location, but some sellers don't feel comfortable putting their address or city out there until they have met a few reefers.

With that being said, you could put 4 regional areas in the heading ( north county, east county, the beaches and south bay) or something similar. That way if you like what is being offered in the sold sections, you know what part of town the item is located and whether or not you are willing to travel.
      Can't we use the location portion of our profile for this? It shows up right there in the first post.

I don't mind having a location associated with thread title, except that I already have a hard time making my thread title short enough to keep them from turning into "..." depending on what page I'm viewing them from.
      Peter

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

as long as I know that Peter lives in Kearny Mesa is all that matters to me location should be a must

I am:
      Piratey

Shortlinker? like bit.ly style

I am:
      Piratey

oooo ooo i got it,
      cotton candy machine

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by carlichie View Post
      as long as I know that Peter lives in Kearny Mesa is all that matters to me location should be a must

How's my favorite stalker doing?
      Peter

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

Quote Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
      How's my favorite stalker doing?
      good..I would say and you, but I've been watching you and I know your good... ...waiting for 1:30 to get off

seareef is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Sleeping... ZZZZZZ

I am:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by splitkooks View Post
      Embedding of either popular mainstream video sites, Vimeo or Youtube within a post. I know that in the latest versions of this forum software there are capabilities to do so...
      This is an upgrade MOD to Vbulletin 4.x. Coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ars3nal619 View Post

If we can get everybody to update their profile location, that would work better (Like Peter had mentioned). I can make it a mandatory field during registration.
      BFT2000 Build

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information